'The Toys That Made Us' documentary coming soon on Netflix

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Cheem The Rup, Jan 19, 2017.

1. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
  2. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well you The Toys That Made Us is coming back for a 3rd Season, and it will have a Power Rangers episode in it.
    Toys That Made Us on Twitter

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jtprime17

Jtprime17 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t know if this has been posted yet but it’s from Anthony from tfu.info who worked on the tf episode he said there was the original run time was over 100 mins and had a longer segment on beast wars some interesting info.

• Like Like x 6
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Awww man, I'd love to have heard the extra BW commentary/info. Hopefully it makes it in some form onto that DVD if they are eventually allowed to make it.

I liked how he explained about making the show for both fans and non-fans. He seems really passionate and informed about everything but also sensible about making a show.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Makes sense, Power Rangers has been a constant major toyline since it started in the early 90's.

What I'd have the other episodes focus on.
    Ninja Turtles
    Hot Wheels
    Cabbage Patch Kids or My Little Pony

• Like Like x 1
  6. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    9 minutes on BW! Will it ever see the light of day?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That means there will be apart of the Power Rangers with people from Bandai & Saban being sad they lost their jobs, because of Hasbro buying Power Rangers.

8. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

That would be a decent selection of episodes. They'd probably might choose MLP over CPK due to current popularity. Also include some Matchbox history along with Hot Wheels since Mattel owns both now.

I think they could do episodes based around themes to feature less popular brands that may not have enough to fill an entire episode with details interesting enough for general viewers. For example, one based on other transforming robot brands from the 80s including Gobots, Voltron, and Robotech. They could also put a bunch of one-and-done toylines that only had one "wave" of product or maybe a smaller second group of items to finish (Wheeled Warriors, Inhumanoids, Centurions, etc.) into one episode. I'd also love an episode about the knock-off toy industry and how it skirts or flouts laws, maybe a bit about the supply chain.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'm thinking Play Doh may deserve an episode if nobody else had mentioned it...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  11. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
  13. robh

robh Decepticon

same here. The TF episode was my least favorite. My son liked it, probably because he got to see the toys.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

If the show creators licensed this properly, they might be vying for a box set with "complete" episodes so they can take in some cash to put towards next season(s). Netflix doesn't own them outright, as far as I know. Not sure how well a box set would sell, as I'm not 100% on board to pay for a longer episode of every property they examine. But it might be worth it for the TF episode alone, depending on price.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I wish Netflix did what most other online video services do, which is, basically cleanly hide/organize extra content. HBO does a great job of throwing extra bits of content online and Hulu does this too. Its a huge shame that Netflix has ignored this "bonus feature" area. This extra content that got cutout would be perfect for that area.

I think its unlikely we'll ever get this leftover material. I think the folks who produced this series were aiming to make a product that was concise and digestible for mainstream audiences. We're hardcore fans that would devour every morsel of TF history and content. But we're not the target audience.

I also think that the team behind this series likely didn't have a goal of doing anything meaningful with the extra content. I think their main goal was to create a sharp, marketable series that could be sold to Netflix. And they accomplished that. I mean, we all know that you could do a PBS/BBC style 12-part historical documentary on the franchise but the goal was to make a 60 minute episode. I don't think historical depth was the goal. Oh well.

16. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I asked them in their comment section from their pre-SDCC FB post that if they can release a full director's cut of the Transformers episode and they replied:

"We're hoping so."

• Like Like x 5
  17. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

There are plenty of other Netflix shows that come out in DVD/Bluray form with extra features. My brother in law buys the House of Cards sets when they come out as an example. I don't see any reason why the show creators here wouldn't have that option available to them as well.

18. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
    OK, I know I'm late to the party, but I finally watch the TF episode of "The Toys That Made Us" and it was great! So much great info an insight! I was watching the Takara guys flip through those old photo albums and thinking to myself "please God, just 5 minutes with those albums..." Really great stuff. And watching Yoke-san talk about Perceptor towards the end of the segment... Not gonna lie, I teared up a bit. Hope there's an extended version of this episode some day...

• Like Like x 3
  19. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    the only thing i disliked about the episode was after the movie they jumped around and skipped a lot of stuff. id have been happy with them leaving it at standard g1 with the promise of a sequel episode for more stuff

• Like Like x 2
  20. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, they pretty much skipped over the Headmaster/Targetmasters and Powermasters era. The TF Toys episode definitely needed a part 2, possibly a part 3 as well.

• Like Like x 4