The Rant About Work/School/Life Thread [NO POLITICS]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thelbert, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    No problem dude! Glad you found them helpful. I wish you success!

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Farkin' stupid bank. I misentered my password tomany times and it locked online access. So i had to wait till the customer service opened this morning. Answered the security info and they said they would call back my cell phone with the new password. Half an hour ago and nothing. Try calling back, rings once then busy signal. Why can't it be automated to my email like every other f'ing online thing on the planet?

3. TFan2013

TFan2013 Energon Seeker

I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but that doesn't mean ya gotta snap at me for not acting immediately. Some people naturally freeze and analyze a dangerous situation before moving into action... which I know is BAD in immediate attention situations but still...

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Crazy like the Fox

Too many of them to the point of oversaturation. Anybody with a webcam, mic (built-in or external peripheral), and basic video editing software can do it.

But to be more than the usual crop of bland, uninteresting "explain what is visible on the screen" stuff, the review needs to have work put into it to be interesting - hell, the reviewer themselves needs to actually sound interested before anything else, since nobody wants to listen to a monotone charlie brown-esque adult drone noise for a couple of minutes.

It also requires more than just putting up one video or two in the hopes of jumping on the bandwagon - personally, I loathe top ten videos since they're almost like having somebody read you wikipedia entries more often than not, so why they're so popular is beyond me - as even garnering a small, regular audience is not garunteed, nor is a real return of investment from all the work, personal or otherwise. You actually have to love doing that kind of thing to sustain it long enough for it to be more than shouting at a wall - PewDiePie, for instance, said he had to work two years at a hot dog stand he hated to keep funding his videos before he even could break even from them.

I say that because, well, I can't say Starscream91's work ethic is exactly encouraging for that kind of thing if mere google searches don't immediately return the desired answers.

What I would recommend is that, instead of just splurging on video equipment that ultimately may be wasteful expenditures, set up a blog or something instead for reviews and whatnot. Similar work load of compiling content and organization, without needing more than a simple camera. If it proves to be something which is appealing, then maybe consider moving on to video stuff.

But trying to dive right into a well-populated genere while at the same time just refusing to continue on at the slightest sign of difficulty or having to work out solutions without fully detailed guides doesn't sound like somebody who is actually going to enjoy that kind of thing.

There's taking a moment to try and grasp the situation...and then there's deer in headlights, which your use of the term "freeze" suggests is what you tend to do.

What you need to understand is that in a situation, you do not have time to just stand around to take stock of what's going on in full and figure out the best plan of action, because then you're just wasting time by not being helpful.

5. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like this. It's a positive message that doesn't amount to ' do it the way I want or you're wrong'.

To the poster talking about giving up: Just keep at it! You'll find your niche. Hell, if nothing else, use your cellphone to make a video, or a webcam. Make funny flashcards to use as segways (How did my autocorrect turn segue into the fucking motorized scooter thing?)/interludes in the review. Anything is better than giving up.

Don't try to be like the rest of the people on youtube and various other social media sites. They really all sound the same anyway,

I've failed in life a lot. I've also learned from my failures. To some, that might make me a loser, to me, it makes me a person that fights through hardships to find something I truly enjoy. I wouldn't trade places with anyone. I like what I do, and I have some good life lessons that I carry with me.

Why is everyone using em dashes all of a sudden? Is a period no longer sufficient enough to indicate a break in thought for informal writing? Not everything needs to read like it's coming out of a instruction manuel.

6. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I'm sick and tired of my coworker always calling in sick. My boss said to everyone she needs everyone present this week since 2 people are away. But she calls and says she won't be in for 2 days this week and also said she won't be in all of next week. The cause of this is because she eats out everyday. My other coworker said that she is very picky and every night when her mom makes her dinner, she said she's not hungry and then she hops into her car and eats out.

