The Transformers Scale Project

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Locke, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Thyservant

Thyservant Active Member

O, thanks a lot!

2. zen01

zen01 Member

Anyone interested in Prime Soundwave? <_< (math, don't fail me now)
    MQ-9 Reaper drone: 36 feet (432 in)
    Figure: 6 inches
    Scale: 1/72

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Big ol' scale chart based on most of the figures covered, including alternate sizes for those that had them. Ejector, both Wheelies (Deluxe and Legends), and the human ended up being absurdly, unrecognizably small (they're to the left of Arcee), but that's inevitable with so many figures plus gigantic ones like Depth Charge and Stratosphere.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    This whole thing you got here?

Beautiful. Beautiful.

5. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Soundwave is my most anticipated Prime figure, so I'm very interested in his scale. I'm going to have to reorganize the posts on the first page to include Prime, because I hope this is just the beginning.

I can't stop staring at this picture! I can't even guess how long this took, but I definitely appreciate the effort.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    Here's a few.

PCC Huffer's front bumper is 1.5". Assuming the same 96" bumper we assumed for prime, that puts Huffer at 1/64. If we assume a 102" bumper, it's 1/68.

I was going to do a measurement of MP Rodimus, but that proved difficult. Car mode is easy, Locke said the dome zero is 6' wide, Rodimus is roughly 3.5 inches wide, so 1/20ish.

Winnebagos are listed at 7.5-8.5' wide, but Rodimus isn't just a rectangle all the way back like Prime is, he's tapered. His widest point is his trailer.. which I don't have. I have to estimate from photos- I'm guessing it to add no more than an inch in width. He's between 1/20 and 1/26 at any rate.

So, interestingly, Masterpiece Prime- who is advertised to be in scale with Alternity/Binaltech at 1/24, is actually 1/35 and much closer in scale to classics cars. Meanwhile MP Rodimus is pretty much right there.

EDIT: Feeling emboldened, I tackled Universe Powerglide, who has a wingspan of 9.5 inches, compared to the A-10's 690 inches.That gives us 1/73- right in line with PCC Huffer from earlier.

7. Thyservant

Thyservant Active Member

I'm wondering whether Leader Jetfire is in good scale with Voyager Battle Blades Optimus or DOTM Deluxe Optimus? Or is Leader Jetfire in BETTER scale with Cyberverse Legion cars like BB, Sideswipe? In ROBOT mode as I'm concerned, of course.

8. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    And now for the last of a dieing breed...Ultras

[​IMG]
    Picture from Seibertron.com
    Universe Onslaught: 1/25 - 1/30 Scale
    Robot height = 17 - 20 ft

Onslaught incorporates elements from several different APCs, but isn't an an exact match for any current armored personnel carriers. The closest appears to be the Indonesian Anoa APC, but the profile is different enough that width is a better reference for scale than length.

[​IMG]

The Anoa is 100' wide, comparing this to Onslaught at 4" wide gives us a scale of 1/25. At this scale, Onslaught would display well with Human Alliance but stands alone in the Classics line. However, if we look at other similar APCs, we can get some flexibility in scale.

Russian BTR-80 - 115'
    French VBCI - 117'
    Finnish Patria - 110'
    US LAV-25 - 100'
    Chinese WZ551 - 110'

With this range of widths, Onslaught works anywhere from 1/25 to 1/30 scale, and 1/30 gets us in the range of the Classics car scale.

9. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    Legion/Legend cars and Deluxe Optimus are pretty close (all around 1/50-1/60 scale), but Leader Jetfire is just a touch too far at 1/72.
    But that's the closest we'll get.

10. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    Small correction: No such figure as PCC Drag Strip. Probably either Basic Human Alliance Drag Strip or PCC Leadfoot/Over-Run.

11. Thyservant

Thyservant Active Member

Thanks! But excuse me, are you refering to the robot mode or the alternate mode? And how should we measure Jetfire's height in robot mode properly? To the top of his head or to the tip of the two panels above his head? Jetfire should be 107.5' long in A-mode and around 50' high in R-mode (which is nearly half of its length) and I find the toy can do well in this aspect (not like Starscream's toys).

Legion BB is about 2.76"/7cm high (6.8cm exactly); if Leader Jetfire is to be in scale with Legion BB, it has to be about 8.27"/21cm high because:
    BB is officially 16.9' high (according to the model they used when filming); if Jetfire is 50' high, it should stand about "3-BB" high. By bending Jetfire's legs to a proper angle, it seems to work and Jetfire doesn't look like sitting at all.

I know toys are not like CGI-models but according to a pic I once saw, Autobots like Bumblebee and Sideswipe stand up to around Jetfire's knees while Ironhide and Ratchet to his crotch and Optimus to his waist, (which makes Battle Blades OP too high for Leader Jetfire because it reaches its chest so Deluxe OP is the only option as Commanders are too small.)

I know it sounds entangling but I don't have many TF toys so I just want what I have to look more size-accurate together in groups.

Thanks.

12. deceptiboat

deceptiboat Active Member

hey guys, i know that this scale is based on vehicle mode, but i want to know.
    is DOTM Cyberverse Crankcase is good in scale with Voyager Megatron in Robot Mode?
    Does anyone know how tall is crankcase in the movies?

13. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just went through all the official heights of characters according to the Takara show bible for Beast Wars 2 and compared them to the heights of the actual toys.

