The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    Still, £36 for a Hot Toys figure is a good deal in my book! Congratulations on winning! :) 

That reminds me, if I had the funds I'd be all over the Netflix Daredevil and Punisher they're making. I normally don't feel enough of a connection to any Marvel or DC properties but those two... I so would. Take that how you will. :D 

Really gutted to hear about Galaxy Meteor, no connection to the UT myself but Maketoys' stuff is always top quality and it was a super nice design. Perhaps it'll see a limited release from their online shop further down the line.

2. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i was only collecting hot toys and sideshow starwars and was planning on keeping it that way as expensive but this figure has got me wanting more now might have to buy harley quin and deadshot to go with it :lol  and batman :D  i quite like the look of the incomng ht ghost rider too

• Like Like x 1
  3. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

That is the only pretender beast I'm missing.

To be honest the Marvel UK comics are partially responsible for my love of Pretender Beasts.

• Like Like x 3
  4. chucksbikeorama

chucksbikeorama Decepticreep

Youch, MP8 = KO!

It's true, you cannot fook with FansToys quality

• Like Like x 1
  5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Mmm, what a weekend. We went down to Southampton to visit family and stuff and as a bonus I found a bunch of cheap discounted toys! I found a TR Loudmouth (ASDA £1.70 from £5.99) and Marvel Select Black Widow (Disney Store £3.97 from £19.99) and a PR movie Rita Repulsa (£2 from £10) which was admittedly a curiousity purchase. We then went to Paultons Park (and thus Peppa Pig World) on Sunday.

Loudmouth is a Titan Master, so I know what to expect, but I did find his car thing to be pretty cool. Reminded me a lot of Action Master Wheeljacks car. The Black Widow was something I've eyed for ages but never wanted to pay that much for, and I'm glad I didn't. Decent enough sculpt but the articulation (around the hips) are pretty shocking and limit pretty much any kind of pose beyond standing straight. The Rita Repulasa was just an impulse buy, but actually it's a solid little figure and for £2 I couldn't really go wrong.

Now these cheap prices were in Southampton, and I have to admit I haven't seen S'ton that grotty... well, ever. There were a lot of homeless people (more than I've ever seen there) and on Saturday at 6:00 on the high street (when everything was closing) there was a really busy table at the market. I wondered what it was... it was a food bank.

Madness.

And if you'll excuse the incredibly crass transition I do have a question. The Marvel Select (ha!) Black Widow has hands moulded to hold handguns, but alas, there aren't any. So, does anyone know where I can get decent handguns for 6'' figures? I looked around and MacFarlane toys did an accessory pack but that's long sold out nowadays. Any suggestions?

Edit
    Oh wait, I found some stuff when I did a serach for 1/12 guns. Hrm.
    Edit
    Ooog, they're really expensive... I was expecting a few quid for a few guns, not £13 for 6...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. privatespoon

privatespoon Well-Known Member

You have an odd definition of the word 'beautiful'. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  7. OptimushedPrune

OptimushedPrune Impressive Member

News Credits:
    No, not in the slightest, I really like the looks of that Starscream but don't have the funds.............

Edit, and they've cancelled it. Balls.

8. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    Why wouldn't you love them? Beasties with armor and weapons! I always preferred they Pretender shells that weren't human looking. The more hideous the better.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Well, @Sixo and I have decided that since we have the MakeToys Galaxy Meteor figure in hand, and it is utterly lovely, we will do what we can to make some noise about it, using the #GetMakeToysMade hashtag on Twitter and hopefully rally the troops to encourage MakeToys to offer whatever production stock they have committed to to being released via their own website or retail channels.

Go make some noise!!!

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 13
  10. Dreago

Dreago 3 whole bits!

Twitter:
    Doing what I can, and will get him in front of the camera when I get home too.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Yeah Soton is a bit crappy - I never go in there these days - it's not the same since the shops moved into the soulless west quay center, Where I live a few minutes away it's a fairly well off area but last year we had some homeless people hanging around for a few months for the first time ever. Still, Yay! Brexit!

12. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I know that's probabaly 80% a rhetorical question, but as a comics nerd it just highlighted how bozard and barmy the whole 'Pretender' concept was from any sort of storytelling point fo view. Like, looking at any of the non-monsterous Pretender shells then asking any of the hundred questions that come up beginning with "why would they..." will just cause your brain to pop!

