The Toys That Made Us [Netflix Documentary Series]

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Incepticon, Dec 5, 2017.

1. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Not sure I care about any of those except the TMNT stuff. The Movies that Made us is right up my alley, if this becomes a real thing.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    They announced season 3 right before my post, Paladin mentioned the new eps.

It's already had two seasons so far.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Prime Red

Prime Red Banned

Very good then.

4. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1...

News Credits:
    I finally got around to watching this show after the bluray released...there are deleted sequences and extended interviews with some parties (including Mr Cullen) as well as info on how the series was sold...

i found all of the entries interesting to varying degrees...one of the things that struck me was how competitive it is to get recognized as the 'creator', how gleeful the Mattel guys were in 'brainwashing' kids, how Lego, now the largest toy company, had so many financially turbulent periods (especially within the last decade)..

5. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Season 3 is out this month.
    - TMNT
    - My Little Pony
    - Mattel WWE Figures
    - Power Rangers

• Like Like x 4
  6. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just cancelled my subscription due to not using it much. My time runs out right before the season starts. Oh well

7. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Saw the TMNT episode. That was great stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And the chair made a cameo. :D 

10. Celaeno

Celaeno Well-Known Member

I love how the same people we've seen before in the other episodes kept popping up in the TMNT episode. And yes, the chair. I've watched the TMNT and wrestling episodes so far, and I'm looking forward to sitting down to watch the MMPR one, because I remember the frenzy over the initial big MMPR figure (I think they were 12"?) release and how hard they were to get.

11. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    The TMNT episode was great. Speaking as a TMNT fan who got into the franchise immediately after G1 Transformers entered its twilight (for me and my wife, anyway; she loved and owned some TMNT figs too), this really got our nostalgia going.

Power Rangers were a little after our time but still a cool watch (the missus vastly prefers the sentai series Change Man and its toys, claiming that it's the original while Power Rangers were just dumb copy cats :lol ).

My Little Pony really hooked my wife when she was a kid so she really enjoyed that episode. We haven't watched the WrestleMania one yet but will tomorrow.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Watched the TMNT, Power Rangers and My Little Pony episodes. TMNT really took me back as that was the first franchise I was there at the beginning of. Being born in '81 I wasn't around for the start of Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man or Star Wars but I remember when TMNT first came out vividly and getting the action figures for the first time and seeing the first movie with my mom. Good times man.

Power Rangers was fun to watch too as I was in late elementary going into middle school when that was huge and yes I loved the original show even though I wasn't the target audience. The figures were insanely difficult to get though I did manage to get the Dragonzord that came with the 12" Green Ranger for my birthday that year. I even remember people trying to scalp Power Rangers out of the trunks of their cars for three to five times the price. I actually bought the Tigerzord with the 12" White Ranger this way along with the automorph versions of the Tommy (Green Ranger) and Kimberly. Dumb kid with disposable income learns a life lesson on waiting to find shit in stores. :lol  Seriously, like two months after I paid double for Tommy and triple for Kimberly I regretted it because I saw them at Toys R Us. That said I never regretted paying double for the Tigerzord as I never saw that in stores. Win some loose some when getting scalped I guess? :lol 

The MLP episodes were interesting and my daughter liked it as we're both fans of MLP:FIM (no I don't consider myself a Brony, I'm not that into it). My wife and daughter were honestly more interested in this than I was but the history of it was an entertaining watch as always.

Still haven't watched the wrestling stuff yet... it's funny as I was a huge wrestling fan as a kid and a slight resurgence in the early 2000's. BUT, I've never had an interest in buying wrestling figures.

13. AlexJMurphy1982

AlexJMurphy1982 Banned

Really enjoyed this show! wrestling, He-Man, GI Joe and Transformers are my fave episodes so far.

14. Macross7

News Credits:
    So far, I've seen the TMNT & Power Rangers episodes. While not into MLP, I'll watch it. History behind lines still tend to be interesting (found the Barbie episode interesting as well). Then to top it off with some WWF figures. I totally remember those big rubber ones that they showed in the season intro clips. Was a big WWF fan in the mid 80's but lost interest when I got to high school. Got back a little while in college but that was more for the hilarity of Stone Cold vs Vince McMahan. WWF forever! Screw the name WWE.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Saw the MMPR episode, that was pretty good too.

I'll admit, I don't have much, if any, personal attachment. I was in high school when it debuted, so I knew of the craze, and because of scheduling, I did watch the series on occasion in the afternoons.

At this point, my nostalgia's out for this season, I have no attachment to MLP or WWF, but like the topics before, I'll still watch the episodes, as they're usually interesting and informative anyway.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  16. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    The Wrestling ep had a lot of twists and turns as far as the various toy companies go. I was a fan of the 80's WWF and the Rock era shows, but never particularly cared for the toys at all and so never bought/owned them, oddly enough.

Even back then when I was younger, those figures were too goofy-looking and toyetic for me (I had a brief stint with M.U.S.C.L.E toys.) I might be interested in picking up the recent SH Figuarts versions of WWF wrestlers, as an adult, if anything, but that's about it.

At least the show gave more context and background into Macho Man Randy Savage for my wife (due to the recent South Park episode we watched as she didn't know who he was :lol ).

• Like Like x 2
  17. Macross7

News Credits:
    Found the MLP episode hilarious. Crack-Pipe Pony. Discussing the butt-stamps. The editing sure helps. The whole thing of who created the idea had me laughing. Then the shot of the pony falling off the spinner on its face used multiple times. :D  My grandmother had one of those KO ponies. Looks just like an official one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just finished watching all 4 stories of them yesterday. Since Netflix was so gracious the other day in giving me another free trial again. I took it and was so happy to see i made this cut in just in time to see a show i absolutely love so much.

19. Macross7

News Credits:
    Bring on Season 4!

Topics I think could work
    Hot Wheels
    Cabbage Patch Kids - don't know girls lines that well but this seems big enough and was massive when it came out
    Super Heroes
    Home Video Games

After that, I can't think of any MAJOR brands that are constants (or stay alive in one form or another). Maybe they can focus on lesser brands that show up, are big for a year or two and die. Years later it might come back for a few years then die again. Things like Thundercats, Voltron, MASK.

20. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I think DC and Marvel toys are probably a go at some point given the current climate. They have a long history going back to Mego and such so there's plenty to work with. I also like the idea of making some episodes focusing on lesser stuff that was only around for a short while and comes back in spurts... Thundercats and Voltron fit that bill pretty good. I actually wouldn't mind them actually doing an episode on Go Bots either even though those are long dead in the water.

• Like Like x 1