The Thread Of Weird

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GoldbugTM2, Jan 31, 2017.

1. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

Maybe it's an appreciation thread, or maybe not... Such is the nature of the bots this thread is for. ;) 
    Over the course of the 30+ years of Transformers, (and since Hasbro now owns them, we'll include the "mighty" Gobots in this discussion), there have been some rather unusual bot designs--even by transforming robot standards. A lot of times these bots get lost in obscurity due to their unorthodoxy. So in this thread we shall celebrate these bots from the fringes of Transformerdom, and welcome the weird!

Here's a couple examples:

Whirl:
    [​IMG]

Whirl is a more obscure G1 character, remade in the Generations line in recent years, with very small appearances in Transformers fiction. To me he has an aesthetic more in common with Gobots than Transformers, forgoing any humanoid looking hands or face, instead using only his helicopter bits to create his features in bot mode. Definitely one unique Autobot.

Gobots - Bubble Man:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, this is an official Gobot, and I owned this green version as a kid. No, he's not related to the Mega Man villain. After you "transform" him, you blow into that hole thing on the back of his feet and bubbles come out the three tube things in his chest.

• Like Like x 34
  2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why... Why is Bubble Man a thing? I mean, they've made dumber things, but why does he exist? This is precisely one of the reasons Go-Bots failed and died while Transformers thrived and survived.

• Like Like x 14
  3. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    Googled for images/reviews to see what the alt mode looks like. Damn! You just flip his legs backwards 90 degrees. One step changer!! That's amazingly awful.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 40
  5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Not necessarily. Bubbleman was only $2, IIRC. I had one as a kid and have one now thanks to a lot buy. It was pretty easy to imagine him as a gun emplacement.

And Transformers had some pretty dorky looking novelty toys, too. Maybe not on the level of Bubbleman or the pop gun former (see below)...but they were there.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  6. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Poor Enemy. Forced for years to be strapped to a radio that probably no longer works...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 28
  7. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a red-armed version of that one. It isn't... terrible.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Ultra Magnus voice changer where you talk into the tube in back toy waves hi.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Diecast G2

Diecast G2 Transtectorless

News Credits:
    Right, goofy side merchandise is common for any successful IP. That's why you can go buy Frozen-themed toy cellphone. Or Power Ranger headphones. Or those weird bobblehead looking Transformers you can buy at walmart right now. The fact that Gobots had weird side crap is more indicative of success than failure. Anybody out there rocking some Zybot underwear?

I guess what I always found weird were the sparking toys.
    [​IMG]

People complain about modern gimmicks ruining a toy, but these guys transformed into slabs with a face and a hole.

• Like Like x 31
  10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Apart from not being able to move their arms, I loved the Firecons.

Most of the modern aesthetics are weird to me from the cartoony Animated toys to the no nose Prime guys and I long for a return to the G1 aesthetic.

Cybertron Repugnus has a weird head.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Magnahide

Magnahide Maximal Commander

I don't even understand how the whole sparking gimmick is appealing anyway. They wear out and leave a bunch of crusty stuff behind, and it just seems like an easy way to catch yourself or something else on fire (which has happened before).

And why the fuck did they think they needed to bring it back? And these didn't even transform at all.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  12. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I thought that gimmick was neat as a kid. Really liked the smell of burnt ozone, too. But to each their own.

• Like Like x 12
  13. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I had Enemy when I was a kid. I remember the radio breaking not long after I got it. So I removed Enemy and tossed out the radio. One of these days I want to track down the Enemy colored version of Frenzy/Rumble that comes with Encore Soundblaster.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

I failed to mention in my OP, (though it's fairly obvious), that odd side of Transformers is by no means limited to the stuff of the 1980s. Case in point, let's look at an obscure character from the Beast Wars era:

Under-3:
    300px-Under3.jpg

This isn't a cheapo Happy Meal version of a bot, this IS the bot. He is a Happy Meal exclusive though. He's actually more "exclusive" than that, but I'll get to that momentarily. Under-3 is a Maximal that transformed into a Lion's head. Not a lion--just the head. Closer inspection shows a rather detailed bot sculpt for such a simple design. So what about that super "exclusivity" ? Well, it also ties in to how he got his name. You see, when McDonalds does their Happy Meal toys, they have a special set of toys that you don't see advertised too much. These are reserved for children who are too young for the standard Happy Meal toy fare--children Under 3. This fellow is one such toy. (Let that sink in, someone concluded that a severed lion head would be a good toy for a child under the age of 3. :tongue:  ) The batch of Transformers used during this Happy Meal run had their names marked on the clear packaging, and in the case of Under-3, the phrase "Under 3" denoting the fact that this was one of those special toys was marked on the packaging in the same manner as the names of his bigger siblings. Thus he got his name.

Many years later, Under-3 would be reborn in Combiner Wars as a Botcon 2016 exclusive under the new name of Unit-3:
    [​IMG]

Unit-3 is also a bit unusual in that he's quite possibly the only Maximal ever that is NOT a beast or any other type of organic life form in any way.

• Like Like x 34
  15. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Not sure if this counts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I had the shake, fries and burger on the left when I was a kid. Not sure who McDonald's got to produce these.

The alt modes are actually really nice...

• Like Like x 50
  16. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    This isn't my image, but if we're going there then here's one of the crown jewels of my collection:

[​IMG]

Cherry Coke Robot(Yes that is his name). His alt mode is a refreshing can of 1980's Cherry Coke! There's also a regular Coke and rumors of a Diet Coke. Don't know who made him, where he comes from... anything really. He's got a really fun transformation that starts by pulling the tab(!) and I friggin love him so much. I think he was put in a window with his back facing the glass or something because my copy has yellowed bad on the back.

• Like Like x 30
  17. SWAGE66

SWAGE66 Nah

Any toy that makes goddamn fire is elite!!!

• Like Like x 9
  18. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    To be fair, there are some collectors on this site that would be happy with just a face and a hole.

• Like Like x 2
  19. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I have these in storage somewhere! I loved the little pterodactyl hotcakes figure, I actually had it before I got any of the official Transformers figures. Makes me miss when McDonalds and the like actually packed decent little toys with their figures, I loved those BW figures.

• Like Like x 1
  20. combinerlover

combinerlover MONSTRUCTOR's BFF ;)

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    There called CHANGABLES , I only ever cared about the Robot ones that came before the dino`s .... the ice cream cone was a chick , I liked that bot a lot ( still do . lol. ) and the small fry was way awesome . I still have the Quarter pounder and large fry .

• Like Like x 3