• Like Like x 3
  13. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

@stevil33,
    I think it's a strength of the original G1 Grimlock design that both MP08 and Grinder didn't really make huge changes to the transformation. If it's not broke....

Finished watching The Defenders last night and overall thought it was OK. As expected my favourite bits involved Daredevil & related characters but Luke and Danny had some nice banter that made them a bit more entertaining than in their respective series.

That said I think Iron Fist needs a mask as all that grounded in reality, non costume malarkey is bullshit particularly when Daredevil is already in costume. A mask would also allow different martial arts experts to be used as stunt doubles and make Danny look like he's the master he's supposed to be which he hasn't so far.

I also think Jessica Jones needs writing out/outright killing off as she's the worst female character in the Netflixverse. Not sure what the thinking was but a superhero that's reminiscent of the gobby, binge drinking slappers that can be found vomiting into taxis in the early hours of the morning most weekends in any town centre doesn't work for me.

Claire Temple, Misty Knight and Colleen Wing were all much more intresting to me during this series and the past ones and Karen Page was also really good particularly during her scenes with Frank Castle in Daredevil series 2.

Speaking of the Punisher, I'm really looking forward to his Netflix series in November.

• Like Like x 4
  14. PC Brodimus

PC Brodimus Leader of the Sarcastatrons

Fenglulu2011 store is now empty. Predictably, he's about to split.

15. Braddock

Braddock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nipples.JPG So my deskbots tend to hang around a while, once they join the mob on the desk, they can be there for weeks, if not for ever, and as you can see, they can be part of a party whose guest list is varied to say the least.
    As a second hand collector (wait, aren't we all)? You get used to certain pieces having the same issues, Classics planes no rockets, G1 Blitzwing no turret, Animated Megs no swords/rotors, I could go on...and on....
    So it was no surprise that Leader 1 here will be walking everywhere from now on, due to a lack of wings, and it appears he mainly crawls places on his front due to the chest scrapage, although I question the sticker placement by its previous owner, being only one step away from nipple tassels.....

• Like Like x 4
  16. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uh oh, is this about to get slash?! ...transformers toy fumetti slash fiction; now there's a niche.

The feet and hands aren't quite doing it for me, but otherwise, that Swindle looks really nice.

And 'Yikes!' to that dude!

How can anyone not like a pig with a drill for a snout?!

Just saw the dx9 Thorner and rager images on the frontpage; they look awesome! I've never really paid attention to the legends scaled stuff, but out of interest, what are the highlights of the various (3p) figures out there?

And finally, I'm a bit of a wreck today (not in any serious way) due to a kayaking course over the weekend, so to put off the increasing feeling of dire hopelessness over my job hunting, made a couple of tweaks to the painting I posted the other day whilst I recover on the couch. Just adjusted the lighting and bumped the saturation. eh.
    internal politics v2.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    HAHAH OMG THOSE STICKERS.

Seriously, just look up Super Gobots Leader 1 on Google, practically every one is stickered wrong. Having said that, the stickers on mine (the stars with the stripes) were too long to go across the wingspan anyway, I had to chop them down. I can imagine a whole generation of kids baffled by these oh so slightly oversized stickers.

Edit
    I dunno if this is going to be blindingly obvious, but have you tried overlaying the line art over the colours?

copy.jpg

Because from what I can tell it works on every level?

Edit
    Okay, now you've got me playing. What if we take a leaf out of Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell and darken everything making the only light sources the monitors and eyes? I darkened everything but the monitors and eyes and added glow to them too.

copy 2.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  18. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Oh, I've got no qualms about depacking sub-£50 items to get into a smaller box but like I said in the humorous sketch based on real events it really was 6 - 8 Transformers between (Old Big) Deluxe, Voyager and Ultra scale at about £80 - £90 quidsworth (at my rather generous pricing), even unboxed you're not getting them in anything smaller than a Large Parcel (or at least not suitable protectively wrapped/packed for my personal standards/peace of mind).

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    This for the chinese ebayer thread?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Absolutely! Hopefully there's still a chance to get this thing made if we all work positively together. The #GetMakeToysMade hashtag is already starting to take off a bit, so let them know that you're still up for seeing Galaxy Meteor get released in some fashion, even if it's just through their own online store or whatever.

I'm sure emails to [email protected] will help too. :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 14