The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. kaijubot-uk

kaijubot-uk Keep Running

Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Mine too. First time I've cried tears of joy in... maybe forever?

Got my Red Swoop and I'm slightly disappointed. Some of the joints are lacking in resistance - they'll hold poses but feel loose when you move them, and one of the pterosaur mode feet won't peg down in bot/limb modes.

• Like Like x 3
  2. fourth_heir

fourth_heir Battles for the fun of it!

In one savage swoop, a box has arrived on my desk... whatever could it contain? ;) 

• Like Like x 5
  3. Yankee0

Yankee0 I own one jacket.

Looks fantastic, definitely worth finishing!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  5. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loving all the Endgame chat. I came out thinking it did a good job - and I still want to go see it again with my son - but IW was the better film, imho. A stronger narrative, less fan-service (though I loved some of the fan-service in Endgame) and a really interesting choice in having Thanos be the main protagonist.

Outside of the Avangers films the Captain America films pretty much make up my top 5. Weird as someone who hates jingoism to say that. Guardians 2 and Ragnorak actually end up pretty far down my list as I prefer a more serious tone.

I think the thing is - and it was never a guarantee after 20 odd films - the Russo brothers totally stuck the landing. The two creators of another tentpole franchise that now only has one more episode to go... Not so much.

In other news it's going to take some serious willpower not to order the new Stranger Things Lego set!

• Like Like x 9
  6. Saito Satoru

Saito Satoru smile

News Credits:
    Completely out of left field, but does anyone know of any store or anything that has Transformers (both HasTak and 3rd party) in Spain? Thinking of picking up stuff I missed due to shipping.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    Cheers guys. I'll get around to it at some point soon I'm sure!

• Like Like x 4
  8. motorthing

motorthing Just the Toys Ma'am

News Credits:
    Well they certainly didn't blow the budget on the packaging. image.jpeg

Agreed on Endgame. 3000+

The reaction I felt to the Original Star Wars (fuck calling it Episode IV, it was just Star Wars for the first 25 years of its existence) all the way back in 1978 is the only comparable thing I've "felt" in all my years of Cinema-going. And We're off to see if for the final time this afternoon just to help get it over the line against Avatar (the most underwhelming billion-dollar-anything in all of recorded history) and to have another laugh/cry as a family. Don't know how many more of those we are guaranteed to get in best-of circumstances.

So you're all guaranteed a sunny afternoon for sure.

Might go see John Wick (the Gunnining-continues) at the weekend - just not in the mood for it yet. And Godzilla Fights Everything is coming up and word of mouth on that so far is.........not bad.

Life goes on. Saltus tomorrow apparently

• Like Like x 14
  9. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    He says it's only logical, if that's any reassurance?

Soundwave.
    He's always just been there. So iconic they based the Decepticon insignia on his face. While Megatron was always the face of the Decepticons in all fiction, my frazzled memory insists that Soundwave was the guy that represented the 'Cons in all early advertising.Which is hardly surprising when you consider Megatron wasn't released in my country until 1985.

I want to say that Soundwave was Megatron's loyal lieutenant, always there by his side and ready to keep the rank and file in order, but my abiding memories of Soundwave are a guy that was just dying to be in charge of the Decepticons and do the bloody job properly for once. I always remember 'Dinobot Hunt!' being a story where the Autobots got their arses thoroughly kicked due to Soundwave's leadership. He was just as pragmatic some twenty years later, when he actually managed to get most of his troops out before Galvatron killed them in 'Time Wars!'.

Somebody I knew as a kid had Soundwave. I'm sure of it. But I don't have a vivid memory of playing with him until maybe 1989? I remember finding him in a friend's toybox and being fascinated with him, despite him seeming kind of oddly primitive compared to the likes of Power Master Optimus Prime, Pretender Bumblebee, and some of those double Targetmasters. Maybe I was reconnecting with a feeling from when I might have actually seen him for the first time, some four or five years earlier. Or maybe that really was the first time I'd ever laid hands on him.

Soundwave actually makes for a far more sinister and imposing figure than yer slightly goofy G1 Megatron toy. He's got it all; a headsculpt that screams alien evil menace, proportions only rivalled by Prime himself, as far as the '84 bots go, incredibly cool weapons that actually transform and store in his alt mode, and one of the most interactive and on point gimmicks of the line. In many respects he would have made a much cooler leader than Megatron (and saved on all those handgun problems) if his alt mode had been as aggressive as Megatron's and his box had been as big. Honestly, I often think it's only the extra stock, scope, and silencer that made 'Gun Robo - P38' the leading candidate for Decepticon leadership.

But I don't want that to sound like a sleight on Soundwave's alt mode. It's genuinely brilliant, and I don't think I was the only kid that thought that a tape recorder was actually a really cool toy. I loved making goofy tapes with my friends when I was a kid, and the idea of running round with a tape recorder, that just happened to be able to turn into a robot that ejected a jaguar from it's chest, was pretty cool. Especially as my tape recorder didn't run off batteries. or at least not batteries that my parents were prepared to buy.

The detail on this alt mode is fantastic, from (obviously) the functioning cassette door, to the non functioning, but moving volume and pause switches, to the fucking fantastic way his shoulder cannon and rifle convert into batteries that actually store in a bloody battery compartment. The attention to detail on this is just a delight. A belt clip, a belt clip I ask you! This toy is just so much better than it needs to be.

So, tall order for the Siege update. Even more so when you have to accommodate a Cybertronian vehicle mode while still evoking that classic G1 'bot mode.

