The UK GD Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xaran Alamas, Dec 17, 2021.

1. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Slightly fucking annoyed after starting to assemble the new ferret cage and discovering multiple missing parts :banghead: 

The refund and return process is already underway so that'll be sorted but the soonest I can get another cage delivered is a few days which means I've had to send the breeder a message to say there'll be a slight delay to me being able to pick them up :banghead: 

@Insurgent,
    Look for these covers,
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Divebomb

Divebomb "Not without incident"

Finally got a robot space nurse to look after my space babies!

PXL_20240620_141851605.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  3. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

A new cage from a different brand with some bonus bits has now been ordered and will be here Tuesday so hopefully this one will be complete.

Maisie the breeder has been very understanding about the delay and has sent across the final contract for me to read through and sign before returning it and I'll be making the other half of the payment as well so this delay to the new ferrets arrival is frustrating but it'll give me a bit of extra time to ensure everything else is in place and I can also catch up on the last couple of days where I've not been able to get out for my usual walks.

"The French Connection" has just arrived so I'll watch that this evening.

There's something about the films of the 1970's I really like, they have a certain look and feel, the wide eyed innocence and optimism of previous decades is gone which reflects an industry based in a nation that had just been through 'Nam but whilst the movies are darker and more cynical in nature none seem to descend into the sort of joyless experience that the likes of Christopher Nolan call cinema and the writing and characterisation are usually so far beyond anything made today because back then the industry couldn't use technology as a get out of jail card to distract audiences and paper over the cracks.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  4. gtf316

gtf316 Nuked in the face.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So this is where you all ended up?!

Hello strangers

• Like Like x 6
  5. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

Dammit...he found us :p 

• Like Like x 3
  6. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Bits of "The French Connection" remind me of "The Sweeney" which is a very good thing.

New York and LAHHHNNDAHHHNNN are very different settings but Popeye Doyle is cut from very similar cloth to Jack Regan on and off the job and there's a similar mix of police brutality, shootouts and car chases. Right at the start there's a chase across some waste ground which ends with Doyle and his partner beating up a suspect that's reminiscent of the opening credits of "The Sweeney" and that 70's grittiness is readily apparent in both.

Among the more obvious differences are that the guns are bigger and called guns instead of "shooters" and nobody is referred to as "Guvnor" :D 

I've seen the sequel once and it was OK, but not as memorable as the original which is usually the case with sequels across the entire history of film and television.

I should have "Young Frankenstein" for tonight's viewing which should be fun as aside from Gene Wilder's performance I'm intrested to see Marty Feldman as Dad showed me some of his comedy series years ago and I liked it.

This sketch is a great example of what he was about,
    Marty Feldman cricket sketch - YouTube

"Blazing Saddles" should be here next week then from there I might give "The Producers" a go as the only other Mel Brooks movie I've seen previously is "Spaceballs" which in 2024 is more appealing as a Star Wars movie than all the new content because it never once tries to make the audience believe it's being serious :D 

A week to go to SDCC. I'm hoping to see,

Mattel = MOTU Origins is the priority.

A full reveal and price on the Snake Lair would be nice as that way I can decide whether I'll bother with the nonsense that'll ensue with one of their crowdfunders.

Origins Cartoon Collection....Tri-Klops, Ram Man, She-Ra, Swift Wind, Bow and Hordak would be a hell of a start as they've already been rumoured or hinted in card art and the Heroic Warriors need a vehicle which gives them a tap in if they finally make the Battle Ram because the existing Sky Sled wouldn't need too much retooling to look more cartoony.

More vintage characters.....all are good but wouldn't mind Rio Blast and Stonedar being among the next ones.

Vintage vehicles = Bashasaurus seems most likely given it's multiple appearances in card art but I would be happy with others too, even smaller ones like the Jet Sled!

