The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. scamper

scamper Well-Known Member

as much as the Marvel Netflix cancellation isn't a surprise, it is disappointing - I honestly thought that they'd have left Punisher on Netflix as it just clashes too much with the ethos of Disney - did have a co-worker giggling at the thought of Frank hunting down Mickey and Goofy - maybe that's the crossover we all need?

Robits? - purchasing has been very quiet recently ( NEVER a bad thing), and honestly happy to wait for most things at TFN - but cannot deny that if I happen to find Magnus or Shockwave at Smyths, they're both coming home with me..

• Like Like x 4
  2. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    There was a post in one of the Siege threads where someone said they'd pm'd Kapow on fb and were told the rest of wave 2 is delayed until March. I can't seem to find the original post now, for some odd reason (I'm cack handed). To be fair, March is only a week and a half away, so that's not exactly terrible. Cannae wait to get Starscream and Soundwave to round out my 'Cons. I'm surprisingly cool about the Deluxe Autobots. I'm sure that'll change when I get 'em in hand.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

TC 04 Tracks WAS501.5NRC3 1200.jpg
    TC 04 Tracks Back WNS501.5NRC3 1200.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  4. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Right, at long last it is my great pleasure to present to you...SHOCKWAVE

Expect a lot of gushing. Shockwave may well be my all time favourite Transformer.

And of course, it’s Furman’s fault. Well, not just Furman’s fault. But mainly Furman’s fault.

So the first issue of the Marvel comics I ever read was the one where Jetfire is introduced. Megatron was lost in the snow, Optimus was just a disembodied head, and the Autobots were in complete disarray. And Shockwave ruled over all with a callous indifference.

He was magnificent.

And this is all pre-Furman (for me at least). Bob Budiansky should take all the credit for making Shockwave such a compelling monster. We’ve all seen that cover, with Shockwave – one of the most alien looking of the Transformers at that point – looking like the ultimate power in this universe. And his portrayal in those comics lived up to that hype. “Yes, I can take on all the Dinobots…Yes, I can kick the shit out of Megatron and utterly humiliate him…Yes, I am much, much smarter than everyone else too”.

Magnificent.

I usually try and offer some magnanimity towards the cartoon. I know people love it, and for many it was their primary fiction, so pissing on it seems pointless and mean spirited.

I simply loved the comics so much more. That’s all.

But I cannot maintain any sense of diplomacy or tact when I talk about how Shockwave was in the cartoon. He fucking sucked. Who’s this wee simpering kiss arse? This isn’t Shockwave!

But yeah, Furman.

Shockwave did have an arc in Furman’s stories. It’s possibly why he’s burned so brightly into my memory. Starting with Robot Buster, through the Special Teams issues, Distant Thunder, the future issues, to Time Wars I read a coherent story about one of the most brilliant, powerful, terrifying Decepticons losing his mind and coming back stronger. This idea, that the master manipulator…the supreme logician, was hanging onto his sanity by his gun barrel, was utterly compelling. To me at least. Megatron just seemed rabid and hopeless half the time, all bluster and hype. But Shockwave delivered!

And of course you couldn’t buy the toy in this country. Why did they always do this? These characters I went apeshit over, Swoop, Blaster, Fort Max, the Predacons, all unavailable in the U.K.

Except I had Shockwave. Well, a cheap knock off of Astro Magnum that I found in Tandy on a summer holiday in Blackpool. I knew it wasn’t the real thing, but I also knew this was definitely Shockwave. I honestly can’t remember if I had any concept of the knock off or if I was just totally oblivious. Either way I felt like the coolest kid. I had something that my friends couldn’t just walk into John Menzies and get for themselves (all the while praying that they wouldn’t go to Tandy’s in Blackpool). Of course it broke. In fact it broke so quickly that we went back to Tandy’s to get a replacement.

Much like Jetfire, the second you get your hands on a G1 Shockwave you can tell this wasn’t designed by Takara. The whole aesthetic seems just that bit different. And man, is the fucker tall! It often strikes me as odd that the animation model portrays Shockwave as a shorter, stocky dude. To be honest, that animation model image prejudiced me towards the toy. Why were his legs so skinny? Another thing that weirds me out, and perhaps one of the key things that sets him apart from his Takara brethren, is that little pink molded hand. It just looks puffy and odd and just plain not right for this menacing figure.

And all those weird quibbles aside, the ‘bot mode is menacing. I mean, I could be projecting, but to my eye the toy has always screamed ‘impassive, unknowable, alien menace (which is a nightmare when you’re trying to get to sleep at night). The headsculpt, such as it is, certainly does a lot of that work. That single, cyclopean eye peering out at you from that hexagon feels like it burns right through you. There’s nothing relatable about that figure at all. Even a ‘Con as evil looking as Soundwave had some facial features. The upper torso and remarkably well articulated arms are design classics too. That chest design is design fantasticness. You can see why the animation model sticks so closely to it.