7. TFan2013

TFan2013 Energon Seeker

But situations aren't that simple!
    For example!
    Let's say an elderly woman trip on the edge of a rug and careens hard enough on the floor that she breaks her head open and is bleeding profusely.
    In that moment as a worker you have to take into account all these variables:
    -she could bleed out to death if the flow is not stopped quick enough, right?
    -where is the medical kit? Should you grab it or hail down a manager first?
    -should first aide even be attempted if their are no gloves to protect you from potentially infectious blood spill?
    - when do you call 911? Should you or is the bleeding just looking bad because its a head wound. Would the lady get mad if you called and she didn't want it?
    -oh no! there's a kid approaching! Should I grab the hazardess floor sign before anything?!

All these things would flood through your head, and its like: what to do first? where to go? So you freeze in those scenarios trying to compute it all.

8. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Alright so I have a plan in motion to start the channel I want and I have decided I want to do Vlogs as one of the videos I will make. I realized that it is a way to talk to the viewer and I don't have to do everyday but I would do a Vlog when something comes up during my day that I feel I want to talk about in the Vlog.
    Now I also feel like I want to do a main thing on the channel about something I love which narrows down to Transformers, Anime, Marvel, & or Pokemon. I want to do Transformers only cause I love to talk Transformers and know A LOT of information and characters. What would people recommend the kind of videos I do on the channel related to one or more of these four things?

9. The Kup

The Kup Heavy Metal

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Someone didn't listen to me about NOT opening the windows to let in air. There was a wasp in between the screen and the window and now I don't where it is!

10. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    I swear my luck is the worst. First off I'm sick but had to clean and Vaccum which took about a hour now when I can play madden the freaking Internet dosent work! This is why I like to play my video games first cause this shit happens!

11. Autobot Burnout

Assuming you aren't inexplicably the only other person in the store, the first thing to do is immediately have somebody call 911 while you or somebody else finds some kind of cloth to wrap around the wound while applying pressure. If it isn't a minor injury to the point it has pieced the skull, then literally nothing you can do is going to directly ensure that person's survival if you do not make sure somebody is calling the paramedics.

Mistake number 1: not knowing where the first aid kit is to the point of leaving the injured unattended while trying to find a first aid kit. OSHA regulations require that "The first aid supplies should be located in an easily accessible area, and the first aid provider generally should not have to travel through several doorways, hallways and/or stairways to access first aid supplies." Additionally, first aid training should have been part of employee orientation or at least one certified first aid giver needs to be on the premises at all times.

Mistake number 2: Actually thinking the gloves are to protect you from some blood infection. No, the gloves - which are always to be the first thing in a first aid kit - are to protect the open wounds of the victim from being infected by stuff on your hands like bacteria.

Mistake Number 3: Thinking that a head injury does not immediately warrant calling 911 fucking regardless of the actual severity due to what you say is extreme bleeding. Even if the bleeding isn't ultimately as bad as it looks, it's still an elderly person having their head slam down onto a hard surface - we're talking potential trauma and other stuff that if not treated as soon as possible will prove severely harmful in the long run.

Mistake Number 4: You do not at any point ask the lady if she needs help regardless of your choice. If the injured party is conscious, always ask if they need assistance first - granted this should actually come before even dialing 911 but given you already set the scene as an old lady having excessive blood coming out of her head, which I'm certain is never going to be a situation where emergency response is not necessary for the bleeding, possible trauma, or otherwise.

If the injured party is unconscious or is fading in and out of consciousness - which is bad if they're bleeding from a head wound - then consent is assumed and you immediately have somebody call 911 while you or somebody else grab the first aid kit.

Mistake Number 5 - What the hell man, so far there's a woman bleeding on the floor after a hard head impact, who you don't even know is still conscious or not...and one of your chief concerns is running off to grab a goddamn 'wet floor sign' so a kid doesn't get involved, leaving a possibly dying woman without assistance of any kind?

You should not be concerned about the kid unless they are actively getting in the way of treating this woman. Hell, send him of to find others to call 911 or get the first aid kit - but priority should always be keeping that woman from falling into unconsciousness and treating the wound. You actually would most likely stand to be held irresponsible if you got that sign over assisting that woman all because there was blood on the floor.

