The Rant About Work/School/Life Thread [NO POLITICS]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thelbert, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    I think I've finally figured out what I would like to do for a living, or what I'm best at...
    I'm just not sure if thats what makes me happy.

EDIT: No, I'm just not happy. I hurt.

2. L0ckdown

L0ckdown Member

One thing I gotta say, I'm tired of women saying that workplaces are discriminating towards them. When you have a setting that's run by women and bring in the one or two guys for grounds and main, they get shit on all the time.

3. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma: Five weeks ago I started a part-time job as a cleaner in an office complex, but I didn't know until after the first interview that it was only relief work to cover people who were off (I never saw an actual advertisement for the job, it was recommended to me). I only got the interview and the job because the manager of the cleaning company is my sister's friend's mother. I was told I would get paid every two weeks, but five weeks after I initially started I still haven't received any pay for the work I've done. I've tried to contact my manager about this, she said she'll contact her higher-ups to see what's happening with my pay, but nothing's happened as of yet. I'd really like to check my original application form to see if I've made a mistake filling in my bank details, I don't think I have, but it's the only reason I can think of as to why this is happening.
    Since starting I've done 18 hours of work in total, but for the last two and a half weeks I haven't been needed, and due to the nature of the job I have absolutely no idea as to when I'm to go back in again, not to mention I didn't particularly enjoy the work when I was in, so is this job really worth carrying on with? I already have another part-time job doing retail merchandising in supermarkets, which has more regular and consistent hours but the pay isn't as good, so it's not like I'd have nothing to fall back on. But both my mother and sister say I should definitely continue with this cleaning job and they both raged when I said I was thinking about quitting. They also think I shouldn't contact the cleaning manager again about the pay, I should just wait until she contacts me.

4. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats crap. 5 weeks without pay is bull. Isnt there a human resources manager to contact?

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Start calling your manager and telling her every day that the situation hasn't been resolved. If she gets annoyed, ask her who you can call instead, which would save her effort.

Tell her you're very sorry, but money is tight and you aren't in a position where you can afford to work for several weeks without being paid for it. Worst case scenario, you get fired, in which case you're exactly where you're at now, only with more time to look for a better job.

6. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    I completely agree, but the extremely irritating thing is when I talked to my family about the situation my sister absolutely freaked out and ranted at me for six whole minutes about how ungrateful I was being. It's mostly because of her and her friend that I got this job at all, so she took my concerns as a personal attack. In her eyes she's done me the favour of the century, so if I do quit the job I doubt she'd ever forgive me for it, and seeing as neither her nor my mother trust me to make good decisions without them anyway, things will probably be really bad between me and them for a long time.

7. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

To which you should ask "Great, you can pay my bills until they actually give me money!"

8. Remington

Remington Banned

I have a couple of tickets to see Austin Mahone in Echo Beach, Toronto this August, but I need to find a more reliable vehicle to get there.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Been raining like crazy lately, my basement has flooded. Not severly, but it's where all of my collection is. Luckily we have disgusting 70's blue carpet that soaked up all the water the first time. Unluckily, we tore the wet spot up and now that it's flooded again, it travelled farther into the basement with no carpet to soak it up. We have somebody coming in for a quote on Friday, but I'm really worried because it's coming in through the floor and that means it's travelling behind teh wall, so I'm kind of freaked out what may be back there. So we threw an old sheet and shit to soak it up if it rains again. Also unluckily, it's not covered. "Acts of God" and all that. Too bad it wasn't a burst pipe or a septic leak. But we needed an excuse to redo the basement. We also needed the money to redo the basement, but that's just details at this point. :) 

Sadly because we're only a two-floor house, half the house is basically off-limits. My half. :(  So, not happy, but hey it could be way, way worse. I just hope we don't tear down that old bar and wall and find a bajillion dollars worth of repairs needed.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That sucks man. I know that feel as an Ontarioan that has seen a lot of rain recently.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    At least we didn't get tornados. Angus is only about an hour north of me, and it got it's shit wrecked. Freaking scary.