Powers Of Grayskull = Hopefully it'll be more than Geldor. Dinosaurs, giants and Not Leela have all been teased in card art and it'd be nice if they went a bit further into it than they have 200x so far.

Masterverse = Meteorbs. If only for the meltdowns from the types of fan that insist something "isn't MOTU" despite there being a bit of everything in it since it's creation.

Mattel WWE = Finished prototypes of the Ultimate Editions of Dusty Rhodes and The Great Muta and hopefully a reveal of CM Punk for that line.

A public apology for their Bret Hart sculpts followed by Bret putting those responsible in the Sharpshooter and applying real pressure to their joints instead of working :p 

Mondo Toys = Evil Lyn prototype and news of other upcoming figures as they hinted at 2 or 3 more reveals for this year in one of their podcasts a while back.

I think they'll also have painted versions of Scare Glow v2 and Scare Mare on display which should look spectacular.

Some idea of a pre-order date for the "They Live" John Nada would also be nice and if they can do Jack Burton and Snake Plissken without botching the likenesses I'm open to getting those as well.

NECA = News on Giant Krang's release, Prince Barin, Klytus and Zarkov for the Flash Gordon movie line and I'm also open to other versions of ALF and selected musicians should they make them and wouldn't mind a Peter Cushing Van Helsing to go with the upcoming Christopher Lee Dracula.

Super 7 = Another Ultimates Lemmy (Later Years), Spinal Tap Ultimates and all the Ro-Bear Berbils!

Jada Toys = Street Fighter. Final Fight license announcement would be a bonus.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    SDCC is end of July I thought.

• Like Like x 2
  8. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

That would be me getting my months mixed up! :D 

Here's some of Mattel's Exclusives,
    Mattel SDCC 2024 Exclusives - HBK, Street Sharks, Batman, Secret Wars and More - The Toyark - News

I'll be intrested to see what the MOTU Exclusives are.

The rumour mongers have suggested,

Tuvah and Baddrah ( The initial talk was that it would actually be Two Bad so but if that happens it'll be Peak Mattel so whilst entirely possible their individual personas would seem more likely. )

Some sort of variation on a Cartoon Collection She-Ra ( Rooted hair maybe? )

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  9. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

I really enjoyed "Young Frankenstein" as it takes the piss out of the Universal originals without belittling them and that alone shows how good Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder's writing was but the whole thing is brilliant and I say that as someone who isn't the biggest fan of American humour as I can't stand their sitcoms but don't mind movies like this or standup comedians such as Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr.

The whole cast were fantastic, the story moved along nicely and the one dick joke was inserted (Oo-er missus! :D ) perfectly into the story.

After seeing Peter Boyle in "Taxi Driver" as a worldly wise cabbie who tried to give Travis Bickle some advice it was quite the contrast seeing him as Frankenstein's Monster but he's great!

Best line,

Gene Wilder's Dr Frankenstein to Marty Feldman's Igor,
    "Damn your eyes!"
    "Too late!"

:D 

Nowadays a line like that would cause Twatter to kick off in faux outrage on Feldman's behalf but he made his thyroid condition work in his favour via his comedy instead of being a victim and did very well for himself.

Done sparingly I think a bit of 4th wall breaking is fine and that's the case here, whereas with Deadpool it's all the time so the novelty soon wears off.

I'm looking forward to "Blazing Saddles" arriving in the week and have added "The Producers" and "Spaceballs" to my list of blu-rays to get off Amazon and could also give "Robin Hood:Men In Tights" a go at some point.

The more of these classics I watch the more my feeling increases that the biggest reboot entertainment needs is good writing.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

WATCH: Disney VP confesses company won’t hire, promote white males

Needless to say, the mainstream media is finding it difficult to report that Disney is racist for financial gain. Oh rather that's Disney's aim, it's did nothing but cost them money and their brand reputation.

