The Soul of Chogokin, Soul SPEC, SIC, & Super Robot Chogokin Choking on Gokin Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by viper2391, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks! Yeah I know. I don’t think it’s worth $200 either. I got it on NY so 19K yen plus a cool $30 for shipping. Anyway you slice it, it’s not worth it. But here I am anyway lol.

• Like Like x 1
  2. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

I think TR may have meant the actual MSRP (20k-yen or so) for GX-33R rather than the aftermarket pricing.

It is rather inexplicably price-gouging expensive for what it is.

I don't really get the hype and overpricing for this GX-33R version.

I used to see the original bargain-binned at around 5k-yen at ami other jp-shops, and shelf-warming and unwanted even at that low pricing for, like, ever.

• Like Like x 2
  3. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Leopaldon R on preorder at NY: 19600 yen plus at least 2900 for (super slow) shopping.....

Them and bandai can both shove that stupid bracelet up their stinking asses!

4. treatment

Yeah.

I now dread that Bandai is gonna totally overprice/scalp us with their upcoming GX-25R and GX-26R themselves...

:throw 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Yeah I got my copy dirt cheap. I have a feeling if you don’t preorder you will have a lower point of entry.

That goes for Daltanious too.

6. GX9901DoubleX

GX9901DoubleX Well-Known Member

I took my SOC Leopardon (always been one of my favorite SOC's) out of a display case and also dug out the box for the rest of the contents after learning about the upcoming "R" re-issue. I had forgotten that it came with a sofubi Spider-Man, so it seems that the "R" version replaces the sofubi with the bracelet? I guess the bracelet might be cooler to have than the sofubi, but neither probably matters that much to me.

Compared to the pictures of the "R" version, I can't tell any difference between it and the original release. Perhaps some of the paint will have slightly different shades? Anyway, I think it's a great little SOC that has aged really well, and it's good that it'll get a bit more exposure now with Bandai's apparent focus on Toei Spider-Man later this year.

7. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

The new one includes a very detailed Proplica piece that would likely normally go for ~$90 US on it's own. The original only had a vinyl spiderman fig. And yeah the price kind of sucks. I think I paid $50 for the original a few years back. It was one of the last of the low cost easy to find early gen SOC's to disappear from the marketplace. It's a great fig at the modern FA price point of $120. It's not however a $200 fig.

8. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

The R version has the head crest on an effects part. I think they got rid of the spring fire gimmick. (which is probably for the best to be honest. To display with crest on the bloody thing is always locked and loaded and easy to lose.)

9. Rewind

Rewind Data Slug

News Credits:
    Jeezuz...I got the original Leopardon for like $65-$70 when it came out. Even with inflation $200 is excessive. I hope the people buying it for that price know how tiny it is.

I’m definitely getting the Super Minipla Leopardon tho.

10. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Sucks to hear all the original owners complaining about this releases price...even diehards that pay for some of the most premium items out there @TattooedRobot :D 
    But it’s good to hear what people think of the value. I’ve actually been eying the original release for a while and never found one worth pulling the trigger on to me but I instaordered this just because it makes it easy for me and comes with the bracelet with sounds and lights. That’s worth at least $5, lol if not the $90 @Faelon valued it at. If I feel ripped off, oh well but I don’t think I will since I also paid an additional amount to get SHF Spidey and it will make my eventual Spidey shelf very happy. Plus, I just got Getter DX-70 for about half price from the NY sale and those were the two outstanding pieces I really wanted so it evens out the price a bit. If they really give us GX-25 and 26 in some form and then I get my hands on Aphrodite and a Dragon Getter, I might be just about done with SOC.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GX9901DoubleX

Yeah, that head crest firing gimmick is pretty annoying. If the R version got rid of it, it's certainly for the better in my opinion.

$200 does seem excessive for GX-33R, but it does seem to already be sold out of pre-orders at most places, so I guess it was priced correctly?

I'm in on the Super Minipla Leopardon as well. Looks like another good one.

12. Pharoid

News Credits:
    To be fair it’s one of those Bots that must have a pretty small audience. I am pretty tolerant of high prices for obscure things. For it’s time it’s a great release a little dated now but it must be in my collection.

That fucking Spidey is fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  13. treatment

Either that, or the scalpers cornered and hoarded all the po-stocks again.

If so, it'll be totally funny how much they would try to scalp it for...

:scalper 

:ev: 

14. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I guess I'm willing to go the $200 route for it, knowing that the device is pretty cool and plays the theme song. But damn, what's up with all the pre-orders going poof? That's just nasty sauce.

15. Slave IV

Perhaps there is a reduced amount of planned production due to obscurity of the character and global pandemic combined?

16. GX9901DoubleX

The bracelet plays the theme song? That would interest me, LOL! But I can't spend $200 on a toy I already have just for the bracelet.

That may be true. But it's curious that Bandai apparently is pushing this obscure character with SOC (albeit recycled), SH Figuarts, and Super Minipla all due out around the same time. Hopefully there will be availability later on for those who want it.

17. Slave IV

Yeah, it could just be them thinking if they are going to do it, go all out. Would love to see if there is something else in related media planned.

18. Predaking000

Predaking000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The current situation aside, I don't think Bandai would treat this character as more obscure than, say, Daltanious or the upcoming Tryder G7. Even though the Toei Spider-Man is a relatively obscure variant (outside of Asia), it's still got that international Spidey appeal, fueled by the Marvel films and Into the Spider-Verse. And in fact, it was reading Ready Player One years back that made me take a second look at Leopardon, even though I'd had no interest in that design before. And with things like appearing in Spider-Geddon #3, the Leopardon design is clearly somewhere in the American nerd consciousness.

The SOC Leopardon (GX-33) has been out of production quite a bit longer than the other recent SOC reissues (GX-59R, GX-60R, GX-66R), so the recent sellout could just be pent-up demand from people who'd missed out on the first release. Also, U.S./Bluefin retailers haven't listed it yet, so it could be easily available shortly.

I'm actually much more interested in the Figuarts figure than Leopardon itself (which I wish were bigger and didn't require the swapping arms). If it weren't for the opportunity to display the Toei Spider-Man w/ the robot, I might not buy the GX-33R. Very smart move by Bandai.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  19. Slave IV

Yeah, for $200, it's a tough sell since I was passing on listings for $50 less before the announcement. Getting it all in one shot with SHF Spidey just made logic disappear for me and I had to pull the trigger.

20. Hellbot

Hellbot Well-Known Member

Really late to the party, but who was offering a combo with SHF Spidey?