The Toys R Us New/Restocked/Shipped/Preorder Items Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by optimusfan, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Bad Broccoli

Bad Broccoli Well-Known Member

Nope. No movement. :( 

2. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reminds me of the way Walmart is handling their exclusive Kylo Ren thrown room set. A few Weeks ago it went up on Walmart.com for mere minutes and nomore have been made available.

3. SirPwntALot

SirPwntALot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw a POTP Starscream at my TRU for $30.
    Noooooooope lol

4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Having watched the back and forth with ML box sets recently, I would hazard a guess that it's an attempt to spur demand. What I learned over a few years of selling toys is that demand has two peaks. One, initial release, two, as supply runs out. Between those points, demand is flat if not zero.

So what you do is shorten the distance between them. The initial batch is made to appear small, so that just released goes straight to almost sold out. Then you let everybody stew for a few weeks or months.

Now, the second batch has two dynamics at work. If the stewing period is long enough, you get a double whammy of just released and almost sold out. The almost sold out comes from the supposition that these are warehouse finds or QC/returns and not the initial thrust of a second batch. And because you've split one batch into two, the distance to the next sold out peak, the real one, must necessarily be shorter than a single batch would've been.

MattyCollector used to pull this all the time, except with far more iterations. They would make 1000 Teelas and "sell out" of 500 on release day. Then every couple of months, they'd put, say, 50 up. Somebody on the .org would see this, sound their horn, and the villagers would come running to buy them up whether they really wanted one or not. Every iteration only increased the fear that this time would be the last and frenzy only intensified.

Incidentally, this is also why Amazon limiting quantities does little good in making supply more available. One, I can buy 30 limit-3 items by checking out 10 times. Two, it triggers the fear response of other buyers and nudges them to deplete supply of stuff that they otherwise wouldn't give a damn about faster. Retail is as much about psychology as anything.

Or I could be a great deceiver lulling you into a false sense of security for my own sinister ends... >:|

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    This. That's why when you enter some stores you are immediately blasted by cold or hot air, whatever the opposite of what outside is. It's to get you in a better mood and thus are more inclined to buy something. That's what I was told by someone at one of the jobs I worked at. Forgot who. But it makes sense.

• Like Like x 2
  6. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    I keep checking the site multiple times a day. Grotesque is all over my social media in all of the add bars, and every time I click. Not available. Why advertise if you don't have it for sale?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ektris

Ektris Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's there because you keep looking.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Your not alone. I don't think I've ever been irritated over trying to buy something but this is getting close

9. SoundwaveSuperior

SoundwaveSuperior "The Scourge of the Sky" (She/They)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    That's targeted advertising; plenty of websites do it. You'll get ads showing items you've viewed (or similar items) on websites you've visited, since companies want to advertise things to you that you're interested in. If you'd never visited the page, you wouldn't be seeing those ads.

10. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

LOL. Clear your cookies. LOL

• Like Like x 3
  11. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    I do like cookies but I'm losing weight at the moment so I'd be better off clearing them ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  12. MelodiousGiant04

MelodiousGiant04 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How do we live in 2018 and people don't understand how targeted ads worked. Funny story they will tell you in Marketing class, Target's algorithm is so advanced it actually outted a 16 year old's pregnancy to her dad in targeted mailers based on types of skin care products she bought. By tracking a person buying this item on this date, and this item 4 months later, etc., it came to like a 98% probability she is pregnant and sent "Congratulations Baby Registry" ads to her house.

• Like Like x 3
  13. chuckcjc

News Credits:

Yeah I know how meta data and ad sourcing works. Thanks.

You are missing the point. Why does TRU have Grotesque on their Social Media ads if they don't have it in stock?

14. Eleyre

Eleyre TFW2005 Supporter

It might help if you specify what social media ads Toys'R'Us has. Otherwise, it sounds to everyone like you're seeing ads for Grotusque at Toys'R'Us whenever you visit a social media site like FaceBook or Twitter. If that's the case, everyone is telling you it has nothing to do with them having Grotusque on ads. Those ads are appearing because you are clicking on the link for Grotusque on Toys'R'Us's website. Those would be targeted ads based on your browsing history and they're only appearing because you keep visiting the grotusque webpage.

If this is not the case, maybe a screenshot might help so we know what you're referring to.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I think your two statements are in conflict lol

• Like Like x 3
  16. chuckcjc

News Credits:
    Oy Vey man, TRU can prevent meta sharing of items they don't have in stock. But they don't.

17. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    They should just de-list the damn thing. It seems like a bit much for us to expect them to flag an item to not show up just because it isn't in stock. I mean, they are in the business of selling... drumming up demand and making us curse their names only makes us want to buy it more :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bad Broccoli

Bad Broccoli Well-Known Member

Just got an alert for the TRU grotusque page and got all excited for nothing.
    It's not up yet, but they changed "out of stock" to "Limited Stock." So, maybe it's getting closer?

19. fafireguy

fafireguy Leader

Oh?

20. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Still showing OOS to me.