The UK GD Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xaran Alamas, Dec 17, 2021.

1. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

It's clearly an armour Duncan built to assist in his one man war against Trollans! :D 

The spikes on the helmet are good for taking out their eyes as they hover at head height to most humans.

A club as hard as a turtle shell will be great for cracking skulls and he's probably used his connection to the Sorceress to have each piece of armour given some enchantment that repels all Trollan magic should any of it actually work! :D 

EDIT,
    Rokkon has been posted! :rock 

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Squeezed a cheeky last minute (or rather last 50 minutes) WotW'88 Ep. 10 'The Good Samaritan' which is the show firing on all cylinders and absolutely rolling along, opening with the "Martian" hand gripping the planet Earth graphic that's burned into my brain from the Friday night midnight viewings of my youth. I'm not sure if they got around to always using that when it was opening the narrative on the "Martian" side but, after the cut to the black title card with the now established sample line of dialogue from later in the episode (a fantastic audio teaser that gives me a TV version of comic book opening page narrative box feel), we get the horrifying scene of a trio of "Martian" Infiltrators posing as diner staff poisoning a quartet of college kids with a food-ingested extra-lethal bacterial pathogen, the (very final) fallout for the kids, and a smart exposition scene back at "Martian" HQ that infers a lot more "testing" has been done off-camera, and an additional last note of horror of their brutality as a female human "Live Subject for Dissection" is "given" to the Scientists by The Advocacy as a reward for their service. But how to get the toxin into the foodchain to exterminate all life on Earth?

Enter this week's Special Guest star Alex Cord, yes, Airwolf's Michael "Archangel" Coldsmith Briggs III, as Marcus Madison Mason, Classic 80's Businessman (without Boneitis) & CEO of Mason Industries, massive multinational petrochemical & electronics corporation now moving into Monsanto territory with their "Feed The World" radiation resistant grain.
    Unfortunately "The Good Samaritan" is, of course, anything but in the usual classic SF skewering of capitalism, Mason will feed the world but wants to be paid handsomely to do it (whilst also dropping the literal and metaphorical Bomb of Cold War cynicism in conversation with one of our heroes later on) PLUS the guy is a massive Horndog, as we quickly learn he is cheating on his wife by banging his Secretary AND another sidepiece to boot (regretfully I have to admit I took a moment to clock that she was a different woman than the secretary, I blame the immensely large '80's hair and Stepford Wife Blonde Bombshellness of those two ladies, whilst ignoring my internalised misogyny!).

The happenstance intersection of the Blackwood Projects stumbling onto the "Martian" plot is brilliantly executed this time, in a flipped mirror of the Aliens' attack it's the team's own Bioweapons expert, Susan, who approaches Mason for Radiation-proofing assistance to use for a bacterial bioweapon earth can defend itself with by annihilating the "Martians" (of course she can't tell mason that bit) some "Martian" Body-Blending, a little sample-swiping, and an unfortunate fate for Caeser, the lab mouse, due to Susan's daughter Debi's somewhat hapless petcare later leads to a tense, action-packed-ish (for an '80's TV budget) confrontation on a grain cargo ship about to depart from port.
    A victory for the humans by a narrow margin but there's still a touch of potential sting in the final "Martian" Epliogue.

When the show's good, it's actually pretty great, with lot of well-handled rather rich subtext to these Genre Alien horror of the week terror thrillers!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

@bcm77 Some AliExpress purchases, perfect for MOTU!

20240329_092151.jpg 20240329_091916.jpg 20240329_091819.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

"The Greatest Gift Of All" has Orko on top form, this time ruining the anniversary gifts for Randor and Marlena that Duncan and Teela were making.

His dicking about in Duncan's lab causes a fire and Orko gets trapped underneath something him which leads Duncan to make a not very convincing attempt at rescuing him when he really wanted to let him burn :D 

Snout Spout obviously hadn't been released at this point as there's a line about the Eternian fire department and he's nowhere to be seen.

Cringer goes for help and He-Man makes the save whilst Duncan continues to lie about trying as hard as he could to save him :D 

Because he can't leave well alone Orko then tries to help Teela with a cake she's baking and gets a bollocking when he messes that up too leading him to get upset and he buggers off with the intention of not returning although Cringer goes with him to try and talk him round.

When they find his note Duncan's all "Wahey! lets get this party started!" and reluctantly agrees to help search for him.

Out in the wilderness Orko and Cringer encounter a creature that can drain energy or abilities from others in much the same way Christopher Nolan or Zack Snyder drain all joy and energy from films but they manage to escape to Castle Grayskull where Orko bores the shit out of the Sorceress with his whining but because she's far too nice she doesn't say "It's your own fault you meddling dolt" and instead shows him a vision of a year into the future where various people around the palace are missing having him around....Future Duncan is still lying his arse off :D 

He-Man, Duncan and Teela encounter the creature and begin to have problems only for Orko to make an unlikely save when the creature tries to steal Orko's magic which backfires because the creature didn't realise Orko's magic isn't very good so he shoots himself in the foot and they all have a big laugh and Orko's welcomed back into the fold and there's a message at the end about not running away from problems.

