The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Ah so the large plastic case came in the slipcase? I feel slightly robbed. It was slightly cheaper than I;ve seen elsewhere though, possible re-release or cheaper becase the case was lost.

Eh good either way

• Like Like x 5
  2. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    It might just be the different distance but your front cover seems to have a tighter margin with less case plastic showing at the opening side than @Lothar Hex's, though of course them covers can slip about in their sleeves sometimes as well. :sly: 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Underlord

Underlord Frontier Psychiatrist.

News Credits:
    Clacton UK, where houses randomly explode
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The entire first generation. Minus Headmasters, Super God Masterforce, Victory, and Zone. :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  4. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

But with pics from three of those on the back cover.:confused: 

• Like Like x 6
  5. darthgordy

darthgordy Well-Known Member

0C74ADCF-A548-4A29-9B4E-C72B7A45A591.jpeg I took kid C1 to Edinburgh’s National Museum for the robots exhibition. More sciencey than movies but TFs still conspicuous by their absence. (except for a £13 metal earth Megatron in the gift shop.

• Like Like x 9
  6. simond

simond Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the prompt, looks like AE have mine waiting to ship though I’ve had no email. So yours should get sent very soon :) 

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lothar Hex

News Credits:
    So, anybody remember Toys R Us? OK daft question. But does anybody remember what the last Toys R Us exclusive Transformer was? This guy, Studios Series Thundercracker. He arrived just in time to be heavily discounted in the Toys R Us bankruptcy, like literally less than a month later. He became kind of a hot ticket in the US for a bit. Here in the UK? We just looked on at another toy we weren’t gonna get. However, it seems that The Entertainer picked up a load of excess Toys R Us stock as they bunged them in their shops for £17.49. So here we are with a movie Thundercracker who isn’t a repaint of Starscream!

[​IMG][​IMG]

So yeah he’s a repaint of the really good The Last Knight Nitro Zeus, with all the decent if limited articulation intact. The always fun Thew reviewed him a while ago so I’d recommend checking out his review of it for the info on the original here. So what do we get with the Thundercracker version? A new head-sculpt loosely based on movie Starscream’s, some more paint applications, and an arguably better colour scheme. Nitro Zeus was one of only three toys I got from the Last Knight line and he is one of my favourite movie toys.

So why don’t I like Thundercracker as much as the original?

[​IMG]

Honestly? I think it does come down to his colour choices in some ways. Nitro Zeus may have a rather dull grey and black pallet, but the shade of grey used is weirdly vibrant He pops a bit, plus his Shockwave fanboy eye with the yellow monocle helps. Thundercracker is very dark in colour. The flash in my camera makes him look far more vibrant than he actually is. He has some Decepticon badges on his wings which are black, but they blend with the blue way too much. There’s also seems to be degradation in the toy mould, or the type of plastic used for him seems more slippery” than Nitro Zeus’, because all his tabs and tolerances are noticeably looser. For example, his ankles while able to support his weight, were more prone to tipping over if not balanced exactly right. I sorted that out with a quick screw tightening, but there’s also his arm cannon, which likes to slip out a little if you compress it. Not much of an issue as I keep it out for display, but it’s just an example of how he doesn’t feel as solid as Zeus in either mode. His left shoulder pad almost always pops off during transformation and his nosecone un-tabs a lot easier than Nitro’s ever did.

Moving on to the only new piece of the toy, the head-sculpt. It’s supposedly based on an early head for Starscream, less bird and more spider. In fact, to me, it looks like someone took Movie Starscream and Beast Wars Tarantulas and mashed them together. I keep flip flopping on if it works or not.

[​IMG]

As with Nitro Zeus (yeah a running theme huh?), his head also detaches as it is Titan Master compatible, a holdover from an earlier script where the movie character and headmaster Cogman would have taken over Nitro Zeus body at some point. It’s not much use, but hey can be fun for fiddling with your spare Titan Masters and possibly for customs.

[​IMG]

Transformation to jet mode is still fun but hindered a little by the lesser tolerances, and the jet mode itself is fine, but the problems with the blue are exacerbated. There’s some nice G1-esque red and silver on the wings but this really could have used a lighter shade of blue. It would just pop more.

[​IMG]

Honestly, I don’t have much more to say on the guy. He’s a good mould made slightly worse due to tolerance issues and a too dark paint job. I like him, but I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for him.

But hey if they do this in Skywarp colours I am so in!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  8. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

TC 08 inferno WAS50C3 1200.jpg
    TC 08 Inferno Back WNS50C3 1200.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  9. Liokaiser1989

BT Takara 09 Swindle WAS501.5NRC8 1200.jpg
    BT Takara 09 Swindle Back WAS501.5NRC8 1200.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  10. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Looking at the hell dogs that came with my Peru kill I think it might actually be the UT version and not the BSL KO. It was sold as the UT version but I bought it off eBay without any packaging for a steal (£25) so just assumed it was the KO at that price - but on watching bens comparison video, the dog I have is not the black and brown colouration that came with the KO, it is silver and brown!? Not that it really bothers me because I am happy either way but I guess I potentially got even more of a bargain!

2753AAD8-E1F1-48FA-98D4-773C36C531AD.jpeg

Transformation was fairly intuitive as others have said and the Lamborghini mode is proper gorgeous. Here are a couple of pics with the OSKOAOE lockdown and SS lockdown.

D5993191-FB8C-4B00-B1AF-680932648AF2.jpeg CDD6A9A3-567C-4488-AB81-31C674F65EE0.jpeg

and in pursuit of bumblebee...

70C0260D-F68F-4D9C-9679-2E6D16C070AE.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 13
  11. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    "QUERY: WHO NEEDS HANDS?"
    DSC_0044.JPG
    "CONCLUSION: APPENDAGES OVERRATED."

Also Grey Market Overlords all up in Smyths? I can wait 'em out in case of discount.

• Like Like x 9
  12. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

I got my tracking info from AmiAmi on Saturday!

I've come to the conclusion that ships like the Phoenix mean more to me as an adult collector as I never had one as a kid, so if somebody can now make an X Bomber that's big enough to incorporate fully combining Dai X vehicles that'd fill another gap.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Lothar Hex

News Credits:
    rr12p1.jpg rr12p2.jpg rr12p3.jpg rr12p4.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  14. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    IMG_20190224_114953.jpg
    Ant-Man pushes an Ant-Pram.

• Like Like x 10
  15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
  16. waffel

waffel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    okay, so at this point I think its safe to assume Hasbro UK are going to miss the February estimate of release for the new studio series figures.

Dammit, it's not kapow's fault but it genuinely does mean I might go elsewhere in the future just so I can get it sooner

• Like Like x 4
  17. f0cus

f0cus You can call me Sir

Meanwhile pink mech squats over fountain like a bidet?

• Like Like x 8
  18. HuffR_WFCTX_91135

HuffR_WFCTX_91135 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I lucked out and found a place that had the siege wave one leaders, still need Optimus, I suspect my local A1 shop might get them in next week but even they don't know. Are the Voyagers even out at general retail yet?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Liokaiser1989

G1 MB Ransack WNS501.5NRC5 1200.jpg
    G1 MB Ransack Back WNS501.5NRC5 1200.jpg
    MOSC

MB version

• Like Like x 10
  20. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Yep, Prime and Megs have hit Smyths and UK small retailers but not The Entertainer AFAIK.

• Like Like x 3