The Smaller Teams in TRANSFORMERS or the Mass Armies of ROTF & DOTM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Matt Starr, Sep 4, 2011.

?

The smaller teams of TF (2007) or the mass armies of ROTF & DOTM?

1. The smaller teams & more individualized characters of TF (2007)

39 vote(s)
    66.1%
  2. The mass Decepticon armies of ROTF & DOTM

20 vote(s)
    33.9%
  1. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

So far it's looking like a consistent 60% majority prefer the smaller individualized teams.

That's what I voted for myself. I just loved how in TF1, every fan big and small knew the name of each character, because each character got a chance to really shine and make a name for themselves. It's why to this day you will still hear clamoring for Leader Class Blackout and Bonecrusher. They made such an impact on you.

Spielberg is genius and that's why we got to know those characters in TF1 better than the sequels (his idea in case anyone forgot/wasn't aware).

Is it necessary for there to be just those smaller teams in a Transformers movie? I don't think so--think of the Star Wars Trilogy (yeah you know which trilogy I'm talking about) and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy---plenty of unnamed, mass armies, fighting and dying by the bucketloads, and yet that didn't hold people back from loving them dearly.

I guess there's something about a pre-existing franchise where we DO already know so many characters, that we do appreciate seeing that fleshed-out personalization with the characters onscreen. I think that's why the majority of us here so far really connected with that limited character approach over the mass drones and larger rosters.

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    There's nothing wrong with mass armies, so long as there only about 5 or so on each side that get some spotlight moments.

3. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I'd say smaller teams. I think mass armies can work, but I think they should've tried to have been more creative with the protoforms. Like making the fighter crafts actual 'Con Seekers instead of piloted vehicles for example.

4. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    I like both. They both served purposes in the individual films.

TF1: A Decepticon scout team searching for the Cube and Megatron.

DOTM: Al ur planetz belong to use! They were invading, so they needed at bigger army.

ROTF: Is somewhere between the two.

Besides, if it were smaller teams, they would all likely be named. And if that were the case, people would bitch and moan about how (named character) gets his face taken by Optimus in 0.5 seconds. It's easier with generics that way. So the audience gets an entree before the full course meal.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Smaller Teams.

In the cartoons they can do the mass armies and give everyone a charecter but in a movie you had those humans who take up most of the screen time.

I mean how many people actually remember Dino having a personality.

6. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    DOTM did it right, with a core cast of Sentinel, Megatron, Starscream, Shockwave, Soundwave, Laserbeak, Dylan, and Barricade for the Decepticons, and a massive army of hundreds of Decepticons truly devastating Chicago. The core Decepticons got some character, and the massive army put up a damn good fight before going down. With the exception of Ratchet, Dino, and Sideswipe, all the Autobots got good character in DOTM as well.

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Idk,Sideswipe was treated alot better in this movie. Can't say the same about Mirage and Ratchet though...Personally I think Topspin fits that bill more than Sideswipe. BTW,you forgot about the dreads