The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I'm not gonna go devote a massive post about where i'm at, because it's mostly already been said by everybody today.

I'm all but done with Prime. I've tried to stay interested, but the hunt for Ratchet at retail has gotten tedious now, and nowhere around here seems bothered in stocking anything beyond wave 1. I may pick up Weaponizer Prime if he ends up in Argos, and if I feel like buying something for the hell of it...or I may not.

I think i'll be sticking to a select stuff in future. Assuming Generations wave 1 will be readily available, i'll grab Shockwave, and maybe Bruticus if I can. FoC Sideswipe and Grimlock will probably be bought too, but that's about it from the upcoming stuff - and I get the feeling i'll be heading to Andy to grab the post wave 1 stuff there. Good ol' Alternators and MP's will be getting more focus too.

Saying that, space is a factor here as well. I'm fast running out of room, and with the intention of moving out after I finish uni in a couple of years, more clutter isn't going to do me any favours (this is what i'm trying to tell myself).

Guess the bottom line is, we're all feeling the brand is getting stale in one aspect or another. Perhaps the G2 Bruticus is a bit of an omen...look what happened to the Transformers brand during Generation 2.

@Broot - That poster is fantastiqúe!

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    UK retail is shit, but I've been getting most of my stuff online or at shows since Armada so I'm really not too fazed. The only time I've seen half decent UK distribution is for movie toys, which I seldom like anyway.

Personally, I'm loving the fandom at the moment, as we have loads of choice at the moment, and everyone can have a fairly unique collection. I think half the problem is people on the boards try and play keeping up with the joneses as I've said before, but who wants the same collection as the next guy. After the movie, we were always gonna see a drop off, but at the risk of repeating myself I'll play the self-centred game. I don't mind if people leave the hobby, just as I didn't mind the influx of new peeps. Everyone is welcome and although the game changes, I don't mind playing the game different ways. When the fandom is large and rapid I am happy to sell, trade and grow my collection that way, when we hit the natural downturn I hope some of the prices will drop a little on high-end G1 stuff and I'll be cleaning up as a buyer.

All I will say is if people cut down or drop-out, I hope they still feel they can frequent this thread, because at the risk of being a soppy shit there are some decent people on the boards, and they shouldn't feel they're not part of the club just because they haven't bought super-rare Tak exclusive Million publishing AM micron testicles for a movie Devy upgrade or some shit. Once a UKTF'er, always a UKTF'er...or something.

3. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

Wave 2, it took Hasbro 6 months to put out two new deluxes in the UK; whoppee....

I love the Prime line, I really do. I'm determined to finish it, Dark Energon series too. After that tho', I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm done. It'll be MP's and ehobby-style items that get my focus along with Encore/G1.

Sadly bar a few premium items a year, most of my money will be going to aftermarket sales. Well played Hasbro, well played.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

So much truth and familiarity. It's not just you mate.

5. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I can see TFC doing Omega Supreme eventually. Sky Lynx I doubt anyone will pick up.

6. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

I would sell a kidney for an updated Sky Lynx. Always been tempted by the Encore but...

Anyhow, I just walked 63 miles in 24 hours, 33 minutes, climbing the equivalent of Ben Nevis and Snowdon. If anybody would like to sponsor my team, we're still £600 short of what we promised the Gurkhas we'd raise. And, fuck me, Gurkhas have serious knives. Link is in the signature.

So, no new TFs sighted anywhere. Much as I agree with and understand a lot sadness on here, it reminds me of the benefit of only buying stuff at retail: You quickly learn that your collecting will go through lean spells and you don't expect much. I'm already resigning myself to not seeing half the stuff from SDCC. All I ask is the opportunity to find either Wheelie or Blaster. (And a Vehicon in the meantime.)

7. HugeBadWolf

HugeBadWolf XO in charge of radishes

News Credits:
    Well done mate, that's impressive!
    Will fire some ££ at the end of the month to stop you getting cut up :) 

Cheers,
    Doug

8. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Cheer up everyone! Take a step back and you'll realise that there are good toys around at the moment, you just have to look a little harder (an possibly pay a bit more, but hey!). Also step back and realise we have a fantastic little community here that I'm sure others on these boards would love to be a part of, but can't due to geography.

We're in great danger of becoming the entitle-ists we come to the UK thread to hide from. An attitude of "I've seen a toy on my computer screen, and it is therefore my right to own it easily and cheaply" really doesn't suit us hardy Brits. Not that anyone here is behaving in that way, but the point it, we're better than that.

I've done another poster, one that better expresses my sentiments ;) 

[​IMG]

9. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This board REALLY needs a 'like' button! Awesome.

10. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I once hit a Gurkha in the face with a volleyball. Fuck me, I have never run so far or so fast in my entire life. I've got some £££ coming in soon so I'll send some your way. Bloody great work you're doing (and I will leave it at that to stop this going into politics)

Brooticus: keeping it real UK style.

11. Brooticus

News Credits:
    Good job, man! I've not got a lot of money to play with right now, but can I make a small paypal donation?

Also, I can remember who the Deadpool fanboy is here, but I've just seen the trailer for the game (made by High Moon, no less) and it seems to have the tone right! Check ign.

12. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Aw shucks, guys. I know a lot of us here have cash probs so please don't sponsor me unless you have the spondoolicks spare.

doomboy - I'd imagine you would run. Those fuckers are tough and quick.

Also, Brooticus, that and the previous poster are magnificent.
    Could I request a desktop-size and proportion reversion of the second one? (My Singin' In The Rain stormtrooper needs a change.)
    I also agree with your sentiments.

Think of it this way, the longer you have to wait for FOC Grimlock, the more time you have to enjoy playing with your MP version.

13. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FOC Grimlock looks brilliant, but why would I buy it? I have a hard time picking up singular toys.
    I did get RTS Jazz (x2) and tracks, but they're the only CHUGURTS I own.

14. Brooticus

News Credits:
    Cheers, PM me your email address and I'll send you a large, high quality version. If anyone else wants one let me know!

15. Sweeny

Sweeny Electric Monk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All the other comments have perfectly described the UK situation and encapsulate how I feel and intend to continue to collect TFs despite the difficulties/depressing retail market. However Broot's comments are spot on. It's not doom and gloom, the whole popularity of TFs has ebbed and flowed over the years and it still blows my mind that they exist at all after 28 years. The toys are good, so sit back, have a beer and fire up the laptop to track them down.

That is absolutely fantastic!

Yeah, Omega would be amazing but can't see us ever getting anothe Sky Lynx.

16. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Only if I can put it on a t-shirt!.... Although, the many ways that slogan could be misunderstood makes me chuckle inside.

17. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

See, I'm a total Sky Lynx fanboy.

Can you imagine if the character had an update for Prime or TF4 (TFA would have been ideal), or if IDW gave it a spotlight?

The fan clamour for a reimagined Sky Lynx would be through the roof.

Who doesn't like an aristocratic goose / puma / jet plane?

18. Sweeny

Sweeny Electric Monk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When you put it like that....:cool: 

19. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

If you think about it, Sky Lynx really is the best TF ever.

Imagine if an updated toy came with shades and a noise chip that said: "Deal with it," in Sky Lynx's voice.

20. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I hate to say it, but as a kid I never wanted Sky Lynx as a toy, and as an adult the damn cartoon character is the second most annoying of all time, after Blurr.