The Robotech Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by DeathFrogurt, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Being officially licensed I’m assuming Maas will make Robotech their #1 priority.

• Like Like x 2
  2. bigsteve03

bigsteve03 Well-Known Member

So Harmony Gold is probably losing their macross license in 2021. I assume this is one last ditch for them to milk that poor cow to death. It also means this one be some huge line, with only a few toys getting produced before the license expired.

3. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They talked about the Tetras in the video too. I just didn't mention it in this thread. This was about the Robotech news.

4. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

Well...if movie ever hits they may renew. And if it is successful and becomes a series I am sure they will put the cow on life support or cryofreeze and make ice cream :) 

5. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I'm very glad this is happening, but what does it have to do with TFs, 3rd party or otherwise?

6. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe we can get someone to make a white Super VF-1S Veritech with red highlights! Hehehe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Maas is a 3rd party company that makes Transformers and Robotech is historically linked to Transformers via Jetfire.

8. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Plus GoBots via Cy-Kill and Leader-1 Monogram model kits being a Cyclone and Alpha recolor.

ee7f455b9b5224a3b48b42add0e7a1c5.jpg

Also the GoBots Roguns via the licensed cap and squirt guns and binoculars from Arco. They were recolored and released as Robotech guns.

download (14).jpeg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  9. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    If they're not too expensive, maybe Roy's VF-1S, Hikaru's VF-1J, and Max's VF-1A. Wouldn't really want to go nuts with every VF-1 variant that's ever appeared on screen.

Beyond that, though... well, the Macross saga was the only part of Robotech I cared for, even as a kid, and as an adult I've strongly come to prefer the original version and its sequels. So unless they want to wait and see how things with HG play out and then either try to get a license from Bandai/Big West or try their hand at unlicensed 3P Macross toys that's it for me.

10. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I won't argue that you are wrong. Those would probably sell. It's just someone gets the access to the whole Robotech universe of mecha and makes.... another Skull Veritech. That's like announcing someone got the entire Transformers license to make what they want, and they decide on making another G1 Optimus Prime... I'd be so sad.

Then again this is the company who started with Bumblebee and Starscream.

• Like Like x 2
  11. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Harmony Gold isn’t losing the rights because they don’t want to renew, they are losing the rights because the rightful owner is taking it back.

That being said, I’m not sure if they are losing the rights entirely or simply the exclusivity that they have claimed they have and ruled with an iron cease and defist.

12. Chareos

Chareos needs new Omnibots

News Credits:
    Whoa! Those are sweet! :drool: 

That would -never- happen

13. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    While I love the idea, I do hope he does his due diligence first. Harmony Gold seems shady and litigious as hell in recent years. They are blight in the Mechwarrior/Battletech franchise.

14. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Harmony Gold does license toys under the Robotech license.

KC-100305-01.jpg

15. Skrunklemin

Skrunklemin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is exciting! I wouldn't be surprised to see something more "inspired by" than "accurate to" and I'd be cool with that. Bandai's got us covered as far as a new high-end, accurate VF-1.

MAAS's whole philosophy seems to be super playable figures, which is awesome. Really looking forward to seeing what they choose to pull from the Robotech universe.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  16. mista2x

mista2x Well-Known Member

Maybe Mods can move it to the Toyark?

17. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    That is no guarantee. See the mess they are in regarding some of the Japanese Macross designs that was used by Battletech. Harmony Gold went as far as to sue two Mechwarrior computer games in recent years... only to be revealed in the courts that the Japanese company that had granted Harmony Gold the license to use their toy designs never had the rights in the first place.

It's been awhile since I followed up (I believe Harmony Gold's suit was dismissed), but there are plenty of videos about it by Youtuber lawyers.

18. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is actually pretty interesting. I love Robotech. So, if it looks great, and the quality is there I may be interested.

19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    They have the rights outside of Japan to make products like toys, models and statues based on SDF Macross designs but cannot use any of the designs for future movies/cartoons. 2021 is when all the rights revert back to Big West(who Macross belongs to in Japan). This is why Harmony Gold is trying to push out a live action Robotech movie within the next 3 years.

I have faith in MAAS Toys. I think they will be filling a notable gap if they make the Hovertank from Southern Cross and Ajax. Love to see them make an Alpha and Beta fighter.

Since they're behind Mayhem Mechaniks, maybe Ride Armors from Mospeada aren't out of the realm of possibility.

@Spence any thoughts/hints/info on Maas Toys' Robotech endeavors?

20. Spence

Spence Well-Known Member

As mentioned in the interview, there is not so much that I can reveal at this time but you can be assured we will do everything we can and be as public as we can, as with all our projects, so that everyone will be able to follow along on what we are doing.

Fun is part of what we are all about so you can be assured that will also be factored into what we are doing.

• Like Like x 2