Scales of the toys are as follows:

1:13 - Lio Convoy
    1:15 - Megastorm
    1:16 - Apache, Bigmos, Tonbot
    1:18 - Drillnuts, Hellscream, Scissorboy (GI Joe scale)
    1:19 - Motorarm, Starscream
    1:20 - Autolauncher
    1:21 - Ikard, Lio Junior, Mantis, Scuba
    1:22 - Autocrucher, Autostinger, BB, Dirgegun, DJ, Max B, Thrustor
    1:23 - Autojetter, Bighorn, Powerhug, Tasmanian Kid
    1:24 - Gimlet, Halfshell, Skywarp, Tripledicus (Binaltech scale)
    1:25 - Dirge, Magneboss
    1:26 - Diver, God Neptune, Thrust
    1:27 - Galvatron
    1:30 - Colagon, Scylla
    1:31 - Terrormander
    1:32 - Santon
    1:37 - Sea Phantom
    1:52 - Gigastorm

14. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here are the Beast Wars Neo scales:

1:12 - Longrack
    1:14 - Heinlad
    1:17 - Saberback, Survive
    1:18 - Coroda (GI Joe scale)
    1:19 - Sharpedge
    1:20 - Magmatron
    1:21 - Hydra
    1:22 - Archadis, Hardhead, Killerpunch, Rartorarta
    1:23 - Big Convoy, Elephaorpha
    1:24 - Drancon, Randy (Binaltech scale)
    1:25 - Break
    1:26 - Machkick, Sling, Stampy
    1:27 - Bazooka, Bump, Deadend, Guiledart
    1:28 - Crazybolt
    1:30 - Rockbuster

15. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Wow that is quite impressive. Too many movie figures for my taste but still to see how big things SHOULD be makes me smile. :) 

Sorry for the late reply. I was lazy.

Here are some shots comparing a D&D mini (actually about an inch and a half tall so he's a little taller than your average mini) with some vehicles. In D&D 1 inch is 5 feet, just FYI.

Attached Files:

16. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    So it sounds like D&D figures are nominally 1/60 scale. However, if you're using a 1.5 inch figure and assuming its 6' for comparison purposes, that means we can think of it as 1/48 scale. As you mentioned before, that's a good match for Ratchet [1/46] and Crankcase [1/47].

17. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Yeah D&D mini's are about 1 inch tall. That mini there I recently remembered is actually a Heroclix mini. I forgot they are a little bigger. They're all just minis to me, hehe.

But even so, Breacher and Straxis seem way too small to be close.

18. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I would tend to agree on Straxis; I would probably group him with the 1/120 set.

I'm not sure on Breacher. I no longer own the toy, but it didn't really seem to work with my 1/100 scale display, so I'd say it's a larger scale than that. 1/87 might work, but the difference between a human at that scale and at 1/72 is only about 3/16", and that's not a lot.

19. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    We definitely need some more not-Movie stuff, though I really can't help there. If anyone else can contribute, that would be great. Scale isn't that hard to calculate: real vehicle's size ÷ toy vehicle's size = scale.

These next few have been done, but not with bot-sizes.
    [​IMG]
    Pic from Seibertron
    Optimus Prime (Deluxe): 1/57 Scale
    Toy alt = 6.125"; bot = 5.875"
    Peterbilt 379 = 350” (29’)
    Robot height = 335” (28’)

[​IMG]
    Pic from Seibertron
    Barricade (HA): 1/28 Scale
    Toy alt = 6.75"; bot = 7.25"
    Saleen S281=189" (16')
    Robot height = 203" (17')

And if we assume he's in perfect scale with his partner:
    [​IMG]
    Pic from Seibertron
    Frenzy (HA): 1/28 Scale
    Toy bot = 2.375"
    Robot height = 67" (5'6")

And just for fun:
    [​IMG]
    Pic from Seibertron
    Undermine: 1/94 Scale
    Toy alt = 6.375"; bot (including crest) = 4.75"
    Spinosaurus = 600” (50’)
    Robot height = 447” (37’)
    **Undermine's Spinosaurus mode is obviously not fooling anyone, but I always wondered just how big he'd be if is alt was at least size-accurate**

20. Thyservant

Thyservant Active Member

It seems to me that when Leader Jetfire (50') is in his full height (26cm), he is in scale with Voyager Shockwave (around 31'), Deluxe Optimus Prime (28'), DOTM Voyager Megatron and Voyager Fallen and etc; when he is in his "shortest proper height" (8"), he is in scale with Commander Ironhide (22'), Legion Ratchet (19.7'), Bumblebee (16.9') and most of the other Legions.

Also, Ratchet's height in DOTM seems quite uncertain because when he stands next to Bumblebee, he appears to be around 19' (Cyberverse works) but when he stands next to Optimus Prime, he is again around 21' (Legion Ratchet with Commander Optimus Prime or DOTM Deluxe Ratchet with Voyager Double Blades Optimus Prime). So maybe Bumblebee has grown MUCH in DOTM or Ratchet likes changing his height with different guys.

Ratchet with Optimus Prime:
    http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/_...emoon/images/7/7b/Optimus-ratchet-chicago.png
    Ratchet with Bumblebee:
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/5/50/DOTM-Ironhidecautions.jpg
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/5/5e/830px-Dotm-fought_bravely-1-.jpg