@we_are_forest,
    Sad news with the passing of Larry Lloyd, part of THAT Forest team of the late 70's :( 

Didn't realise he ran The Stage pub in Nottingham for years after he retired from playing and read a nice story about the time Forest had a Christmas party there and he threw Roy Keane out because "he got a bit lippy" which sounds like Roy after he'd had a few :D 

@Siege Fan,
    Very nice effect pieces! definitely seeing a variety of uses for MOTU characters.....the impact craters could be used for He-Man punching the ground, wonder if the lightning bolts could be attached to the Havoc Staff?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Siege Fan

Probably, a thin twisty should work! Though I fancy using one to show Dragstor moving! I might even use a crater with a load of piled Troopers and the Bashasauras :D 

• Like Like x 1
  6. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Nice ideas!

Dragstor's just been teased on some card art and Bashasaurus was a while back so hopefully we'll see them over the next year or so!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Siege Fan

Always wanted the Basher as a kid, thing's so daft it's genius :D 

• Like Like x 1
  8. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes, it was a shock to find that out first thing yesterday.

I'd heard that he used to part own The Stage with Kenny Burns. I could also totally believe that story about Keano.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

I need to nab that Trap Jaw, probably next month now

• Like Like x 1
  11. Siege Fan

Here ya go, though I bought them in a sale!

Screenshot_20240329-140528_AliExpress.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

@Siege Fan,
    I wouldn't mind that and the Dragon Walker, proper 80's madness!

@we_are_forest,
    Sounds plausible as I know Kenny Burns stayed in the area as he finished playing at Ilkeston Town so I saw him around town a few times, nice enough chap, absolute villain on a football pitch! :D 

When the headmaster of my niece's primary school retired they got Kenny Burns and John McGovern to come and present him with a signed shirt and they were both as you'd expect of that generation, proud of what they did and happy to talk about it but they hadn't vanished up their own backsides....much easier to respect players like that.

As much as I love Keano, he must have been a nightmare during his drinking days as it would have been like dealing with a Tasmanian Devil :D 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Siege Fan

Yup, Spydor for the same reason! Though I've always wanted the Jet Sled because the armour looks cool. As a kid I only had Stridor, the Walker and the accessory sets!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Brave Starr really enjoyed the show, more so much later when I watched it and caught the subtext that escaped me before.
    It is a really good show.. occasionally a little goofy but for a filmation show (and what with their cost cutting) it is better than it likely deserves to be.

The only really problem with the show is there isn't really more than half a dozen characters of note in it.
    But then I guess you could argue the same of The Adventures of The Galaxy Rangers too.

I wonder if Mattel would have kittens if they did cartoon accurate Wheeled Warriors toys ?
    Now.. there is one hell of a task for someone to make transforming Monster minds.

You know the problem with this is they have upset so many people for so many reasons for such a while now that their sales tanking can't even be attributed to a single thing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Siege Fan

I first realised how remarkably dumb their gaming division was when they tried to machine-lock games. Any company who thought they were getting away with that... Jesus.

17. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah that sort of stuff is very annoying.

We have Ubisoft who keep trying to sneak in always online into their games.

Nintendo who lock digital purchases to an individual machine not to an account, and if you ever don't use your account they delete it and in the process delete all of your pre-order bonuses or free dlcs as well and if a game gets delisted "tough" with your account gone so is the game.
    If your switch breaks you have to BEG them to transfer the digital ownership to a new machine and well that is why physical media sale on switch are so strong.. Nintendo anti-conumered themselves out of better revenue by not wanting people to transfer games between the same person basically they expect you to buy the same game twice if you have a switch Lite & a normal switch.. rendering buying a switch light kinda pointless to be honest.

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to do some "jerk move" like stop the controllers working on X/S games as guess what Sony already did that a Playstation 4 Controller only works on Playstation 5 playing a Playstation 4 game and even if there is no reason to not lock the controller out they do anyway to make you buy Ps5 controllers.

Yeah the Videogame industry is going to end up getting heavily regulated at some point and they will find that no one likes that us and them alike.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

Finally got around to watching Across the Spider Verse, really enjoyed it...so much I think Im gonna grab the SHF KO figures of Miles and Spider Punk...and maybe another Gwen to have masked and unmasked at the same time

• Like Like x 2
  19. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

[​IMG]

Full info on the pre-order usually hits within a few days of the teaser image so it looks like they're bang on schedule for next month :rock 

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Siege Fan

The games industry is long due a crash. Insane budgets on the most bloated games nobody actually wants until they're discounted. And even then they're so long you could only buy 3 or 4 in a year at most if you're hardcore. Few have the time or attention span now.

On the subject of physical media there are countless articles now of folks who've realised that's the only way to go longterm. Whether games or shows. It's about time the studios learned that too.