The Soul of Chogokin, Soul SPEC, SIC, & Super Robot Chogokin Choking on Gokin Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by viper2391, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

You should absolutely get Daltanious! I’d say to get whatever version you like better or is cheaper. As for the design, it’s one of my favorite Super Robots of all time, probably second to Mazinger.

2. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster No relation to the Autobot, ironically. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    @fschuler @Junkmech Also, I hope i'm not the only one who think we're LONG OVERDUE for this one...

SOC Gurren Lagann. My favorite single anime series of all time (favorite FRANCHISE goes to Dragon Ball by a mile). The SRC exists, but I think we're long overdue for a more inexpensive large-scale Gurren Lagann. Though that new CCS one looks great, no thanks for $300+.

• Like Like x 3
  3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I have to admit that I'm not familiar with Gurren Lagann **dodges stones**. In fact, my anime exposure up until a couple years ago was limited to Voltron and Robotech (which I didn't realize until adulthood were based on anime shows) as well as a few movies (Akira, Fist of the North Star and others that used to play on Friday nights on a local TV station in the 90s). I have more recently watched most of Evangelion, some of the Macross media and the odd anime movie here and there. I find that watching the shows makes me want the toys...lol... I'm still pining for Kaneda's bike from Akira...but the nice one is priced a bit above what I consider sane at the moment... And a couple more Macross or Robotech toys will likely find their way into my hands in the coming years.

4. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    Definitely should get to it if you can, absolutely amazing show in it's own right. Funnily enough, actually got to Akira a while ago, when someone on YouTube legit, uploaded Akira, undoctored, and managed to keep it up for at least a couple days thanks to the title, which iirc, was on the lines of.

"Not Akira full movie, just a slime tutorial".

What a madlad that guy who uploaded it was.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah I thought about this a lot.. I'd want an SoC of Gurren Lagann IF they made some sort of magic transformation for them to separate into their constituent parts. It's never been done in a figure and I figure the thing SoC could bring to the table would be that. In the meantime, I'm probably in on the CCS one - It's big enough to justify the cost, and probably my second favorite mecha overall. :D 

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You mean, outside of the Studio Halfeye version.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Junkmech

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Also gotta say, you guys are making me feel sickeningly weebish. I own most of my favorite anime on bluray, and have tons of merch from a lot of it... I won't get into it but.. LOL. :oops: 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Junkmech

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    WHAT
    Update: Didn't know this existed. Satisfied to know that it does; price tag makes me want to buy Dairugger. (Because I've previously considered Dairugger as prohibitively expensive. By comparison...)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

If you're not familiar with Studio Halfeye, I wouldn't blame you. They're not a big manufacturing outlet. They're a small-scale studio that produces hand-made resin figures, and thus their product is only available in very limited quantity, and frequently goes for huge money.

Their claim to fame is realizing "perfect transformation" mechanics for impossible "anime magic" transforming robots. Things like Getter Robo, Gunbuster, and yes, Gurren Lagann.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  10. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    You should

11. fschuler

12. R Muzzy

R Muzzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Man, A Gurren Lagann like that is all I want out of the S.O.C. line. That Studio Half-Eye release is great, but I could never justify the costs of anything they put out. Here's hoping I'll see Bandai put one out someday before I die.

13. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    Personally, i'd say make it fricking gigantic, and split it into two. So you can have a really playable Lagann that can plop right into Gurren. I'd say for Bandai to put some Figuarts of the Dai-Gurren crew together, mainly for Simon and Kamina to fit inside, but then again, at that size, it would be GIGANTIC. This is SOC Gurren Lagann, not Fans Toys Fort Max, haha.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    @fschuler @Junkmech ngl, impressive how Dairugger just splits into a crapton of tiny cars, haha.

Ngl i'm imagining all of them circling around their metaphorical prey, then combining together and finishing the job.

• Like Like x 2
  15. fschuler

And for all of that combining of all those little vehicles, he is amazingly solid, stable and articulated. The only part I have found to be at all jiggly is one of the waist pieces (the connection between the blue/white abdominal vehicle and the black waist vehicle). He's impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    Haven't seen the source material, so imo, that doesn't really merit me to go for it at this stage. Better make that change sooner or later!

Consider me one to bend that rule. Hell, I got that Figma of Mako from Kill La Kill without even SEEING Kill La Kill as of yet. On my watchlist btw. Haha.

• Like Like x 1
  17. fschuler

I get that. I still can’t believe I spent over $300 on an action figure...didn’t think I would ever get this far down the rabbit hole. But, Voltron was one of my favorites as a kid, so I didn’t hesitate when the preorders went up. It’s probably kind of a good thing I’m not more familiar with most of the source material behind all the other SOCs out there or I’d be broke...lol.

18. Junkmech

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Now imagine if you spent $500 USD on MP-44! :p 
    I couldn't believe I'd spent so much in one place when I shelled out ~250 for MP Dinobot last year. And yet, here I am with my figure collection averaging about $160/figure. Yeesh. SoC isn't helping that at all.

• Like Like x 2
  19. fschuler

I remember looking at SOCs in the mid 2000’s and thinking to myself there was no way in hell I’d ever own any due to the price. I still don’t have many, but the fact that I have any at all still kind of surprises me. They are worth it, though. They’re toys and pop-culture works of art all rolled up into one.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Yeah, I held off for a long time. Had some SRC from a while back that I thought were incredibly great for the price, articulation and look but didn't jump up to SOC until GGG broke me. That was the beginning of the end for Transformers AGAIN to me. I started really rolling with the super high end Bandai, Arcadia, Sentinel products and those were leaving TakaraTomy in the dust, imo. Now, TT is slowly coming back with some better Transformers and Diaclone but I still prefer the premium feel coming out of the the other companies.

• Like Like x 1
  21. fschuler

No doubt. I still remember pulling Zamboace out of the package for the first time and instantly realizing why these things are expensive. It literally felt like I was getting my money’s worth. There is simply nothing about them that feels cheap. It’s like ML vs. SHF. They’re in different leagues.

• Like Like x 2