The TFW2005 Team Picks Their Top Figs of 2021!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    News Story --> TFW2005’s Top Official Toy Picks of 2021

[​IMG]

Black Convoy

War For Cybertron HasLab Unicron

No doubt this is a bona fide centerpiece of any Transformers collection. You can't ignore such a massive and detailed figure in any of his modes. The Chaos-Bringer is finally taking the title of the biggest Transformer figure to date. I agree that the figure could have been better if they had managed to hid the kibble and panels in robot mode in a better way, but if you add that this was released as a limited run, only via a crowdfunding, and all the delicious drama about the campaign and release, there's no doubt this figure had no rival in 2021. Could you have imagined something like this after the Armada Unicron toy?

Runners up: Kingdom Rodimus Prime (fantastic piece of engineering), Buzzworthy Nemesis Primal (Nothing better than a black Primal redeco), Studio Series 86 Hot Rod (same as Rodimus, a great level of engineering), Kingdom Core Class Soundwave (Superior even in small size), Robosen Optimus Prime (while I think a figure I can't transform myself it's not my taste, this is another jewel of 2021)

Dachande

Generations Selects Galvatron

Definitely a good year to be a Transformers collector, but a horrible year to pick one as the best of the best. Choosing between Gnaw, WrekGar, Hot Rod, Rodimus, Slag, Artfire, Agent Ravage...
    Yeah, tough choice.
    I went with the stunning toy deco Generations Selects Galvatron. While I adore the standard release if the mold, the colors used for the Selects version make up for me never being able to get the G1 figure as a kid. I enjoy everything about this figure, from the sheer shelf presence to the enjoyable transformation. Truly a stunning figure.

Runners up: Studio Series 86 Gnaw, Studio Series 86 Slug, Studio Series 86 WrekGar, Kingdom Blackarachnia (from the Target 4-pack), Studio Series 86 Hot Rod.

edgs2099

MP-53 Skids

This was tough, as it was a good year for official toys. SO many were good it was hard to pick a favorite. Kingdom, SS, SS86, even some Cyberverse. Ultimately, it went to MP-53 Skids. He's not the best MP ever made, but it does everything I want out of an official MP toy without all of the extra stuff I don't want/need. It's just complex enough, but not too much.

Runners up: Kingdom Rodimus Prime, Studio Series '86 Slug, Studio Series '86 Hot Rod, Studio Series '86 WreckGar Buzzworthy Bumblebee Origins

Gamerlingual

Transformers Masterpiece MP-53 Skids

I’ll actually give this a tie to both Skids and Reboost. Takara went back to their roots when they had excellent build quality and very reasonable prices. I loved that Skids also went back to the design before MP-22 Ultra Magnus where the figure has both real world, toy, and cartoon elements. The engineering is genius without being cumbersome or overly complex where you might be afraid the piece might snap off. Great articulation and I’m glad to add this to my MP shelf. And I can say it because this actually has no QC issues. This is why Takara needs to stick to their roots. You can just take the figure and enjoy it, always. These guys don’t have as many gimmicks or accessories which helps keep the QC in check. It seems that the MPs with a myriad of gimmicks are the ones who have most of the QC problems. (Not all, but certainly common). For those, Skids wins and he looks plenty toon despite being a hybrid

Runners Up: Kingdom Cyclonus, Reformatted Galvatron, Shattered Glass Jetfire, Kingdom Rodimus Prime, Studio Series 86 Gnaw, MP-54 Reboost, Studio Series 86 Sweep, Studio Series 86 Wreck-Gar, Buzzworthy SS86 Kup

Jacer

Kingdom Megatron

Yes....One of my first purchases of 2021 and he stuck with me all year. Beast Wars is what brought me into Transformers and it has been a heck of a year with all the New Beast Wars toys. Megatron stuck out the most to me because of how fun his conversion is and how articulated he is in both modes.

Runners up: WFC Unicron, Threezero Nemesis Prime, Kingdom Tigatron, Studio Series Hot Rod, Studio Series Grimlock, Kingdom Ark

Lumpy

Dinobot Slug (AKA Slag)

Every year since I started as a mod, 10 years ago now, I've kept a running list of my favorite Transformers on my phone. Most years it's about 10-12 figures, but this year it was a whopping 19 that made my tops, that I've now narrowed down to my singular favorite, plus seven runner-ups. It was incredibly hard, especially considering in one year we got TWO new Action Master updates, plus a new Tracks and a first ever Jurassic Park Transformer! That said, ultimately it was my favorite Dinobot triceratops who was chosen as THE best figure. He does everything I would want, plus a little bit more. I love the way his legs transform, it really adds something to a transformation that I've been doing since the 80's. The only thing I would've changed is to scrap the waste of plastic Daniel, that he came with, and made his sword instead. Maybe also used that budget to add one or two more paint apps or a fireblast accessory as well. His size is also wonderful, I love the leader class scale being used for someone of substance, like the Dinobots. Now I say bring on the other three, I can be patient, but I yearn for more large dinosaurs!

