The Scale Issue

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by koonfasa, Apr 7, 2015.

1. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

(hey mods, I wanted to change the title to "The Scale Issue" or something rather than create a new thread, but it won't let me)
    Let's talk about scale.:) 

Anything and everything you want about scale. It's an interesting topic and sometimes decides whether we buy a toy or not.

I don't know about you guys, but I like getting toys from different lines and sticking them together. Sometimes it takes forever trying to find the right matching pics (as no one usually puts mismatched figures together - except maybe Shartimus). There just seems to be a lot of scales between 1/6 & 1/12 being used now and I'm always using scale to decide if I want it.

Only thing I found was this.

[​IMG]
    What scale is lego anyway?

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Lego, like Transformers, has fucked up scale. They have giant Star Destroyers only a few inches bigger than a Batmobile.

• Like Like x 2
  3. koonfasa

I been thinking, fucked up scale can be a gorgeous scale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Question:
    How does a Macross fighter scale with Jetfire?

4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yamato Valks are in the 1\60 scale here. I dunno about Leader Jetfire but they scale well with Bandai's Perfect Grade Gundam kits which are also scaled at 1ยข60.

5. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

Lego is an oddly compressed 1/48-1/45 scale, based on the height of the minifigs. What throws this off is they are not proportioned to people for width. But Lego is technically pretty close to Model Railroading O scale. The models themselves are compressed or extended in weird ways to both reduce the size and accommodate the minifigs while maintaining the minimum thickness required by the bricks.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not really concerned about the scale of Lego...especially when it comes to the vehicles...as long as the vehicles or sets are big enough for the mini figures to fit inside.

Scale only bugs me when it comes to action figures such as Marvel Legends, DCUC, Star Wars etc. I'm a fan of the 6 inch or 1/12 scale. If a figure is slightly larger 7 inch...I'll try to fudge it into my collection, provided I can justify it. For example, DC's Bane.

For TFs...its a mess but I use CHUG Optimus as a guide...how the other characters scale in comparison to him. Example, minibots smaller than him and the supposingly larger bots bigger than him.

7. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate how one companies 1/8 is different from another companies 1/8 of the same character. Its really annoying when they don't even label the scale correctly as well. For example, Kotobukiya's Tekken and Street Fighter Bishoujos. They label them as 1/7, but really, only the SF girls are 1/7 while the Tekken girls are 1/8. Can't really pull off a perfectly scaled SFxT display.

8. koonfasa

Lol, I still think about this.
    [​IMG]
    I can't remember what pics I originally had up there...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Drangleic

Drangleic Hell devours the indolent

What Prime is that?

10. koonfasa

Fewture, but shoot where did Vader go?
    [​IMG]

11. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Some people are obsessed with scale. Everything has to be in scale with everything else. I on the other hand don't give two shits about it. Size doesn't matter. :lol 

12. Drangleic

Damn. Almost a grand for that figure. It's beautiful though.

:jawdropper: 

13. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I love GoBots and scale never really bothered me outside of wishing they'd made Zeemon and friends at the same size as everybody else long before I'd ever heard of Machine Robo.

You can see that whenever I post in Classics speculation threads. I'm the one asking why we can't have more deluxe Minibots because Classics started as mostly a deluxe line. I don't care how much bigger a Range Rover is than a VW Beetle or a Porsche 924. Brawn and friends should fit with Bumblebee and Cliffjumper.

14. koonfasa

I preordered pretty early something like $600. And it took a couple years. I'm surprised how fast the price scaled up.

Anyway, back to scale matters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. djmajin

djmajin Masterpiece Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I try to keep all my figs in close scale minus MP Transformers, GI JOE and Godzilla Stuff

Everything else I try to keep as close to 1/12 scale

This is my fave picture I've taken
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. Drangleic

Certain figures I like to fit together. But pretty much figures somewhere in the ball park of 5"-8" I gravitate towards. They're just more fun.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  17. koonfasa

Yeah that elephant is quite spectacular.
    And I found my Schleich racKoon!
    [​IMG]

I was having a look at Schleich and they've grown along with many other toy lines, like Lego has. Had a moment I thought I'd love a star fleet (I actually mean pod, but have always wanted some rag-tag convoy of sorts) of whales, but I noticed they were not to scale with one another...

It's not just 1/6, but also 1/12 where we're getting into props and scale dioramas or backdrops.

So what scale are the Figuarts Pokemon?

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know what grinds my gears about scale....

When online stores or even packages just put the scale on the box of something. Now that might be fine with human toy. We can assume the baseline is a 6' person for 1/6 scale figure. Fine and dandy. However, it becomes a real problem when dealing with vehicles, ESPECIALLY huge sci-fi ships. For example, a Battlestar Galactica model at 1:3200 scale (just an example, not looking up if there is one at that size). What the fuck does that mean???? Is the model 3" long, a foot long, or 3 feet long, 2 Ping-Pong tables long? I have no idea how long the ship is supposed to be. I might be a geek (clearly if I'm looking at a BSG model) but knowing the length of it off the top of my head is Sheldon Cooper level of nerdiness. Even watching the series I have no idea how big it is. Pretty damn big. Toy makers: Put real world dimensions into the info!!! Tell me it is a 12" long. I'd even settle for the damn metric system of 30 cm. Scale might be good to buy other products to match but is meaningless to a normal person.