The "show off your Busou Shinkis" thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by LoC Soundwave, Jul 19, 2007.

?

Was getting a Busou Shinki as fun as you expected?

1. YES

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SORT OF

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. MEH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
  2. halconfenix

halconfenix Through the fire and the flames

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    still there:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SOURCE:

• Like Like x 4
  3. shizen22

shizen22 Subaru's drill punch

News Credits:
    I wonder how much actual interest there is in the first gen models? I always though it a very strange decision to start with the first gens because their designs are very dated at this point and I suspect it may be part of the reason for the huge delays (lack of interest). They should have either at least start with a latter gen design like the Mk2s or start fresh with the new designs. At this point, I wonder if we'll ever see anything at all.

4. halconfenix

halconfenix Through the fire and the flames

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):

My best bet is that Konami is aiming for nostalgia (which is convenient for me since i like the OGs more than the MKIIs) but since koto has been taking A LOT of time developing this i'm guessing things arent going smoothly between them and Konami...

i'm actually kinda surprised they are still trying to make it work in the first place!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    So, in an unexpected turn of events, I have just purchased a "like mint" Eukrante.

Been a loooooong time since I've gotten a new Shinki. And as I recall, Eukrante is one of the line's best.

6. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell Member of the Church of Quake.

I totally forgot about this line! I still have some of my Shinkis boxed up somewhere.

7. shizen22

News Credits:
    Congrats on your "new" Shinki! I think a big part of Eukrante's appeal is a combination of her relatively clean design and and choice of color palette. Especially compared to her wavemate Ianeria whose technical design is just as good but has a horribly bland color palette.

Same here. I really need to clean out my room.
    :tumbleweed: 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I would like an Ianera if only because I recall hearing that her mermaid tail was some seriously impressive engineering. And as for her appeal, I mean, it's pretty clear Ianera's got one very specific option piece meant to work with the whole 'seductress mermaid' theme (plus she's making up for the fact Eukrante is Type Siren but Eukrante isn't doing to be doing any seducing - hell, she's one of the few Shinkis painted to be wearing a full-on body suit with no skin showing below the neckline in any configuration).

9. shizen22

News Credits:
    Ianeria definitely has more robust options as far as her weapons and parts configurations go, IMO. If you don't mind her coloring, she's definitely one to go for if you ever get the chance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Indeed.

And yeah, Shinkis still command very high prices despite arguably being relatively outdated in engineering compared to Megami and other contemporary successors to the concept, with some flat out not being able to be found for sub-$100. I've got an Espadia on my watch list but Eukrante I managed to get a good price on first. I also would love to get an Arnval Mk. II since I have a Strarf Mk. II Lavina Full Package but damn all versions of that figure are so pricy even now.

Plus, I still have so many other lines I have yet to try. 30 Minutes Mission Sisters, Full Armor Girls, Megami Device, Gun Girl Lady...SO MANY.

11. shizen22

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, that's the fate of any out of production toy line; those in good condition will continue to fetch high prices. I'm especially flabbergasted at the fact that the Fencers continue to rival the full kits in after market price despite being a much smaller kit in comparison. orz

I feel you on that one. Too much stuff, just got to pick and choose. I have a few MD and *** but never have the time to touch them.

12. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    That's part of the reason I'm bummed to see the Megami adaptation of Busou Shinki originals Arnval and Strarf aren't getting much headway beyond prototypes. I'd love for them to revisit all the girls with upgraded modern engineering. ESPECIALLY the ones who didn't have their own boddies like Waffebunny.

Gotta love the Film Actors Guild jokes from Team America, eh?

13. shizen22

News Credits:
    I'm not holding my breath. I'd love for Koto to at least make a compatible body to put the weapon/armor on. I think that will at least satisfy the modder/FOC equivalent of the Shinki community.

:banghead: 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
  15. Pikachu_King

Pikachu_King Well-Known Member

16. shizen22

News Credits:
    Does look kinda sus but blisters have been known to open inside packages resulting in contents shifting around. You won't really know until you see it in person. Best thing you can do outside of that is ask for a closeup of the sealing tapes.

17. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    So, my Siren arrived today and given it's been so long since I've gotten a new Shinki, it was a very interesting experience. Right off the bat, I got a clue about this figure's history with its previous owner...which is to say there wasn't one. Despite the condition of the box looking a bit shelfworn, a slip of paper on top of the box showed that the person I bought Eukrante from had in fact bought her from another eBay user almost exactly eleven months prior. The seller mentioned having to get the Shinki out from storage so I postulate she never even left the shipping box, as the zip code for the other seller matches between the slip and the remnant of an older shipping label still on the package I got.

