The Star Trek Toys Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by wheeljack01, Nov 10, 2006.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I was wanting to buy a few orginal series characters that were very detailed and that had good articulation. Do they actually still make star trek figures? I just want the orginal crew characters.

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    palisades...or is that art asylum, did the most recent line. yes, with the original cast. even had mirror universes version.

3. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I was about to post something about Diamond Select Toys, but then I ran into some confusion at BBTS.

Art Asylum is still making Star Trek figures, and they are partnered with Diamond Select. They seem to now be focusing on Next Generation, but there is a new Kirk coming out (with Captain's chair), and Mirror McCoy.

4. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Art Asylum hands down, they are an amazing company, just plagued with bad timing on their choice of lines, they are also the guys that brought us the awesome sculpts of Matrix statue, Busts of Prime, Megatron, and the Rodimus/Unicron statue

• Like Like x 1
  5. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe Toddy Mac will get the license, and do 'Nightmare Star Trek' figures. As a kid, I made the best Star Trek figures...in my Microwave! Mom was pissed, though. The smell of burnt action figure lingered for days.

-Tony!

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i want some Art Asylum ships

*needs more money* :p 

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can still get some of the Art Asylum ones on ebay that focuse on TOS. This past year the convention exclusives focused on Mirror, Mirror. And a few items from the early run of Art Asylum focused on these too...Do a search on ebay, you will find some TOS stuff. They also did a run right after that focusing on DS9's Trouble and Tribbleations episode.

But yes right now the focus is on TNG, and the figures are absolutely fantastic. If you are a Trekkie even just a little bit I recommend them.

8. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don’t know what it is I have been a passive Star Trek fan. I like the shows and movies but never to the Treky level but lately I have been really digging the Star Trek ship aesthetic.

So my question is has there ever been a line of ships made that where all to scale? I have seen some stuff but they weren’t scale.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have a bunch of the Micro Machines Star Trek sets. They are not to scale though. The closest I have seen is the model kits I have. It's a set with the Enterpise, Enterprise A, and Enterprise D all together and to scale. It's only those three ships though.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not to my knowledge. Most ships are scaled up or down, just so the toys/models are roughly the same physical size.

I think the reason is because (for instance) the Enterprise from The Next Generation around twice as big as Captain Kirks Enterprise. There was a gold model kit that had 3 different Enterprises as part of it, all in scale with each other, but that was out years and years ago.

If you do go for these ships, I'd recommend the Bandai prepainted models, even though they're quite pricey they're very very nice, even if they are out of scale with each other.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I've spent years talking with folks about this, and here are some references on this:

1. Most of the Star Trek ship toys are based off of the AMT/Ertl model kits; they're relatively simplified versions of the kits. The Movie enterprise toy put out by Art Asylum looks to be around 1:750-1:800. The Old Playmates Enterprise D is just smaller than the Ertl kit, putting it at approximately around 1:1600 or below.

2. If you're looking for stuff in similar scales, Trek garage modelers have spent years scaling stuff to the following AMT/Ertl kit scales:

Original Star Trek I through IV Enterprise: 1/650 (or abouts)
    TNG Enterprise: 1/1400 (approx.)
    Enterprise 3-set: 1/2500 (again, approx.)

A nice reference for these scales is http://www.federationmodels.com/. WHILE I RECOGNIZE THAT YOUR QUESTION WAS ABOUT TOYS AND NOT MODELS, these guys have an awful lot of reference scales for the model kits. And, like I mentioned above, many of the Playmates toys are almost the same size (and generally the same scale) as the AMT/Ertl kits.

EDIT: You could also use the scale comparisons on www.merzo.net to get an approximate idea of how big the ships are.

12. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    There were two model kits with six different ships bettween the two sets. These are the only ones that are suposed to be close to 'in scale'.

You can mix and match the toys as there have been so many good toys out there, Futura, Johnny Lightning, Corgi, Art Asylum, Micro Machines, they have all put out different scales of these great ships.

The two kits suck for detail but you can get detail decals and other ideas for those two kits. You can also check outhttp://www.culttvman.com/trek.html for some great referance material.

Spencer

13. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's the one I mentioned. I have it and was gonna just throw it out. Do you think it's worth anything?

14. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the info guys. I think model kits are going to be larger then I’m interested in.

Some of those links are pretty cool.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There were two other model sets which are supposed to be in scale with that three-ship set. One had a TNG Romulan warbird, Ferengi marauder, and Klingon Bird of prey. The other came out around the time the "First Contact" movie did, and had the Enterprises B, C, and E. No idea how easy it is to find those kits nowadays though. Also, they are pure model kits, so you have to do all the assembling and painting yourself (or hire someone).

(I built a lot of aircraft models in my younger days)

16. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I've been a Trek fan for 20 years and I have a small trek figure and vehicle collection also. I only have the playmates Romulan warbird, Klingon attack crusier and the original Enterprise. I would love to buy the art asylum 1701-A and E.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Finding the set with the B, C and E is a brain-damaging hassle. They go for a lot on Ebay and had a pretty tiny production run. I feel incredibly fortunate that I stumbled on one in retail.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I saw your post was posted just before mine.

As to value, I don't think it would be to be honest, doesn't seem to be much demand on eBay. :( 

19. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I might be interested in it. :)  I love star trek models......

20. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Shoot me a PM with an offer.