The Star Trek Toys Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by wheeljack01, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

my mom was a hardcore Trekkie, and it largely rubbed right off on me from an early age,
    despite gradually developing towards my lifelong passion as an Anime OTAKU from my mid-teen years onward.

my mom bought me a great deal of the PLAYMATES ST toys back in the first half of the 1990's, an entire large-size RUBBERMAID tubs' worth.
    like a couple of large ZIPLOC bags' worth of figures, and another worth of the attached accessories,
    plus several starships, two SHUTTLECRAFT vehicles, and the TRANSPORTER playset.

i must have well over half a dozen of those transparent Dilithium crystals, molded in various colors,
    that were included with the principal TNG characters...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. Icebot

Icebot Well-Known Member

I had a lot of the Playmates line as a kid. Probably only half a dozen or so figures but had the shuttlecraft and pretty much all the ships. The Klingon battle cruiser and the Romulan Warbird got a lot of work going up against my Enterprise D. I feel like I had all of the Micro Machines that came out. Sadly never got the bridge play set. Friend of mine had it though.

3. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1...

News Credits:
    that TNG bridge playset was really impressive...even now there's not a whole lot wrong with it...that Playmates line really spoiled Trek fans for the longest time...sure the Art Asylum/Diamond Select figures were more detailed and accurate, but there was just something about the considerable breadth of the Playmates line...

and the roleplay toys were top-notch affordable representations of what was onscreen...that TNG Tricorder was one of the best things they ever did...

I just don't understand why they avoided TOS, especially the STII TWOK era, for so long...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

News Credits:
    I love my tricorder, still have it, still works. When I got it, I modded it with extra flashing LEDs on the top, really cool.

5. Icebot

Icebot Well-Known Member

I had a tricorder and phaser. As a kid that tricorder felt like it came right off the set to me. I loved that thing.

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the TNG tricorder and Phaser. Also another tricorder (brown & doesn't fold). Bajoran tricorder?? Either way, didn't like that one anywhere as much as I liked the Starfleet version.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bearytrek

News Credits:
    Yeah they did some alien devices too

Still amazed they did McCoy's medical kit but no hypospray if I recall

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Found a photo of it. It is the Bajoran Tricorder.
    bajortricorder.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    I'd love an enterprise or discovery replica hypospray, is there anything?

10. bearytrek

News Credits:
    fan-made is probably the only option...

the only reason I can think they didn't make McCoy's hypospray is because there was some stigma with drug use...

it's such an iconic thing and that they made his medkit but didn't do the hypospray leads me to believe something raised some flags...

11. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    I figured a fanmade option might be the only options, but I was hoping someone knows of them, because I can only find 3d printed props needing major paint and modification to do anything, was hoping someone had a kit or something needing less tinkering

12. bearytrek

News Credits:
    I've only dabbled in the eaglemoss line, mostly getting them when packaged with a book,, but there have been a few that I couldn't resist

20200906_171909.jpg

I'm sort of smitten with ships that previously existed only conceptually, like the NX-01 refit that more resembeled the TOS Enterprise, the ring-ship Enterprise or the Phase 2 Enterprise...

I do envy those who have gone all-in on the line(s)...there have been a lot of great ships and I know if I start down the path (well I only want a D-7...) then it becomes impossible not to get more...have to satisfy myself with the Shipyards books they've been doing...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Icebot

Icebot Well-Known Member

^I’ve been considering the Discovery Enterprise but I want to see the difference between the discovery line one and the XL one.

14. bearytrek

News Credits:
    the XL one is just larger...can't really say there's that much more detail on it...

20200906_184955.jpg 20200906_184858.jpg
    20200906_184955.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Icebot

Icebot Well-Known Member

They both have a decent size since the Discovery line is bigger than the standard ships. No issues with either one that would make it less desirable? If not I think I will just order the Discovery version.

16. bearytrek

News Credits:
    the XL one is a couple of inches longer but as you can see they're virtually identical...they did a good job on this one...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's the general size of the eaglemoss and XL ships? Are they relatively small? I'd love get one or two for my work desk.

18. bearytrek

News Credits:
    just looking at the bbts descriptions, the Disco Enterprise is about 10 1/2 inches long vs the regular ship at 8 1/2 inches long

• Like Like x 1
  19. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Miniatures count as toys, I think. One of my ongoing projects while social distance isolation is on has been going through my heaps of unpainted miniatures, and I found a couple things to work on in my Federation Commander/SFB boxes. Some touchups on older stuff, and I have a couple Saladin/Hermes and a Ptolemy not even assembled. Dunno whether to try to find mini-scale decals, or try to freehand lettering on the Fed hulls.

20. bearytrek

News Credits:
    I used to have (still do I imagine, they haven't gone anywhere) a lot of Star Fleet Battles miniature ships...mostly impressed with the plastic Federation ones, but the Klingon ships were nice too...I think I had most releases (Gorn, Tholian, Orions, Romulan, Kzinti, Hydrans, Lyrans included) up to the time when they expanded to fightercraft and the Andromedans...