The sad truth haunting me about most 3rd party figures.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Neo Tallgeese, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Neo Tallgeese

Neo Tallgeese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What is the fact...If they were sold in stores at comprale retail price, I'd have probably everything that has come out from Fans Project, Make Toy, Mastermind, TFC, and a few others. As it is, I'm only able to pick up 1 or 2 a year (if that). It's such a kick in the gut to see such potential awesomeness, online, and realizing that if it had been produced by regular companies, I'd pay probably a fraction of the asking price. Thanks for letting me share. :thumb 

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i decided i'd rather have one deluxe sized quality 3rd party figure than five undersized unpainted retail figures, after that, i can get around one or two a month outside my g1 collecting

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

What's your budget and what do you normally collect?

4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Just change your collecting habit to make sure you are buying what you like, whatever that may be.

Anything else is illogical.

5. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    @Neo Tallgeese: Your tag shows that you've been with TFW2005 since 2004... Why ask that now? There will always be 3rd or 4th parties, because not everybody will be satisfied. Others will just customize their stuff. Heck, even the regular releases, in some cases, are hard to find...

6. Neo Tallgeese

Neo Tallgeese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been collecting since I was a kid. It's possible my post wasn't worded correctly. I was just saying that I was very impressed with the product that many of the 3rd parties have been putting out (especially in recent years). I was making a point that if many of these toys were on the shelves I'd buy them up quickly (ie the Casualty "Not Insecticons" sold at something like $10 to $15 dollars which is the going rate for figures of that size). I thought it was just one of things I'd share to see if anyone else had ever felt that way. I still enjoy much of what is put out. Take the recent FOC figures. Yes, they're smaller, less detailed, and more expensive than their WFC cousins, but I like them. I have Prime, Shockwave, and Jazz. No problems with them. I went so far as to paint Jazz myself.

Please forgive my longwindness. All in all, I'm just saying, that it would be very interesting to see if figures like Make Toy's Giant, or Fan Project Steel Core, etc, come out on shelves in stores such as Toys R Us and Walmart. I know they won't, and that doesn't stop me from enjoying what does come out, but I still think it'd be cool either way.

BTW, I only try to buy figures which I really like. I don't necessarily buy indiscriminantly. Growing up in the G1 era, I"m just poining out how great it would be to see characters I like as "regular toys". Hope that clears things up.

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I can see TFC getting some kind of mass release on their stuff eventually even if it is only via Comic shops or selected retailers - but more like say Dragon toys than they are at the moment.

8. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    That's the deal with 3P figures. They cost more because they are designed more for the collectors. Takara/Hasbro won't be bothered enough to sell these types of design for $15 - mass market. Even the MP series aren't as detailed as what these 3P companies are doing. Of course, who wouldn't want to get them cheap. I'm for it... ;) 

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

How so?

10. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

The sad truth is is that none of these toys would be of the quality they are if they were available at standard retail. Designs and the materials used for specific parts would have to be changed to abide to safety laws and regulations. You're paying for a premium.

11. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Thanks for stating that.. Yes, the laws that govern the land will have to be fulfilled. :thumbs2: 

12. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Just curious what you mean about MP figures not being as detailed as 3P figures. I like my 3rd party figures as much as the next guy, but every single MP I own is more polished design-wise than my 3P items (which are, admittedly, rapidly gaining ground in this respect).

13. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    The paint apps and materials used would not be the same had these been mass produced and slotted into specific price points.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Not necessarily.

We're just talking about the toys being available at retail, not being produced by Hasbro.

15. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i thought you were going to say something truly sad, like a commentary on factory work conditions in China. i guess not being able to afford expensive collector items is kinda sad. kinda.

16. Compewtrawn

Compewtrawn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The good news is that you are paying for a premium PRODUCT, rather than a premium name. Unlike cars.

17. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    i would have to disagree with you on that. Not all 3rd party products are created equally. I have the Igear (?) huffer and I feel as if I am going to break it. Plastic feels fragile.

18. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    This is frankly true of anything really. The deeper you go into anything, the smaller the fanbase, and thus production runs must be smaller resulting in a higher price per piece.

Would it be awesome to go buy Hercules at a TRU for $30-$40 a pop? Hell yeah, but it's not how it happened, and you can't control it.

The solution is to cut back on other things. Who needs food, shelter, gas, school, etc, when there are toys to buy!

19. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

Amen to that :p 

20. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

These cost more in large part because less are made. There's going to be a considerable difference when 5000 are produced as opposed to 50,000. Just like BotCon or TFCC exclusive figs. The molds are already made for those figs even, but since they're made in such limited quantities, they cost nearly the same as 3rd Party figures.