The Soul of Chogokin, Soul SPEC, SIC, & Super Robot Chogokin Choking on Gokin Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by viper2391, Aug 29, 2007.

1. nycPrime

nycPrime Well-Known Member

I placed an order for Gunbuster GX-34 through mandarake. Price is good and only damage mentioned was to the box, which I don't really care about. I reached out to confirm the figure itself was fine, and they responded that the tail is bent out of shape. Big deal or no deal?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. nycPrime

nycPrime Well-Known Member

Did a google search and also on this forum. Looks like fixing bent plastic isn't too big a deal. For those who have much more experience with Mandarake, should I be worried about the condition? The GX-34 I ordered was well under retail. Would they cut it that much just for a busted box? Now after learning about bent plastic, should I be worried about greater wear and tear in general?

3. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

The problem for Golion is that retailers, at least some of them, aren't getting anywhere near the stock required to satisfy the demand. That means not only money left on the table but also angry customers if you have to go as far as to cancel preorders. Here in Italy we heard that Bandai's distributor put a limit of 2 copies per shop and at my trusted shop they didn't even put a preorder listing because they don't know how many copies they will be able to secure. When you hear stories like those it's difficult not to think that the offer simply isn't enough for the demand. What I don't know is if Bandai miscalculated the production run for Golion or they couldn't make more of them due to other factors like factories allocations.

• Like Like x 3
  4. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always hear people say Bandai miscalculated the GoLion production run. I never makes sense to me. I don’t know how they could judge demand, so many people who bought that release don’t typically buy SOC and given that Bandai doesn’t typically sell the Voltron / GoLion product I imagine they were a little in the dark regarding demand.

Now miscalculating Marcoss runs, they do that shit like it’s their job. I don’t know how you can’t figure that shit out to not make it a fucking nightmare for fans.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I know I had several chances after watching a bunch of reviews and admiring pics of GoLion. I don't remember how long exactly but it was quite a while since you have to factor in everyone getting theirs, taking and posting a ton of pics and reviews for it. I kept passing and finally it sold out but I could have easily bought several at retail price back then.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Also, I will reiterate that I don't think Bandai is miscalculating anything...at least not by as much as we all hope to think. They are an international corporation with bean-counters whose calculations are most likely telling them it's more profitable to produce other items instead of more of these high end niche items. It's great for business when all your high end items sell out instantly and you have no extra stock clogging the shelves. Each unsold SOC or DX item costs more to make and to store because of the size and parts count. Selling more small, cheap items at a higher margin means more profit and less potential loss.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I'm not into the toy manufacturing business, but I guess they do analysis and market researches. They also probably receive inputs from sellers and distributors and I wouldn't be surprised if they have access to at least limited data for competing products runs. Of course all of these aren't 100% accurate.

8. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Exactly. Peopme are acting like Golion was this massively underproduced debacle when it literally sat on both overseas and U.S. sites for some time post release. I don't want to quite call it revisionist history but there's that huge, significant point that's being purposefully glossed over for the sake of saying boo Bandai.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  10. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My missing link..... looks beautiful!

• Like Like x 1
  12. gen1autobot

gen1autobot GEN1AUTOBOT

Mine as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Factory allocation was something Bandai brought up last year as to explain why they can't just rerelease something upon initial sellouts. Even with the imposed limit your local shops had, it's not guaranteed that those that ordered 2, will get both, let alone 1, it's happened in the past with someone else here on the boards that had an account with Bandai and ordered some other Bandai product(SOC or some other Bandai Chogokin line). The good thing is, Japanese Golion goods aren't embargoed outside of Japan, so hopefully it's just a matter of time before everyone who wants one, is able to get one.

14. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    If anyone has a quick tip on attaching the cape to Aussenseiter I'd appreciate it. Saves me digging through tubs for the instructions. The transformation back to bot was stupid easy but I cannot visually see how the cape attaches at all

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine's buried in my closet somewhere, so I can't readily check. You've removed the collar piece for Dygenguar, yes? Then you should just have the three main drapery pieces, with nothing else attached to them. I know the main piece sits under the saddle/holster on his back. I don't remember off the top of my head how the side pieces connect. I think there was a clip under the shoulderpads or something? There's a squarish hole in the cape pieces that plug over something, I remember that much.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Thank you for this response and yes I took the large collar off of Dygenguar and the cape piece left was a larger black piece that attached to that collar and three hanging cape pieces from that. So, take off the side pieces and look for something under the shoulders and try to attach the larger black piece and middle cape section under the backpack?

I really wish Bandai had a repository with PDFs of instructions.

17. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Alright so it's fairly easy just taking the three pieces off. I didn't realize the large, oval'ish black piece was solely Dygenguar as well. Here's a pic I took for future reference.

Attached Files:

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad you got that sorted.

Yeah, I tried to convey that the cape should be completely stripped down of extra parts, but if you didn't realize that the part was "extra", then that doesn't actually help, does it?

19. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  20. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    It's all good. It took seconds to notice once I turned it around the tabs but I'll say the two blocks on the shoulder piece that the side parts attach to came out with them... simple re glue but I'm surprised it was constructed like that vs a solid piece.

----------

Goofing around with Aussenseiter I realized that the thing is a thigh swivel from what I'd consuder full-on articulated (I let the waist swivel slide because there's really no waist to swivel with how it comes apart for transformation .) It's a parts former but still extremely smart in its engineering.

• Like Like x 1