Luckily it would seem our lad is more than up for the job. Soundwave is stunning. He's got all the essential details just right, from the iconic headsculpt, to the shoulder cannon, to the 80's cassette deck, to the buttons on his crotch, right down to the functioning eject button. It even gets the lights on the shins right.

I feel like I just need to repeat the word stunning. The attention to detail is wonderful. Even the greebling feels like it's on the right side of gratuitous. He's easily up in my top three Siege figures , along with Hound and Shockwave. And they've not scrimped on the deco budget either. The gold paint on the tape deck looks surprisingly expensive. Many people are, quite fairly, complaining about the Siege figures being shorter but it really feels like the budget is being stretched in other directions.

And, much like Sideswipe, it's not just the G1 character model this guy evokes. It's hard to look at this guy and not have thoughts of Masterpiece Soundwave cross your mind, not least for the pointed finger. Having gone off the MP line for a variety of reasons, it's nice to see some of the stronger features from the line filter down to the Generations stuff. If a design solution works...

But he has his flaws, and they are his arms. On a trivial level, this guy has the skinniest biceps on any Transformer I remember. Clearly Soundwave is not doing any of the heavy lifting. And then there are the surprisingly visibly hollow forearms, but we'll get back to why those are particularly disappointing.

So that alt mode. Yeah, I'm not really buying it either. I mean, it's not awful or anything. It's just...well, it feels like a total afterthought. I guess this is the cost that comes with prioritising the 'bot mode so. That said the transformation sequence is far too involved and considered for this to really be an afterthought, which leave us with an even scarier possibility; someone thought this looked pretty cool.

I mean, the work that's gone into this is so impressive. I'm particularly struck by the way the panels open up on the back of his calves, to reveal an extra hinged panel that completely seals the feet inside, near seamlessly, in vehicle mode. and there's no way you needed to put all the engineering in the chest to achieve that transformation. Someone wanted to do the best job they could. On a vehicle mode that's...questionable. It's confounding. And it really makes it frustrating that, after doing all that work, they left those gappy forearms.

Of course, that's not his real Cybertronian alt mode and we all know it. Yes, they have given us a lamp post and I absolutely love them for it. Does it look good. You shut your mouth with those impertinent questions! I've been waiting for this since 1984 and you're not going to harsh my buzz with a reality check!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  10. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    60348526_440739333166401_1324094350992343040_n.jpg 60288319_440739823166352_2310255602779029504_n.jpg
    QiIn.gif

• Like Like x 17
  11. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Watching the Lord of the rings Extended editions and all the documentaries has a similar effect on me - just the amount of effort, talent and heart that went into that still blows me away.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

Nice, he does have a few passable boombox modes as well, although one does require removing his arms.

I did have hit up the little gun protusion with a bit of molotow chrome just to make it look a bit more special

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Notice of package landing!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  14. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

@Insurgent,
    Fair points, I'm just irritated by the recent direction because in my head he should be more like Walt Simonson's Thor, obviously not 100% the same as there's always changes for the movies but I find the comedy offputting for that character.

That said he was involved in my highlight of Endgame when Rocket slapped him and the gag about where Rocket hid the prosthetic eye was my favourite bit of Infinity War so he's had a purpose :D 

@MyTea Boc,
    Since the dawn of the internet and non scripted "shoot" interviews where various wrestling personalities talk out of character it's become evident that it's a very sleazy business so the Hogan thing wasn't a big surprise when it came to light. But he's not the only grappler with some skeletons in the closet by any means.

Endgame was certainly more fun for me than Infinity War because 2 weeks after seeing it I can still remember most of it.

Will I see it again? Probably not in it's entirety but there'll be the odd moment that'll pop up on YouTube that I'll check out, particularly the ending which will serve as a reminder of why I could continue to be somewhat intrested beyond whatever the Guardians get up to.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  15. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    I stepped away from my desk for a meeting and came back to find a glorious Kapow package perched upon it. Mr O'Shea has landed!

I haven't followed the wrestling for years and years... but yeah I'm sure there are plenty of arseholes in the mix.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime A smile better suits a hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I believe Mr Richard O'Shea will be waiting for me when I get in. Happy days!

• Like Like x 5
  17. Leopard5

Leopard5 Human in disguise

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  18. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    The idea of a Soundwave and Shockwave that look as good as that has me practically quivering.

• Like Like x 6
  19. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Congrats on Mr O'Shea arriving!

I haven't watched WWE regularly in a very long time due to it being more talking than actual wrestling but I subscribe to the Network for old stuff and listen to a few podcasts so I get my fix that way.

There's very few of the older stars that seem squeaky clean but it's one of those businesses where being nice won't get you anywhere so whilst stuff like Hogan's racism can't be defended some of the backstabbing behind the scenes is probably par for the course even today just as it is in other lines of work.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, amazing how they managed to incorporate so much and stick the landing.
    I think ragnarok, winter soldier, infinity war would be my highlights, with endgame and captain marvel and maybe black panther behind em.

Frickin hate avatar. Enjoyed the last Godzilla and king movies quite a bit, though didn’t really have any expectations for either.

I do think he looks great, but kind of feel he needs ‘a kit’ for some little bits and pieces to push him into ‘buy’ for me. Great write up though, as always.

Nice! Who’s it from/what scale is it? Have to say I found ss bumbleop pretty disappointing (actually - anyone want him, for £30 posted? (can’t actually remember his price - that might not be a good deal)) but like the design quite a lot. And yeah, soundwave/shockwave/some jets would also be great.

• Like Like x 7