But it’s not all good. The skinny legs are a nightmare and the moulding round his crotch is a breakage timebomb ticking down. Likewise his cannon hand and the tube leading to it.

I always loved the ‘Space Gun’ mode. Sure a realistic Walther is a cool looking toy gun to play with, but you can only pretend it shoots bullets. What any true little 1980’s sadist wanted was a space gun that disintegrate anyone that disagreed with you. And it is very cool. Even with the partsforming barrel. It’s kind of amazing how well both modes work independently from each other. Megatron was often a fiddley, easily broken nightmare, and his ‘bot mode really suffered the compromises. But Shockwave is an excellent gun and a (mostly) excellent robot. Also, who didn’t love a clear plastic viewfinder? ZEEEEEOOOOOT!

I’ve wanted a Voyager class Shockwave for as long as I’ve been collecting CHUG. I have the incredibly diddy little FoC Shockwave, and it’s a good toy…BUT IT’S SO SHORT! I know for some people scale really isn’t a big deal, and they’d rather get characters that have never had toys than another release for the same character, but for me having a well scaled collection is what makes me want to collect the modern figures.

So, I was a little nervous as I watched the WfC:Siege leaks come out, counted down the Voyager slots and realised we weren’t getting a Voyager Shockwave. But then I thought about all the things John Warden had been saying about wanting this line to scale well, and reached the same conclusion that many other fans had reached after seeing what they were doing with Magnus. “I wonder if he’s going to be a Voyager with power up armour?”

And he was. And I was delighted.

And then I got him in hand and was beyond delighted.

I think this may well be the finest Generations figure I’ve ever seen. It’s certainly as near perfect a Shockwave as I can imagine getting (and I’ve been imagining for some years now). I talk a lot about the ‘platonic ideal’ of the Transformer character, what we all see in our mind’s eye when we imagine the subject. This is scary close! He looks like he stepped right off the page of my beloved comics.

But enough hyperbole (for the moment at least) what’s the figure like?

He is beautifully proportioned and incredibly well articulated, more so than his wave one Voyager counterparts Megatron and Prime. He’s got swivels everywhere! Even his wrists have 360 degree spin. The articulation on his neck joint is particularly impressive, lending him a remarkable amount of expression. Yes, he’s small, smaller than the Voyagers, but he really does have detail and articulation beyond the Voyager class. I don’t feel short changed because of that size, as I feel more like I feel like I’m paying for all the extra work that’s gone into him. It really is mini-Masterpiece level. Oh, and that light piped eye! Rather than the big chunk of translucent that took up the back of a figure’s head, we have the most discrete light piping panel I can recall. And once again, it suits the character down to the ground.

And, like Titans Return Sixshot before him, we have the gun that’s not a gun. Unlike Sixshot it looks brilliant as the thing it’s pretending to be as well as looking brilliant as the thing we all know it is. The simple addition of that cyclopean ‘command deck’ (also light piped, for christ’s sake) in the base of the gun handle manages to sell the idea of this being a spacecraft before you add all the extra kibble that makes the idea of this being a space faring vehicle more explicit.

I loved the transformation sequence too. I’m a complete slob and a snob when it comes to reading instructions. I usually pride myself on both my laziness and my ability to intuitively work out a transformation sequence. It’s the ones where I have to relent and look at the instructions that I tend not to remember. If I’m being honest, I found most of the fidgety Masterpiece transformations a bit joyless. And don’t get me started on the Bayverse stuff that’s passed through my hands.

This smashes up the paradigm completely by being a transformation that was memorable, enjoyable and required me to read the instructions.

I’ve seen people annoyed that they’re paying fifty quid/dollars for a figure that should be about half the price that comes with some extra crap they’ll probably leave in the box. On some level, I probably felt that way too. But I love the extra parts. For one, they enhance that spacecraft mode so incredibly well, and secondly I actually think the ‘Mecha-Shiva’ look is incredibly cool. Will Shockwave be wearing it when he’s on display? No. Did I have a load of fun making every other Siege figure wear as much as they could? Hell yes! Did that play value justify the price? When combined with the quality of the figure, yes. It definitely did. And to be fair, the practice of adding extra bits and pieces to a figure to justify the price point goes all the way back to yer G1 Megatron and Optimus. Further if we count Diaclone/Microchange.

So, do I have any complaints? Yes, and they’re amazingly trivial. His gun hand doesn’t have a little gap or indent to represent the inside of the barrel. It’s just solid. Oh, and the greebling is probably a bit unnecessary. And that’s pretty much it.

