The Simpsons (television show on FOX)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Firstly. The Simpsons has lasted so long it is parodying fucking Death Note.

Secondly. That was a single minute of Simpsons anime and it was more fucking amazing then it had any right to be. WTF.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The animation alone will make me watch the episode

• Like Like x 2
  3. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    While the topic's up here, I did watch the special Treehouse "IT" parody episode. I thought it was all right, though could have done without seeing the Simpsons kids in there at all (in the original novel, whatever spell Pennywise had over the Loser's adult lives prevented them from having children of their own).

4. There D Hood

There D Hood Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Another

• Like Like x 5
  5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    I need more of this in my life.

I want… I want an entire show like this.

• Like Like x 2
  6. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Steve Johnson? Ryuk is not played by Bart?

*Checks Simpsons Wiki

Who the heck is Sideshow Raheem?
    Sideshow Raheem | Simpsons Wiki | Fandom

Yeah... I don't think so...

7. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Ok, I want a dedicated Simpsons anime now, even if it’s Disney+ exclusive!

• Like Like x 1
  8. There D Hood

There D Hood Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    It aired tonight. Unfortunately, it was about seven minutes as one segment of the whole episode which is true to Treehouse of Horror. It's fun and looked great but felt a bit rushed. Didn't find the dialogue all that funny, but that's modern Simpsons to me.

9. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

The SimpsonsWorld part of Treehouse of Horror XXXIII was amazing! Loved all the callbacks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    This one had a few moments that made me laugh. Most in the Westworld Parody.

11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    We watched Not It last night. I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was all that thrilling. In fact, it was kind of boring. Also, some of the voices sound terrible these days and I don't mean just Marge. Carl, Kodos, and Kang all sounded completely different and not in a good way. The story itself was okay and there was a moment or two I chuckled at, but nothing that was down right funny. I am curious how this would work for someone who has not seen the It movies, though I will give them credit for making a show that wasn't just a 1 to 1 copy of the movies/book but with Simpsons characters in it.

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The bit where Homer shoots the Ralphs with the TShirt cannon and one bounced off and killed Maude Flanders made me chuckle.

• Like Like x 3
  13. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
  14. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    It probably won’t end unless one of the main voice actors passes away or has to retire like Tom Kane. While the show continuing is of course silly, obviously I don’t want anything to happen to the cast. It’s still sobering to hear what they sound like these days, though.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    From what I've heard, they're already got replacement actors on standby for the main cast.

16. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't been keeping up with the show any, but YouTube's suddenly been recommending me clips from what I assume is the latest season, and honestly, I was actually fairly impressed by them, and going by the YouTube comments, so were they.

Interestingly, all three were Martin-centric. I dunno if they were from the same episode or what.

The first was apparently a bit of speculative fantasy, where it reveals that he's actually a late-30s adult with a growth disorder, employed as an undercover cop 21 Jump Street-style. He has a wife and kids, and they milk the scene for all the drama it's worth.

The other bits were clearly from the same episode (looking it up, it's from S33 - "Boyz N the Highlands" - Martin, the bullies, and Bart are stranded together as the result of a nature walk), first with Martin and Bart stuck alone together in the wilderness. First, he vents about his strict upbringing that's isolated him and prevented him from becoming "cool", before viciously deconstructing Bart's own class clown/bad boy behaviour as parasitic attention-seeking. And then the later follow-up, probably the conclusion of the episode, showing him having grown a spine from the experience, as he flips out at his parents for controlling every aspect of his life, thereby gaining the respect of the bullies as they all share the car ride back home.

All three clips, IMO, were fantastic, with spectacular acting (of note, these episodes were post-Russi Taylor, with replacement Grey Griffin in the role of Martin, and she does an admirable sound-alike job) and some really spiced-up character animation, as a contrast to how sterile fans feel the show's looked following its upgrade to HD. They really highlighted to me that the show still has legs, IMO, when it gets to branch outside the main family dynamic. The Simpsons' personalities and pratfalls are dry and overplayed, but there's a lot of room to explore the secondary cast still.

In this vein, of whatever random smattering of "recent" seasons I've seen, "S24 - The Saga of Carl" and "S26 - Covercraft" were also good ones, IMO. In the former, the reveal of Carl's Icelandic heritage comes out left-field, but ties in well to his redundant name (Carl Carlson), and is simply a nice change of pace, featuring a character who's never really in the spotlight.

The latter is an Apu-centric episode, and really felt like good, classic Simpsons to me, nodding to both Apu and Homer's oft-featured musical aptitudes, and actually highlighting many of Homer's good traits once again, over his buffoonery, between supporting Lisa's musical talents, showcasing his loyalty to his friends. Also providing us with one of Homer's rare moments of genius and eloquence that used to sneak in from time-to-time ("Lisa! In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"):

That's another niche that The Simpsons still has carved out for itself, is that it handles moments of sentimentality with far more panache than its contemporaries. Seth McFarlane's shows are too cynical in tone. Bob's Burgers has a more "wholesome" appeal overall, but it's off-kilter enough that it gives everything somewhat of an oddball, esoteric slant.

Only The Simpsons can pull off moments like this:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  18. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I noticed there's been some higher opinions about pretty recent Simpsons episodes, and a couple I've seen over the past year weren't bad. Some fans think we got lucky and the newest generation of writers there are proving their mettle.

• Like Like x 2
  19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huh, I just learned that, as a follow-up to the above Moe clip, the girl actually came back and they actually got engaged/married last season. Good for them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I watched that one, it was pretty good, though I'm not sure there's been a follow-up since. Then again, I'm also a fan of the Comic Book Guy/Kimiko marriage, so maybe I have a soft spot for those stories. Probably the most curious revelation I heard from the last season or two is that Marge was pretty much a little shit when she was Bart's age, showing that side of him didn't just pop out of nowhere.