The TFW military servicemen thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by General Magnus, Nov 4, 2014.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Retired in 2012 with ten active Army and ten National Guard. Three deployments and a few years of working at the Pentagon. I have a traveled military background :) 

2. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    My Dad is in the Army and has been for about 5-6 years now. He's coming back from a year long deployment in two weeks :D 

Being a part of an Army family has definitely changed my life for the better, while the cons (like not seeing your Dad for a year, for the 3rd time now) are there, I'm grateful for the benefits the Army has granted me and my family. Also grateful to those who also serve in the military,ya'll are awesome and braver than me :lol :

3. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    grandad was in the army in wwii, dunno what his mos was but his unit stormed a nazi camp and he personally stole one of their flags that they tried to hide, i actually have it at my house. if i can butter my parents up i'll be enlisting in june, no big deal if not though since i'll be 18 in august

4. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I usually tell them that its between me and God. I dislike it when people ask if its like Call of Duty. Yes, just like it. :/

Chuck

5. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol  I don't think any of the officers I worked with were quite that bad save for one 1stLt who acted like a frat boy thug whenever he was out of uniform. Needless to say, he didn't last long in the service.

I also recall working with a butter bar way back when in Okinawa. Cool guy (at first) but he was five-foot-nothing and was the last person you'd expect to go get a full back-covering Japanese tattoo similar to the ones that the yakuza get, lol. Man, did he turn into an ass when put on silver bars though. He used to be cool with us enlisted cats but for some reason as soon as he put on rank, he just turned mean and ornery.

Better to have too much than too little. :D 

I've had that question asked of me before and I just say no. My girlfriend at the time (now wife) certainly asked that of me. Nothing that I find personally offensive myself but I can see how to others who actually have been in the shit and seen/done things most of us could only imagine, the question could come off as loaded and may bring back some unpleasant memories of experiences best left unsaid/forgotten.

Save for a few instances (bomber/fighter or drone pilot, TACP, PJ, Security Forces, Combat Controller, those who've done convoy duty with joint forces - I've known a few guys who've done this during the height of the two recent wars), I can say that, generally speaking, most USAF members haven't had to make that terrible choice to take a life or face death. Doesn't lessen our contributions though as we each all have a role to play in getting the mission accomplished.

I also worked with a former AF member who survived being stabbed multiple times and nearly being murdered (his two friends - a married couple - were not so lucky). The guy who did it was fellow AF at the time (now on military death row). It certainly took courage on the part of my former colleague, as the sole survivor, to find the strength to recover from that horrific ordeal and testify against his attacker in court so that justice was done.

So there are other types of inner strength (and the associated PTSD that comes from the experience) that I got to see, at least secondhand.

As for my wife, she also toyed with the idea of joining the military academy for the Brazilian Air Force back when she was younger. She opted to go to a traditional college instead since she washed out of the initial tests and admitted she probably would've failed at their boot camp too.

I'm guessing the blood stains were from the snake. Great story!

6. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    I don't have much to contribute here, but I just want to say to everyone here who's served: thank you all for what you've done. If you didn't do what you did, none of the rest of us could do what we do. God bless you.

7. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    My uncle served in the Army for a while in Afghanistan I believe. I have't asked him about any stories though as of yet.

I'm somewhat considering join the Air Force or at least the Reserve but I don't think I could handle the basic training and commit so many years to it.

8. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    16 years myself, dont know if Im going to retire at 20 though. Two little girls kinda makes you rethink priorities. USCG MH-60T Quality Assurance.

9. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    If any of you know military tech guys, ask them when we are gonna get our fucking mechs!

10. Raiju

News Credits:
    I think this is as close as we're gonna get for a while. Mind you, they're only made in Japan and they're about $1 million USD a pop. :D  (Plus I think they're all sold out too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBt2baryWag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZ0WuNvHr8

But then, as cool as they cool, I don't think these Kurata mechs stand a chance against a good ol' Toyota Hilux 4x4 with a mounted .50 cal machine gun, the cost of which is certainly less than a cool mil (plus no real training is required). :lol 

11. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Generation 1 TALOS ( AKA US Army IronMan Project ) is already in testing. The expected full Field date for generation 2/3 suit is Summer 2018. This project stated about 10-12 years ago under the Future Soldier project at US Army Labs, Natick Ma.

Three unpowered prototype suits were delivered in June 2014. Development of the suit is a collaborative effort between 56 corporations, 16 government agencies, 13 universities, and 10 national laboratories. They are working together to incorporate features including a powered exoskeleton, full-body armor, and situational-awareness displays. SOCOM plans to hold a "monster garage" event to encourage mechanics and craftsmen to create components for the suit. They may seek permission from the Pentagon to distribute prize money to generate interest. Admiral McRaven expects a system to be fielded by August 2018

Think of it as a fully armored and enclosed New Jacket suit ( From Edge of Tomorrow - which was based on the HULC system )

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TALOS_(uniform))

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Funniest storuy was when during bootcamp, we kinda skipped showers after PE and our Lt found out. So, he took us to a ramp where the trucks are washed and hosed us for our trouble, at least 3 times«, outside, where it was fucking cold.

No one skipped showers after that day.

Then there was the field day (a week in the out doors), where we really found out the true sense of camaraderie. During the night time obstacle course, I was tired, had barely sleep, was still recovering from a 12 km uphill march with full combat gear and was on the verge of collapse. A dude from my platoon was in front of me and when I was about to trip and fell, the guy grabbed my arm and said "Come on! You ain´t quitting now. Let´s go!" His help was crucial that day and that´s how it should be in a platoon. A chain is only as strong as their links allow it to be.

13. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

Wow. Great story. Always wished to be part of that brotherhood and regret not having done so.

I was inches from becoming a Marine like many of my family members but my life took a different turn. Now looking back at my late teens and early 20's I sure could have used some sense knocked into me.

Nothing but respect for you guys. Thanks for what you've done for our country. I feel a sense of guilt for not having done my part those years ago.

14. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Less than 1% of the population serves, so it shouldn't inspire guilt. Hell, a nice chunk of that 1% realizes it wasn't for them anyway so that makes the number even smaller.

If you were meant to go in, you would have. Don't sweat it.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I had a crack at joining the RAAF Reserves, to see if I was suited for the lifestyle but I got rejected because I have a history of migraines.

16. Raiju

News Credits:
    Ah, there's mecha (in the Japanese anime and Armored Core / Titan Fall sense) and then there's Iron Man (I guess Master Chief from Halo counts too). :D 

I read that the Navy is testing some utility exoskeletons that allows the wearer to lift and hold heavy loads (using leverage against the ground) too. Of course, the combat suits are where a lot of interest lies. I suppose we aren't too many decades (if not years) off from seeing loader mech suits like the one Ripley used in the movie Aliens.

17. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Anyone here in the Navy?

Out of all the fields of service it seems like the one best suited for me.

18. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I'm in the Navy. Just hit my fifth year mark. What exactly are you looking to do job wise? I know a little about how the surface guys work, but all of my experience is with subs.

By the way, happy Veteran's Day all. If you currently serve or have served thank you. And if you're lucky enough to be home I hope you get to enjoy your day.

19. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Army was my past life. I don't care to relive any memory or happening. For me, what' s in the past stays in the past.

20. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Happy Veterans Day, brothers and sisters in arms.