20210930_161245[1].jpg

Weirdly, only one of the sealing tape strips had been cut, meaning she'd never been removed from her own package, but the Battle Rondo scratch-off card was nowhere to be found. Given the game and diorama studio have long since been shut down, the card had no value. Her instructions were still present so I could assemble her armor. Granted, it's been a long time since I've seen anything out of Japan that wasn't dually written Japanese/English.

But moreover, there could be no dobut that Eukrante herself was brand. Fucking. NEW. Even almost 15 years after her creation (2007 was on the box), her pose was flush with the packaging!

20210930_161308[1].jpg
    Truly, a brand new Shinki frozen in time. Given I spent likely MSRP on her on eBay, this pleases me because she has no wear whatsoever.

Also, her stand parts are still sealed in their baggies!
    20210930_162202[1].jpg

I didn't check the stand's secret compartment for the screws as I have no intention of building her stand at this time. If for some reason I need one, I'll just borrow one from one of the other Shinki boxes since the stand arm is kind of a pain to store in the trays once assembled.

Anyway, time to see how she stacks up with some of my other girls.

20210930_161606[1].jpg

She's definitely...sharper in definition than the other girls, despite being MMS1st and each girl here was done by a different designer. Her hair also felt a little worryingly rubbery akin to Vitulus, so I might have to wash it clean of plasticizer in a few years. Very weird since Artille and Strarf Lavina came well after Eukrante and they don't have rubbery feeling hair. Actually, come to think of it, Vitulus was wave 6 while Eukrante was Wave 5, so Eukrante is actually the oldest of the four here. And probably the third oldest in the collection behind Howling and Mao, who definitely show being early designs, but also don't have rubbery hair.

20210930_165343[1].jpg
    Armored up, I can see why she was one of the line's best. Overall her wings are excellently designed, with each wing blade being able to independently rotate, allowing for some very dynamic poses if she was in the air. The arm armor is pretty good, the best use I've seen of using the MMS1st's bicep and wrist spacers (while Artille as MMS3rd has the wrist locks to keep the gun stable, she doesn't have shoulder armor as the MMS3rd type doesn't have bicep washers). The forearm claw shields are also very cool, and her lower body armor is well designed. Putting the leg armor on was a real pain in the ass, though, things didn't want to line up. It was like the bastard child design fusing the Striker Units from figma Strike Witches to the leg armor mount pegs on Howling and Mao Chao.

The biggest disappointment, however, is her gun. As pictured above, this basically is the only pose she can do with it, she can NOT point the damn thing straight due to the poorly designed stock, and the kicker is that it wasn't even meant to be this way. The box art betrays that the original stock was shorter and you can even still see it on the gun itself, but there's a stupid box extension that can not be removed, all for the purpose of her 'wave cannon' configuration. A very big disappointment since the gun does look cool with its double barrel design. However, her big swords are also cool and the gun can store on her rear skirting like a stabilizer of sorts so it can still be part of her armored form, unless down the road I can figure something more functional. Plus, I can just give her one of Vitulus's guns if firearms are required.

20210930_170737[1].jpg

If I ever get the space, I totally would display Eukrante armored up because really, that's how she was designed and it's a REALLY good design, even the gun before it got screwed up for a silly alt. form. But for now, she'll just hang in unarmored configuration with the other Shinkis, and with her addition to the crew that makes ten. Overall they've been surpassed by newer things but frankly their individual character still remains their strongest feature and it holds true today. As does their secondary market prices :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  18. shizen22

News Credits:
    Again, congrats on your "new" Shinki! LOL
    I don't recall mine having rubbery hair but I haven't touched her in ages so I should go check.
    :confused2 

• Like Like x 2
  19. goobahead1

goobahead1 chug enthusiast

Ebay:
    im thinking of starting to think of picking up busou shinkis again (i have arnval and strarf but they broke and lost pieces cause i was not gentle enough with them when i got them at 16.)

i found an ebay seller from singapore that has quite a large number of busou shinkis for what seems to be good prices but im not sure. they also have good feedback. they have most of their shinis listed for about 80$ but some higher. and the armor sets at 59.99

do you guys think this sounds worth it?

20. shizen22

News Credits:
    Armor sets without the body at $60 are not worth it IMO especially since spare bodies are hard to find. You'll have to sacrifice one of the full sets for that which usually isn't worth it. (at least until Koto wakes up and starts making compatible spare bodies)
    Whether $80 for a full set is worth it really depends on the set. Obviously a later set in general will be more worth it than an earlier set but YMMV. Shinki's aren't likely to get any cheaper anytime soon. If you can find a Mk2 or later for $80, I'd say it's definitely worth it.

• Like Like x 1