The Robotech Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by DeathFrogurt, Jan 16, 2006.

1. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Likes the G2 neon lights

@Tasuke ive got the little Max and Miriya figures too and they’re pretty fun! Though for the asking price I’d have liked to see a little more articulation. I seem to recall the original figures they were showing off had a more advanced design but I guess they switched for some reason.

Saw this pointed out on MW and wanted to post here for those who hadn’t seen. seems an updated prototype of the KC VF-1J was spotted with additional hip joint and a change to the shoulders. I wonder if they’ve got some improvements in store for their second Veritech?

(note I don’t know where the picture is from, can’t find a source, but I think the circling was done by mw forum member nightmareb4macross, who posted about it there).

anyone seen anything about this? I already liked their 1S quite a bit so if they’re making improvements as they go I think that’s a really good sign.

upload_2019-12-7_10-32-32.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Well-Known Member

How did your Battle Pod turn out? I received mine and it was totally F'd. Broken antennas and missing all detachable parts, instructions, and sticker sheet. :mad 

3. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I was amazed that these were not repros, but actual vintage 80s figures. I wish that I'd have bought more! :eek: 

One had a bent antenna, but that's hopefully fixed with hot water and patience.
    The other seems fine.

I wonder where these sat for so long. The boxes have what appear to be a sparse light fuzzy white mold growth that died decades ago. The figure itself as has a light mold coating. Glues aged in the packaging, with residue on the figures, and the glue color flecks seeped into the gray legs (so cannot be cleaned). Stickers sheets are intact, but the aged stickers probably won't adhere well. The plastic figure itself will probably resist stickers, a common issue with plastic from the Robotech line (something to do with the type of plastic, very resin-like with rough/non-slick finish). The figure whites don't seem yellowed, which is good, but may not last. The paper instruction sheet has yellowing and brittling to it.

I have a battlepod that I bought used 20+ years ago, so now have 3 for some great scenes with my 1/55s. The old pod has a broken tab on the gun turret, the one that holds in in place. I've been hunting for a replacement or repro for years, to no avail. I got close several years ago, bought a repro from eBay, but the guy refunded weeks later instead of shipping. I keep asking folks with 3D printers, but nobody seems to have time (TF collectors are way too TF-centric at times, don't escape the TF bubble). I can't be alone in this hunt, as it's a common part that broke, you'd often see incomplete battlepods on eBay in years past.

• Like Like x 2
  4. FireSkyJet

That's awesome! I have an Exo Squad version from the 90's (after doing some research, the HG ones are also from the 90's since the ones from the 80's are actually Matchbox/Bandai). I was really excited about this version because they're a bit different than the Exo Squad and even different from the Matchbox. Sooooo bummed about mine arriving with missing parts, etc. Robotech.com doesn't have any left to exchange for me so they're just refunding.

5. lordsmurf

Twitter:
    Personally, I'd keep it, and repair/repro. Seek a partial refund if possible.

If it were mine, I'd just make it more battle damaged for scenes. Which is still an idea for my 3rd pod, if no repro can be located, no 3D print made.

I got my 3rd (actually, 1st) Battlepod pre-Exosquad, and it was an 80s Matchbox. I think loose, too, but the box may be in the attic, don't remember. The legs on it are not gray, and are a light blue color. Same aging defects as these new MIB units, but with slightly more yellowing.

I'm wanting to make a series of stop-motion Robotech/Macross shorts, and this pair of new pods will go a long way to helping that happen. I have one storyboarded (Valkyries only in that one), technical specs done (fps, res, etc), some simple backgrounds done, few test shots done. Lighting is my PITA, have never gotten it as good as my last location. When that's figured out, I'll be posting those. Next year, sometime, I hope.

• Like Like x 2
  6. FireSkyJet

Among other things, at least this Monster turned out sweet from their vintage collection. I think it looks pretty good with the Bandai HMR line.

Btw, @lordsmurf would you happen to be able to get a scan of your Battlepod sticker sheet? It would be cool for me to get repros done using it. :D 

551244B0-BA10-4ABE-BD10-497C1E96F85E.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. FireSkyJet

Ya know what kills me is that I just saw a new posting for the HG Battle Pod on eBay today. Same box as mine and sealed. Likely from Robotech.com as well and they are trying to sell for $218 when it went for $60.

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    They also had a 3 pack of VHS tapes for $200 I think last week lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. deruberhanyok

I saw that listing! I thought, well, this is pretty typical of HG, trying to sell rotting VHS tapes and pass them off as collectibles.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FireSkyJet

Nice little find at GameStop on clearance.

AFDEAB72-B7E8-43EA-A3CA-7057271B5C2D.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  11. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Mikuru Asahina♥

the first two of the three probably being pretty much the same as the 1986 copies i found for next-to-nothing at a couple of thrift stores,
    the first, over 20 years ago, the second, about a decade-odd back;

[​IMG]

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got a couple of those tapes. But mine is the version that has the larger cardboard box case.

13. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    tempted to get the Invid Shock Trooper but I swear I have the Exo-Squad version packed away somewhere...

• Like Like x 2
  14. lordsmurf

Twitter:
    If I recall correctly, the Invid stuff from Matchbox was superior to the Exosquad. That somewhat flipped for the Zentraedi stuff.

But, as a warning, the stuff currently on Robotech.com is in fair shape at best. After looking more closely, both of my figures are covered in light fuzzy mold spores. I've set them in the garage, and may set them under a lamp that nukes mold before cleaning (FYI, also what's done when properly cleaning mold off VHS tapes). I don't want that $hit anywhere near my other figures, or even in the house. Mold can be toxic, spores are dangerous, and it spreads incredibly easy to other surfaces.

I passed on this figure back in May (they had 10+), but changed my mind a few weeks later. So I went back. And all were gone. :( 

15. FireSkyJet

Yeah man, I'm pretty sure this was a return that I happened to catch at the right time. I was looking for these at GS over the summer with no luck (using their website to check stock). Like you said, they went pretty quickly.

16. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    20191218_184034.jpg

that new rick hunter figure fits nicely in the old exo squad veritech...the removable hairpiece is crazy but it works so good...

• Like Like x 4
  17. deruberhanyok

Hover tank! Wooooo! @bearytrek

really would love to see a new one of those.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FireSkyJet

Speaking of... This Matchbox one on Mercari seems in great shape. Too good not to share! https://merc.li/QvgsCSJhb

19. Kayman26

Kayman26 Well-Known Member

Holy hell are we overdue for a modern day MP Veritech Hover Tank.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Yeah, there was that one company that was going to do one recently but it was pretty bad looking and they also fell through on other projects they were working on or something like that. Either way, I would have passed on that version. If anyone makes one that looks good, I'm in.