It's amazing how over such a short distance it goes from "basement partially flooded" to "our house just isn't there anymore."

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Wow.

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Speaking as a resident of the greater-greater toronto area, I'm pretty sure there's bus service to toronto. Or you could ask one of your ralph-lauren jacket beclad friends to drive you.

Nice job spending money on tickets to a concert you have no way of getting to while complaining about having too little money, by the way.

14. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

So, I'm debating calling Social Services to see if it's possible to reload at least some of my SNAP early (it gets reloaded on the 3rd of every month ) or should I just wait until next week? The thing is, we only have enough frozen food for the weekend, after that we have nothing (the soup I think is expired ) until next week.......I intend to sell some DVD's so hopefully that means I'll have enough for a couple steaks, chicken, soda and milk.

And I response to the comments over the Gas Station shooting, that station is family operated , they won't hire outsiders, and it was crass of some people saying there was a job opening after a family member was shot........

In other news only I care about, my car battery had to be replaced this week, the garage said the old battery was so unsafe they needed hazmat gear to handle it (I'm surprised that it didn't blow up) and I'm lucky that the battery didn't die when I was either on the road or out.

15. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't mean to be an asshole or anything here, but maybe you should buy some cheaper food than steak, and maybe water instead of soda. If money is that tight you should manage it better.

Shit happens, and you need a job. Doesn't seem crass at all.

Really wish you could catch a break man.

16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, today my car got stolen. On my way to work I stopped in the gas station for a Coke and a snack. Three minutes I was in there, and when I came out the car was gone. Now, full disclosure: I left the engine running. I have to; it's an 18-year-old car with engine problems, and when you try to restart it after shutting it off just a few minutes earlier, it won't start.

The car itself is worthless, and fortunately there was very little inside the car that was of any value either. My major loss was my GPS, from which the thief can easily tell I have some obsession with Toys-R-Us, and a few personal items that technically are replaceable but have sentimental value.

So, a crime of opportunity, to be sure. But really? An 18-year-old car, with over 184,000 miles, clearcoat coming off so the thing looks like it's peeling, and filled with so much garbage like 3/4 empty 20oz. Coke bottles and fast-food bags that it looks like a dumpster threw up in there? Really? This heap is what you steal?

With any luck, the thief will drive it somewhere, shut it off, and not be able to get it to start again. That will be worth a laugh.

17. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    He'll strip it down and sale it for parts.

18. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 This is noise

I really wish I could have a day were nobody else and I actually get to enjoy being able to relax and not listen to everybody else's BS. Yeah like that'll happen.

19. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    So it seems like it's been a few months since you stopped posting daily rants in this thread, and now it seems like you've started again. What did you do to apply the advice you were given last time, and what has happened since then to cause you to start again? It looks to me like you're falling back into old habits.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    'Acts of God' clauses in insurance contracts are utter bullshit. Check your policy again for specific clauses for rain/flood damage. If you ran this by the Insurance people first they may claim ' it's an act of God' to avoid paying out.

True story. Many years ago my girlfriend (now wife) was working in another city and renting room from a sweet old lady who lived in a really nice big old house. But one day there were big storms and the back roof was struck by lightning.

When she called it in to her insurance company, they said it was an act of God, pointed out the 'Act of God' clause and because they're not covered she'd have to pay for the repairs herself, which she was in no position to because she was old and retired.

Anyway I was sure this wasn't right so I asked to look at the actual contract, and after half an hour of perusing it I found what I was looking for, a specific clause relating to lightning damage. She went back to them and got them to pay out for the repair work.

Bottom line, you cannot trust insurance companies. And actually flood damage should be covered, they may claim the flood was an 'act of God' it wasn't. The so called 'Act of God' was actually the rain, which caused the flooding but flooding is flooding which you should be covered for.

@ikkstakk, damn sorry to hear that. Obviously you know never to leave a car running when you leave it, but from what you say you didn't have much choice. My mother in law used to leave her car running in the mornings to warm it up until the day it was inevitably stolen.

This was decades ago and luckily they found it abandoned a few streets away later in the day.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.