Runners up: Kingdom Tracks, Netflix Bumblebee, SS86 Hot Rod, Shattered Glass Optimus Prime, Kingdom Mainframe, Kingdom Tigatron, JP93

Mechafire

Studio Series 86 Voyager Hot Rod

2021 was one of my favorite years for Transformers toys in ages, so this selection was pretty hard to make. It finally delivered the Generations Beast Wars toys that I'd been wanting for what felt like an eternity... which makes it funny that in the end it's a G1 guy who made it to the top of my list! Studio Series 86 Voyager Hot Rod is just so good, it encapsulates everything I believe a Transformers figure should aspire to be - a simple, intuitive design and transformation that also allows for tons of articulation; robot and alt modes that look great and are as clean and compact as possible; a good variety of accessories included - and all being sold at a fair and logical price. For me it even manages to eclipse the Masterpiece versions. Also helps that he's one of my favorite Transformers characters!

Runners up: Studio Series 86 Leader Grimlock, Kingdom Voyager Cyclonus, Kingdom Leader Megatron, Kingdom Voyager Optimus Primal

Megatron118

Flame Toys Kuro Kara Kuri IDW Megatron

I think the community would be more surprised if this wasn’t my choice.
    This is my favorite Megatron design of all time, and despite some creative liberties as with all 3K figures, it is captured perfectly. The craftsmanship is unparalleled, accessories are plentiful, and the materials are excellent. The shelf presence is masterful. The price is indeed high, but I feel you get what you pay for. My only hope is that it withstands the tests of time, because it truly is a holy grail piece for me. I wish more companies would tackle this Megatron design, as it is one of his more unique ones. But as it stands, this is the king. If you can find and afford it, go for it. There were numerous excellent official figures this year, and while the Runners Up are more fun to play with, the significance of this figure’s personal grail status puts it as my top figure of the year—I love it.

Runners up: Studio Series 86 Hot Rod, Kingdom Cyclonus, Studio Series 73 Grindor, Generations Selects Shattered Glass Optimus Prime, Kingdom Optimus Primal (monke)

Onslaught24

War For Cybertron Haslab Unicron

Another year, another very difficult choice to make. Part of me feels bad for going with a figure I've transformed no more than four times either way, but when I look back on 2021 I know I'm going to remember getting that colossal box, opening him up, and grinning non-stop the rest of the day. While he is very cumbersome and physically tiring to transform, doing so is always a fun experience and both modes feel like a reward. The way Hasbro made the stand so integral to the transformation as well as the display just goes to show how much thought and care went into this big lug and I love that. Despite his size, he still gets some really good, charismatic poses and is just one of those figures you could stare and marvel at all day. He also looks REALLY good with Christmas lights strung around him and the planet maw mechanism alone is worth the (original) price of admission. I may not mess with him a lot, but he's THE centerpiece of my collection and I'll always have the memories of setting him up and transforming him for the first time while my partner watched me struggle, finding different things for his planet mode to eat, and decorating him for the holidays.

Runners up: Kingdom Rodimus Prime, Kingdom Galvatron, Studio Series 86 Slug, Kingdom Beast Megatron, TFxUniversal Monsters Draculus

optimusfan

Studio Series Hot Rod

I've expressed similar sentiment in previous years and I'll say it again now: 2021 was another great year for official Transformers product. The past three years are a definitive high point for the brand toy-wise. There are numerous instances where someone could make an argument for figure of the year and I'd think "yeah, I can see that". Studio Series 86? The return of the Beast Wars cast? C'mon. Just so many good figures.

However, my top pick for 2021 is a figure that's in the mix for my personal top 10 of all time. Studio Series Hot Rod sports a gorgeous bot mode that looks like it leapt off the screen, easily putting even masterpiece figures to shame. The vehicle mode is great, and the transformation is satisfying if a bit fiddly. It's a figure I didn't want to put down, poses fantastically, and looks so great that I always smiled when I saw it on my desk. These reasons, among others, set it just ahead of other great figure like Covert Agent Ravage for the best of 2021.

Runners up: Covert Agent Ravage, Unicron, Kingdom Air Razor, Buzzworthy Nemesis Primal, Lootcrate Optimus Prime

Orio

Studio Series Grimlock

Man, Hasbro has been absolutely crushing it with the War For Cybertron and Studio Series lines. Combined, the two toylines have been delivering me the aesthetic and love for all of these characters. It’s hard to narrow down a list of favorites, let alone one to top them all. The toyline in general should win, but since I have to choose I’m going with Studio Series Grimlock. He’s my personal favorite character of all time and I have him tattooed on my arm. Studio Series leader Grimlock is very nice, huge, fun to transform and the “double elbows” are really clever. I would’ve preferred a Sword over Wheelie, but that’s nit picky. Slag is also a great companion piece and I can’t wait for the rest of the Dinobots in this scale.