Ok, sure. I am the tiniest bit miffed he’s so small, but as I say…he’s really a step beyond, at least in sophistication, of what we’ve had in previous lines. I’d love it if he was slightly taller, but I’m really not going to lose any sleep over it.

I’m actually glad this was the last figure I got from Siege wave one, as it feels like all the excellence I’ve seen in the Deluxe and Voyager classes has been building up to this. I’m genuinely wondering how anything in the next three waves can compare.

Twenty out of ten. You’re as magnificent as ever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 22
  5. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Wicked. I was more worried it had just slipped through my email when I was mass deleting stuff a few weeks back.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    Quite a list you have there dude! Always the 'other Primes' like Logos Prime or Septimus. But They can never surpass a name like Vector Crime.

Love it!

You know over the last few years I've watched the entirety of Kimmy Schmidt, and I don't think I actually laughed at it once. Its a fine show, but kind of pales a bit in comparison with 30 Rock. Titus is great though.

Excellent! I used to make do as a kid with folding Actionmaster Blaster's legs up to the side, so this is fine by me!

I saw season 3 had been released on Amazon Prime! I started the first episode, and promptly realized I'd forgotten so much since season 2, so thats as good an excuse as any to go back and watch everything from the start again. :D 

• Like Like x 4
  7. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    @barry - name the Marvel issue based on my shitty photo.
    IMAG0917.jpg
    I always loved it when the Decepticon leaders fought.

I poked my head into the discussion on the new pics of Soundwave and Starscream. So much bitching about the battle damage and detailing on Siege figures. I get that battle paint isn't to everyone's tastes, but I for one love the detailing on the new figures.

• Like Like x 10
  8. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ace, was waiting for this :) 
    That glorious moment when an excellent toy and a character you love crosses over!

• Like Like x 5
  9. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    All this and Decepticon Civil War 2!
    Me too! From that first glorious smack down between Shockwave and Megatron. Oh, how my heart sings to remember it!

Totally! I think this was probably the most joy I've had writing one of these rambles. Shockwave is everything!

• Like Like x 5
  10. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    Got it in one. Glad these pair got a rematch in Maximum Dinobots too.

I would say that is something the IDW comics did deny us somewhat - Con leader rumbles.

Couldn't tell you which of the G1 con-on-con battles was my favourite, but it would probably be a Galvatron vs. Megatron one.

Ooooh if your twisting my arm, their fight in at the start of Target 2006 or Altered Image.

• Like Like x 4
  11. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I see this in The Entertainer this morning (SS Thundercracker) that I haven't noticed before. Is this a new or has it been around for a while?
    2019-02-20 09.30.34.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

Lovely review and rememberburgs Burt, a cracking meander through your back passages of love.

• Like Like x 4
  13. fourth_heir

fourth_heir Battles for the fun of it!

'twas a great fight, so naturally one that I chose to homage in an art contest some years back... ;) 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  14. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    Love it!

• Like Like x 4
  15. fourth_heir

fourth_heir Battles for the fun of it!

Thanking you muchly :) 

• Like Like x 4
  16. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    That's one of the things I liked about Maximum DInobots, how many of the iconic G1 comic scraps it managed to hark back to. Also, it was a better farewell to Furman than Revelation.

My favourite leader fight is actually the one in 'Second Generation'. It's a bit of a pity Jeff Anderson drew it. While I love him, his stuff doesn't have the exaggerated dynamics of yer Seniors or yer Wildman's.

I hope you didn't find said back passages too dusty or unkempt!

NICE! I mean, I think Shockwave should be hammering the shit out of Scorponok, but I lack objectivity.

• Like Like x 7
  17. MyTea Boc

Ebay:
    Definitely glad he got to tie up loose ends in MD. I have a few problems with that series, but overall, its Dinobots doing what Dinobots do best. Smashing shit up :D 

pffft. Maybe if Shockwave had his Shiva gear on and Scorponok had one claw tied behind his back ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  18. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

BT Takara 07 Smokescreen GT WAS501.5NRC7 1200.jpg
    BT Takara 07 Smokescreen GT Back WAS501.5NRC7 1200.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  19. Collectotron

Collectotron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nick Roche just got added to the TFN guest list

So far
    Nick Roche,
    James Roberts,
    Simon Furman,
    Gregg Berger &
    Peter Spellos

• Like Like x 10
  20. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    @barry As superb a summation as ever!
    I might end up with a "Mortilus" if I wangle an SS Cogman to re-head.
    Squeaky wheels, eh? Not even the promise of the 35th Anniversary line and the knowledge that hasbro are well up for reusing moulds in Platinum, etc., eh? Thay want their clean versions NAOW!

• Like Like x 3