The TFW Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sylent, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Any boxing fans here? I searched back to 2012 and didn't see a boxing thread, so if there's one floating around in TFW cyberspace, please merge, mods.

Is anyone going to drop $100 and order the WWE Mayweather vs. McGregor fight on August 26th? I swear, the WWE has to be producing this crap the way both fighters have been posturing and talking trash back and forth. Initially, I couldn't have cared less as I knew going in that this whole show is a money-making circus, but now, I'm kind of intrigued... still not enough to drop a Benji on it, but I'll go in with friends just to be social.

I never could stand Mayweather and never rooted for him throughout his career. A guy like that is hard to pull for. He's a wife beater, runs away from contact in the ring and just a general, all-world a-hole, but I hope he kicks McGregor's ass. I realize that the press conferences are all orchestrated production just for show, but the "Dance for me, boy" line really rubbed me the wrong way.

It's sad that this is what 'the sweet science' has devolved into.

2. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    This stuff is why I stopped watching professional fighting, basically. I got out of it around the end of the Foreman/Holyfield era.

I greatly dislike Mayweather, for pretty much every reason you listed. The only reason I want to see McGregor win is to shut him up. But He needs a dose of that himself IMO.

3. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    Oh please. mayweather did not beat his wife thats why there is no pictures showing proof.

Anyways, mayweather is my favorite boxer and it is amazing that he isthe #1 paid athlete. 800 million dollars is incredible!

I find it funny people dislike mayweather when conor is just a wanna be Mayweather. It makes no sense. If anything conor takes it over the top with his cockiness. Mayweather has made 800 million he has every right to be cocky.

People say he runs in the ring? So what. Hes smart. He dont wanna be messed up in the head from taking countless punches. So not only has that gotten him to 49-0 bit it will hopefully allow him to have a healthy future

Anyways hope Mayweather beats his ass.
    #TBT #TBE

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

JaZz, Mayweather has a LONG, storied history of domestic violence.

I miss the old days of boxing when there were no tomato cans. The Welterweight division was dipped in gold back in the 80's. Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns, Marvin Hagler (a Middleweight)... Back then, nobody ran from anyone else and all the top guys fought each other all the time.

Hagler vs. Hearns has been dubbed as the best 3 rounds in boxing.

5. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The funny thing is you will probably feel some sort of vindication when Mayweather beats McGregor. He's a boxer in a boxing match. Much of McGregor's offense is taken away from him. Mayweather is boxing record is 49-0 while McGregor is 0-0. Hold this match under MMA rules and it would be a completely different story. Also Mayweather did serve two months in jail for a domestic violence charge. Also if Mayweather was your favorite boxer you would at least get his name right.

6. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    Lol i have no idea why i put a H :lol  typical Brain fart.

And just because he did jail time dosent mean he did it. How many times have people had to go to jail for something they didnt do? Like i said, show me the pictures.

7. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I imagine your reaction to Mayweather being sentenced went like this.

But you have to admit that this fight won't prove who the better fighter is. All it proves is one guy got wealthy and the other even more wealthy.

8. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Use to watch boxing with my dad back in the 80's and 90's. We would always watch Tuesday Night Fights on the USA Network. Boxing was just better back then.

9. gil

gil Godmaster

You start a boxing thread, you should have started with Boxing! Canelo vs GGG!!! Golovkin by UD! And Pacquiao got robbed!

Speaking of Manny, the first time I saw Pacquiao fight was against Marco Antonio Berrera. I'm a filipino but Berrera was the dude that beat Prince Naseem Hamed. I will forever be greatful for Berrera in stopping Hamed's raise. So, I was expecting a Berrera win. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Filipino win. And we became fans like everybody else.

Here's a funny story: I went to Marine Corps Boot Camp at the end of 96 into 97. The same time Riddick Bowe also went to Boot Camp.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Boxing is not the sport it used to be. Not the athletes and not the actual boxing machine as it were. Back in the 70's Boxing was almost like, a social allegory or something. These days it's not even a circus, Tyson Fury was a guy who tried to jazz things up with his 'crazy' antics but honestly came across as a nutter who then famously went totally off the rails.

Mayweather... is a very good boxer. But is he exciting to watch? Nah. Not really. Anyway I'm curious about how this Mayweather/McGregor fight will turn out. I suspect McGregor is gonna get a shock when he realises that MMA isn't head and shoulders 'better' than boxing. What do I mean by that? Hrm. MMA seems to hold itself in very high regard as a combat sport but when I watch a lot of it it's not that technical. Take a MMA guy and restrict him to boxing and he's gonna have problems.

Lots of problems.