Runners up: Kingdom Cyclonus, Kingdom Huffer, Kingdom Rodimus, Worlds Collide Fangry, Studio series Gnaw, Studio series Jazz, Studio series Hot Rod, Studio series Scourge

Seawing

Kingdom Cyclonus

All I have to say is that this guy is an engineering masterpiece. He looks great in bot mode, has a sleek vehicle mode, and all robot parts are completely hidden and not hanging off underneath like with most airplane/spaceship Transformers. Only quibble I have (and it isn't a huge deal for me) is that I would have preferred the purple to be a bit darker. All in all a great figure to add to your collection.

Runners up: Kingdom Galvatron, Studio Series Jazz, Studio Series Dinobot Slug, Studio Series Hot Rod, Kingdom Warpath

ServO

Studio Series 86 Hot Rod

I feel like I have been waiting for this Hot Rod toy since the first time I saw him up on the big screen all those years ago.
    I loved this figure so much that I bought 3 of them...two for me and one for my son.
    I wish I could have this figure in masterpiece scale!

Runners up: Kingdom Rodimus Prime, Kingdom Cyclonus, Studio Series 86 Gnaw, Kingdom Airrazor,

Shibamura_Prime

Studio Series 86 Hot Rod

This guy puts the MP versions to shame all wrapped up in a snug Voyager price tag, "fake chest" and all.

Runners up: HasLab Unicron, MP-52+ Thundercracker, Kingdom Core Class Soundwave, Buzzworthy Nemesis Primal, Buzzworthy Origins Bumblebee

Shin Densetsu

MP-52+ Thundercracker

While MP-52 Starscream was released 1st, MP-52+ Thundercracker followed up months later with substantially less reported issues. Character-bias aside, MP-52+ showed the potential of the MP-52 mold better. The poseability is much better than previous MP Seeker molds, being able to pose in ways the old ones never could. As much personality as the alternate faces on MP-3/6/7 had, MP-52’s faces ooze more. I was concerned that the jet mode would look too cartoony but fortunately it doesn’t. My main issue is the closeness of the horizontal stabilizers to the wings and their relative size but these weren’t dealbreakers for me.

I’ll always prefer the darker colors of the G1 Thundercracker toy over the cartoon version. However there’s no denying how good MP-52+ looks to me in person. While there’s things that could be improved on yet another redesigned MP Seeker mold eventually, I have a lot less improvements on my wishlist compared with MP-3/11. The MP-52 does a lot right and in my experience, MP-52+ Thundercracker is the best example*.

*Note: I haven’t ordered MP Skywarp and if I did, it wouldn’t have arrive until well after the time of this writing

Runners up: MPM-12 Optimus Prime(Bumblebee movie), Kingdom Rodimus Prime, Kingdom Cyclonus, Studio Series 1986 Slug, Studio Series 1986 Wreckgar, Kingdom Galvatron

Shockwave81

Transformers Masterpiece MP-52 Starscream

It almost goes without saying that he’s the best looking release of this character in my time as a collector. Throw in most of the usual trappings associated with modern MP releases (accessories, face swaps, superb articulation) and he’s definitely up there as a fave in my display. While a couple of QC issues hampered my initial enjoyment of the figure, I now find myself picking him up to mess around more often than my other MPs. He looks fantastic alongside the likes of MP-36 and MP-29/29+, and I’m looking forward to finishing off the OG seeker trio (again :p  ) with Skywarp.

Runners up: MP-52+ Thundercracker, Kingdom Galvatron, Studio Series 86 Gnaw, Kingdom Cyclonus

Smashs

I'd be kidding myself if I said anything but Uni. I didn't even really buy that many figures this year, but every single one I did was nearly perfect in every way. We are being inconceivably spoiled as fans and collectors.

Runners up: Kingdom Cyclonus, Kingdom Rodimus, Kingdom Ark, Kingdom Core Class Soundwave, Studio Series 86 Slug, Studio Series 86 Hot Rod, MP-53 Skids, MP-52/+ Starscream/Thundercracker, Robosen Optimus Prime, I don't know why I keep adding more because literally everything I bought this year was absolutely incredible.

Superquad7

Haslab Unicron

While we've had another great year of Transformers toys, but the Haslab Unicron saw us receive another level of figure. The project itself allowed for a figure made that exceeds retail restrictions. Additionally, this is the biggest Transformer ever from the G1 cartoon, and for Hasbro to provide us a figure that supremely towers over all others. It's extremely well sculpted (which next to the size is one of its strongest points), and there are particular transformation ques lifted straight from the movie incarnation's transformation sequence. Getting the box and unpacking it is an experience in itself. Transforming it isn't difficult, but it's also an experience like no other.