No, no you don't. You are literally saying right here that there is a woman bleeding from her head and all you can do is stand there, thinking if you should go get first aid, not once even asking if she herself needs help or not (the biggest one of all), and worrying more about putting up signs to keep a kid away from the scene when at no point should that woman be left unattended by a staff member until medical services arrive, meaning said staff member can just tell people to go away from an obvious medical situation.

This is why first aid training exists. So you aren't standing there, letting people bleed to death, trying to "compute" things that somehow mean not assisting an injured party because you're worried about a completely irrelevant sign.

And just for clarification, while I am in need to getting my certification renewed, I was First Aid Certified a few years ago as part of my training as a camp councilor. And before that, I was a Boy Scout where proper First Aid protocol virtually was a requirement just to wear the uniform.

I'd recommend concentrating more on your studies since you were still struggling with them not too long ago, instead of focusing almost exclusively on this youtube vlog thing. Have you talked with your parents about your college troubles yet, at least?

How do you know the internet wasn't down an hour earlier?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  12. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Because I was on for about 5 minutes before it went down. The router had to reboot itself and it took 30 minutes.

13. Autobot Burnout

That doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't have done exactly that an hour prior

14. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    If you mean the wireless router, that doesn't mean the internet was down. You could have tried plugging your device directly to the modem. If the internet works then, it was your router. Not the internet.

15. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In an ideal situation. I know I'd consider whether or not I'd touch someone's blood without the proper hand coverings. There are a lot of pesky pathogens that can be spread through even the slightest nick in the skin

Hell, I'm OSHA certified (20 hours) and I'd still have a hard time touching someone bleeding profusely from the head.

That's true. The gloves still protect the care provider from risk from infection as well.

Again, some people freeze up for a moment or two in events like this. I think it's admirable that you have such a handle on these things. We can't expect this very admirable response from everyone.

The truth is, people freeze, it happens. I once had a compound fracture on my left arm. After I stood up and looked at a bone poking through my forearm, I stood for a moment, dazed by what had just happened, and was SHOCKED by the fact that my arm didn't really hurt. After a few more seconds I calmly walked home and called the EMT.

We're all different. It's not a mistake to not act in the way others think we should. It's kind of silly(Not trying to troll you) to expect others to respond to situations in the same way we would.

16. Autobot Burnout

I wasn't saying that the gloves provided protection only for one way, it was just the way he worded it - "to protect you from potentially infectious blood spill" - made it sound like the only person being considered in that equation was his own personal safety instead of both his and the injured.

Additionally, from that point on in my post, I replied based on the assumption a first aid kit - as required by law - was already present and in use, since not having gloves otherwise (much less a first aid kit at all) would automatically raise questions about how that store passed its last safety inspection.

I understand that there is some hesitation to be had in trying to process what just happened - but you just can't afford to keep standing around and trying to process every little thing after getting over the initial shock.

I mean, if nothing else, if somebody is bleeding profusely from the head such that it's obvious the injury is serious, then debating calling 911 is out of the question - even if they aren't necessary in the end, you don't need somebody's permission to call 911 if you seriously think they're in a life threatening position, even if ultimately the injured party refuses your help. Emergency responders have to ask to help the injured as well, but they would have far more leeway and experience to make a call on whether or not somebody needs to be taken to the ER regardless of wanting medical assistance or not, in the event they are not cognizant of the severity of their own injuries.

Never seen that, actually.

17. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    yeah, never judge how others react in traumatic situations.

Nobody has any way of knowing how they'd react to the situation another person was in until they've gone through it themselves.
    "Common sense" can fly right out the window when your body gets flooded with stress hormones, the fight, flight, or freeze responses kick in, and you go into shock.

I mean, ideally, we'd all be able to think just as well and consider the above post, but irl that just doesn't always happen.

18. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    All I'm going to say is I'm thinking of dropping out, I'm getting nowhere by attending college. And my parents know now to, someone told them but I don't know who.

19. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

well, I took off the 31st of July of this year, partly so I can recharge my batteries, partly because it would be the 1 Year Anniversary of my Mother passing away…...

20. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would not drop out, instead I would lighten the load with less courses.

However, you would know best, in your current situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.