The Slugslinger Quest - TFSource Article

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I spent most of my adult toy collecting life focusing on series 1 and 2 of Transformers, as well as Pre-Transformers and all of their global variants. A year and a half ago I started to collect vintage TFs again and focused heavily on post-Movie Headmasters, Powermasters and Targetmasters. Since the first lot of those I bought were in such beautiful condition, it set the standard for every other vintage figure I collected subsequently. That is, no discolouration, totally complete, box and paperwork present and top quality vintage stickers applied. Now, used Generation 1 Transformers from 1987 and 1988 are plentiful, but in the condition required for sample photography worthy of a resource guide like the Generations books, some of those figures can be even tougher to locate than sealed specimens!

The Slugslinger Quest | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 2
  2. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

I love this @Maz - it's a crazy article, but I understand your love for the strange figure, I feel that the targetmasters especially the decepticons were just fantastic figures

• Like Like x 1
  3. Neuta

Neuta Rockets Redglare

News Credits:
    The original Decepticon targetmasters were special. I spent many a moment looking at them on the shelves of Woolworth's!

Cool article Mazmeister, did you consider the hydrogen peroxide trick to un-bleach faded slugsegments? Never tried it myself but I heard it works...

4. jame5y

Btw a Triggerhappy complete is my grail, but without paying an arm and leg (one more arm than my current Triggerhappy has...) it's virtually impossible

5. Neuta

Neuta Rockets Redglare

News Credits:
    Missfire was always my favourite. Am wondering if Takara TR Triggerhappy will have the proper face for him...

6. jame5y

I took my G1 version apart today... face almost fits........

• Like Like x 1
  7. Neuta

Neuta Rockets Redglare

News Credits:
    I wish 3P companies would make new heads for Titans Return figures, they could do an IDW Rodimus, a Triggerhappy sans faceplate (I love faceplates, but I don't like them missing where they're meant to be or attached where they never used to be!), a Galvatron with proper paint for the Habsro release, toy colours Astrotrain...

• Like Like x 1
  8. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I'm currently winding down collecting G1, mostly because I've pretty much managed to get most of the figures I always wanted: it's by no means a complete collection.
    Some of the last figures I ended up buying weren't even the rarer figures like the Japanese only 'bots, but rather the figures that were regular world-wide releases but which were also prone to discoloration or breakage (often due to GPS). Amongst these, Slugslinger, which I don't really rate very highly. Still can't get into the double cockpit. So although my Slugslinger does have a perfect, unstressed Caliburst, it is discoloured, and I have no need to upgrade him.

Then again, for Getaway, another notoriously hard Transformer to find un-yellowed, I did go out of my way to find a perfect pure white example. Likewise, I bought a Gig Diaclone Porsche ('Jazz'), unused, only to quickly buy another one which was by far even more perfect, pure white and unapplied. So I definitely understand the will to get the perfect specimen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow.
    Mind blown. How many slugslingers did you have to buy in the end?
    How much did you spend?!!!
    Great article.
    I did the same myself to get g1 fort max.
    Still looking for a grand max pretender shell, though.

10. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

It's fun reading about your journey to find the perfect Slugslinger, Maz.
    Now if you could only find one with an affinity for donuts...

• Like Like x 1
  11. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    man, i hope if the rumored TR Slugslinger comes to pass his jet mode is really accurate, i love SS's alt form.

12. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I don't know why Slugslinger is my favorite of the Decepticon Targetmasters, I think I just like his design more then the others.

I don't collect the original G1 figures but I'm really excited to see if the rumors happen and we get a Titans Return Slugslinger (and Misfire)

Nice article Maz!

• Like Like x 1
  13. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Been in the same boat as you trying to track down a unyellowed one. On an unrelated note, I thought the Japanese Targetmasters didn't have rub signs? Or did they get both?

• Like Like x 1
  14. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i mentioned it in another one of your threads, but brings back memories of hunting him down in summer 1987. finally lucked out when i called Children's Palace. now i want to go to the parents' house and get him out of storage to check the yellowing which i don't remember being too bad except maybe one foot.

-

• Like Like x 1
  15. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, this guy takes me back. I used to have and very much like him. What's funny is the figures from late in my collection were in pretty good shape, if I'd kept him I might have had one in great shape. Of course i have no memory of how good or bad than silver chest paint was. His wavemate Misfire was actually either the last or second to last Transformer I got before I stopped collecting as a child. I can't remember if it was him (a Christmas gift) or Getaway (who I really didn't like) that finished things out. I remember really feeling like the quality had gone down the toilet with Getaway.

Great, fun article.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

Your article on discoloration, and the trials that come to finding that virtually perfect specimen not only entails my #3 reason for why I need to have my permanent collection also be an AFA graded one... But what collectors, like myself, go through when juggling all issues tied to having OCPD while making an effort to collect anything.

And quite honestly, if it was not for my limited budget, I'd probably have ended up spending around a grand just to make sure that my first graded piece was an AFA 90+. So I am not going to ask how much you have spent just to get your ideal Slugsliner.

17. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    Guess i got lucky. i found him in a massive bag of random transformers (no targetmaster though) at a thrift store for $2. just needed to be washed and he looks great.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr: