The Transformers at the Oscars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Soundwave84, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Perhaps if there had been more screen time for the Transformers and so much great work hadn't been spent on Ironhide's cannons...

2. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Transformers might have been a 'so so' movie, but even I think it deserved the visual effects award.

3. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. Hopefully Transformers 2 won't be as shaky and blurry as the first one and please do not cut when Optimus and Megatron are fighting.

4. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I lol'd pretty hard when The Golden Compass won. Pirates and Transformers were both way more deserving. I was forced to go see Golden Compass with a friend since we both read the books, and the special effects failed. Oh well.

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Disappointed, but hardly surprised. In Hollywood, leftist agenda movies > movies objectively more deserving, in any category. Plus, the Golden Compass bombed. The nominators no doubt hope that this will get more people to watch it.

Oh, and don't forget that Transformers got semi-patriotic at times. We can't have that.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

qft!! That was a major complaint I had with the movie. Also, I feel as though if the robots had more screen time and were actually given characterizations, Transformers would have had a much better chance of winning.

7. Fury

Fury Well-Known Member

The golden compass was a pice of trash. Transformers should have gotten the award.

8. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Does it really even matter if TF won an oscar in the catagories it was nominated in? Its not like it was up for one of the 'Big 6' awards. No ones going to look back and add the tag "academy award winner" to the Bourne movie, or the Golden Compass. TF came along did what it was supposed to do, be a big summer block buster, and excite the fan boy in us all.

The only folks that I imagine even care are the folks at ILM.

9. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To bad the Transformers didn't win. I really thought it had Visual Effects in the bag.

However I'm extremely happy Juno won for Best Screenplay and the song from Once won. Those were the only 2 movies that I felt really passionate about besides Transformers. However I haven't seen most of the movies nominated (normally I've seen at least all the best pictures).

We should be happy Transformers got nominated. I mean really how many of us thought 5 years ago that we'd be hearing the words oscar nominated Transformers.

10. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I agree about Juno. I was so happy for the Best Screenplay win. Great film.

11. Seaspray

Seaspray TFW2005 Supporter

Oh yes it was all a vast leftist conspiracy. Get over yourself.

12. Alpha_Omega

Alpha_Omega Member

Academy A$$ CLOWNS

Golden Compass was a mediocre VFX film AT BEST... it didn't deserve to win over Pirates 3 and of course TRANSFORMERS! Transformers was the most complex VFX film to date and all those who were involved in it's creation understand that. I'm simply shocked that Transformers was not awarded the Oscar. It's robbery pure and simple. The Academy is SUPPOSED to award innovation and originality, which both Pirates 3 and Transformers had in abundance. Golden Compass had nothing in it that hadn't been seen already in the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter films, Narnia and any other film with furry CG creatures. And besides that it didn't even look that great. "Oh look I'm British and I'm on a Polar Bear" well that surely deserves an Oscar. Transformers was a film that gave audiences something no one had ever seen before. The Visual Effects Society knows that, and that's exactly why Golden Compass walked away from those awards with NOTHING!! Transformers 2 will be even better, and who knows, maybe the crew at ILM will get the award they deserve the second time around! Goddammit... Golden Compass?? So freakin' ridiculous.

13. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Agreed. You have to figure that some of the fault can be placed in the Bayesque camerawork.

But even then, Pirates would be the next contender. Not because "I liked that movie better," but that its effects were seamless from the live footage. Compass suffered from a lot of stuff just looking fake. Especially backdrop shots.

No, it's a left-wing Bias. And I'll be honest, I can't help but wonder if Compass' anti-religious stance along with the fact that it didn't do well left enough voters in the academy to go "Eh, we'll give it a little something anyway." The fact that it beat out two VFX-stunning blockbusters with mediocre VFX of its own at least raises an eyebrow.

Though I'm doubting it was because Transformers was too patriotic.

14. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Transformers was an amazing visual achievement as a movie and they give it to spy movies and talking polar bears?!? So glad I didn't watch the awards this year. Wouldn't mind seeing a clip of the opening though.

Here's hoping TF 2 blows away the competition next time.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Golden Compass wining the Visual Effects award was a total joke. How hard is it to make a fake polar bear? Can't be harder than making a Camaro unfold into a giant robot. The sound awards seem pretty damn arbitrary to me, so I don't really mind Transformers losing that one. But the movie was totally robbed on the visual effects.

Still, Falling Slowly won best song, so I really can't stay mad at the Academy.

16. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    if Pirates beat it, I'd be cool. Water is supposed to be really hard to render, and Davy Jones is a masterpiece. But instead we got polar bears superimposed over mechanical bulls.

17. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    I am sad that Transformers didn't win for Visual Effect,but
    I say of all the CG Movies this past year and it was in the
    TOP 3 that was up for it,thats still damn good,as for Sound
    Mixing and Sound Editing I am bummed about that too,my
    point is I am tickled **itless that Transformers ended up
    being nominated,maybe in 2010 it will get an Oscar for
    Transformers 2. "Go Michael Bay"

18. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

Sci-Fi movies are not allowed to win anything this is not news

Anyways stupid polar bears

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you... watch the Oscars? Are you familiar at all with their history and which movies have won the awards and which movies have gotten nominations, as well as the quality of such movies in the respective categories? If you are, what I said is the only real conclusion you can come to, no matter what side of the aisle you're on. This is not an isolated incident. Heck, I had an extremely left-wing professor last quarter who was in charge of the History of Multimedia class I took. We were discussing the likely Oscar nominees and who would likely win. I mentioned that Transformers would likely get nominated, but would lose to The Golden Compass because the Oscars is usually more about leftist politics than the actual quality of the movie in the relevant category. Even she vigorously agreed with me.

Pun-3X summed up quite well most of what I was going to reply with, though. I don't believe in big conspiracies (at least in non-Communist countries), just people looking out for their own biases/self-interests and often spreading information about their interests via immoral means.

20. Autobot Optimus

Autobot Optimus Autobot Commander

[​IMG]