There's already a legal case started previously and plenty of anecdotal evidence emerging every month. Michael there has taken a leave of absence and deleted his LinkedIn :oops: 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Astro-Furby

Just spotted MOTU Filmation figures in Smyths, mine has Evil Lyn, Webstor and Mer-Man

• Like Like x 3
  12. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Did you spot "The French Connection"? One of the best uncredited cameos of all time, a pure ballet of a slapstick bit, and Hackman & Boyle nail it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Sure did!!

It took me a minute or two to realise but once the lightbulb went off it made the scene even more enjoyable!

On the extras there's some archive interviews with Gene Wilder who said Hackman was a friend and was willing to do anything to be in a Mel Brooks movie, right down to a small walk on part so Wilder had a word with Mel and they came up with the blind man for him so he got to do something very different from his usual tough guy characters and was clearly loving it.

Peter Boyle was great as well, the childlike innocence his Monster displayed added something extra that made him seem more rounded and not a one dimensional copy of the Universal originals before, a great example of how a great script and a great actor can create cinematic gold.

And THAT song and dance routine! :D :D :D :D 

• Like Like x 3
  14. Astro-Furby

Trying to decide if I want the ML Weapon of Vengeance figure, I do like the flaming head and claws but its on an older body, I already have the older brown suit so this would just be a new head and claws.

Why could they have used a pinless body? Would have been a definite buy from me

• Like Like x 1
  15. Siege Fan

I've long suspected their spreadsheet balances if they use previous tooling, the difference between a red or green light.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Siege Fan

This is a British-developed game and potentially you could still sue today.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Her holiness THE Grace Jones absolutely dominated the stage at The Piece Hall last night, a living Legend, barnstorming from 'Nightclubbing' thru to 'Slave to the Rhythm' with self-effacing banter in between ("Hello, Manchester!" *Told it's not Manchester*"Ah, this tour's such a blur I don't know where the f*** I am - Hi there, Halifax!"
    "It stretches - if it stretches, it fits!"
    "Do any of you know French? I bet most of you don't know what the f*** I'm singing about!"), a visual as well as sonic spectacular, with a hat for every occasion (and possibly every song!).
    Ending the main set with a 15 minute rendition of 'Slave to the Rhythm', and hula-hooping for the duration - AT 76 - and AFTER belting out 'Pull Up To The Bumper' whilst high-fiving the front row of the crowd from the shoulders of a burly chap, Thunderdome masterBlaster-style - AT 76!?!
    Then finishing off with some improvised acappella riffing because "I'm usually late - but this time I've finished early, do you want more?"
    We sure did.
    A Living Legend, and Pure Performer, what a pleasure and good fortune to get to see her! (Not my footage we were more sensibly further back where Mum could sit down due to her recovering knee and coccyx!)

Exceptionally fortunate as I managed to snag a pair of FREE General Admission tickets, and I would have been sending my Mum and sibling, if it hadn't turned out my sister was too mega busy this weekend, so it was me and me Mam who had a ball last night! Top Gig!

• Like Like x 4
  18. Siege Fan

• Like Like x 1
  19. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    The "Mistake" is being made by folks who think Rey being a nobody is a mistake, and not a way to kick the doors in on Space Jesus Chosen One BS.
    It's actually a great message for a Kid-friendly Family show to basically say an ordinary life can be extraordinary, and you DON'T have to have the super-secret DNA source of abilities to do extraordinary things, you can rise to circumstances.
    That "mistake" blew the doors open to vastly expand what Star Wars is and can do but due to the Haus of Maus caving to the overly vocal backlash, instead they're back to pissing about in the same tiny sandbox of toys for eternity, where everybody is so interrelated they're effectively in Space Banjo Country.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Siege Fan

Disney-owned Lucasfilm gotta Lucasfilm. Not that George hadn't lost the run of himself in the 90s. A reboot's coming and they'd be better just grasping the nettle now in case that isn't even an option after the next 5 years. There's simply no reason to trust Disney with that franchise now.

• Like Like x 1