There's one word to summarize this figure: EPIC

Runners up: Studio Series '86 Hot Rod, Kingdom Voyager Cyclonus, Studio Series '86 Wreck-Gar, Buzzworthy Bumblebee Origins, Studio Series '86 Gnaw,

Tony_Bacala

I mean, come on, how can it not be. Even with the maw issues, it's still the biggest most insane Transformers figure done yet. A centerpiece of any collection. It feels like forever ago now since we've been seeing thinking about him since 2019. But he dropped this year, so he wins. There were a lot of other great figures this year too which could easily take top spot, but I guess that's what runners up are for. :) 

Runners up: Kingdom Ark, Kingdom Rodimus, Kingdom Cyclonus, Kingdom Galvatron, threezero DLX ROTF Prime

• Like Like x 16
  2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Great write-up! How could the top 2021 toy be anyone else but Unicron!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mistaken Table

Mistaken Table Well-Known Member

I\'m less fussed about which Transformers and more impressed at the lack of counterfeit/KO figures.

Proud of you guys! (Unless you\'re doing a whole separate list for bootlegs.)

4. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    *Makes a list of who correctly voted for HasLab Unicron*

*nods*

• Like Like x 8
  5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The only reason I didn't select Unicron is because I didn't get one. No real desire for it, but yeah, that is one impressive figure.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Bravemaximike

Bravemaximike Road Warrior

Seeing that pic of Unicron in planet mode makes me wanna transform mine back to it….
    If I can find a spare afternoon to tackle that. :D 

Excellent choices, team!

4EE2A815-AE75-4177-9F8A-1971974DE8EC.jpeg 202D6BD8-7D37-419D-BB34-452F9D05882B.jpeg 4BF23D89-8FFE-476B-9CFE-9EC117539CA3.jpeg 5FCF8769-ED79-4943-A26A-FF16A6C651F3.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  7. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its official Hot Rod vs Unicron in the general election

• Like Like x 10
  8. Ironprime7

Ironprime7 Well-Known Member

I\'m surprised that the SS86 Hot Rod got the second most aount of votes, I personally love the figure but I thought the choices would be the kingdom cyclonus or studio series 86 grimlock

9. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I have such a hard time thinking what figures could match the pure shock and awe I felt when I got Unicron. Easily my pick for figure of the year. HMs go to Kingdom Cyclonus, SS86 Wreck-Gar, and SS86 Hot Rod.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shocked Rodimus didn't come up but it was a strong year I guess.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Illiterate Scholar

Illiterate Scholar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I interesting to hear that MP 52+ has improvements over the regular one. I take it they improved the feet, ankle, and knees on MP 52+?

12. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great selections everyone!

I look forward to this TFW2005 story every year; it's a highlight right up there with the Kaye and Chalk holiday greetings!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    >none of you picked K Rodimus Prime.
    tiresome-sw-png.png

• Like Like x 2
  14. Skylanderformer

Skylanderformer (yells)

Haslab hurts my heart. Unicron ain't a half bad toy though. But we all know which Unicron is superior.

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can definitely see the picks for SS Hot Rod. Of all the transformers released this year, I think he does what he is supposed to do the best. As for myself, I will give it to his alternate ID Rodimus Prime. I know he was pricey for what you got, but any Rodimus fan should be happy to finally get a great retail Rodimus figure.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  16. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

$80-85 is my guess as to why.

That's too much $$$ for a small toy w QC probs on trailer. :banghead: 

We should, however, consider weight classes! :lol  Like, best deluxe? Best Core?

• Like Like x 4
  17. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As far as fun toys go, I would say Armada Unicron may be better than the Haslab release, but for sheer presence, Haslab wins hands down.
    Though, I do enjoy the Cybertron Deluxe...

• Like Like x 6
  18. Scypris

Scypris Fire in another hole!

News Credits:
    My figure of the year is studio series 86 Grimlock. Looks great in both modes and the transformation is simple yet fun.

19. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    Dang, a lot of picks for Hot Rod, not a figure I would have expected given it's high price and finicky shoulders. Meanwhile, only one pick for Cyclonus who is utterly fantastic in every way except the amount of red in his purple coloring.

For my pick, it's core-class Soundwave, that thing is amazing for the size and price, it gets so many little nuances right, it even has a tiny Laserbeak tape.

20. Jedi Kermit

Jedi Kermit I try to save a life a day, usually it's my own...

News Credits:
    Megatron118's entry of the "Flame Toys Kuro Kara Kuri IDW Megatron" should not count as it is not an official Transformers toy.

Update.

After a little research, This is an official release.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2