The Rant About Work/School/Life Thread [NO POLITICS]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thelbert, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Really? I was fired from a check printing company years ago. A few months after being fired from that place, I was hired at a cable company, but that's after receiving offers for interviews at 3 other places. Then after that, I was hired as a contractor for Direct TV. Then, after that an insurance company. Now...I'm even being considered for the local PD. And in ALL places, I listed that I was fired when asked. So...like you said....NO company will hire anyone who's been fired? Are you're telling me the 7 + years I spent at the cable company was nothing but a dream? Man...I must be smoking some good shit. (Actually, I quit smoking as of last September).

Actually, I am friends with people who work as hiring managers in HR. They all tell me that whether you are fired or not, they will know. They all tell me they do appreciate the honesty over someone who lies on their application for any reason or for any thing on the application. As to WHY you were fired is another thing. They can only verify that you have worked there, how you left (quit, laid off, or fired), and whether or not that previous company would even consider you for re-employment. That's it. Nothing beyond that is mentioned, otherwise it's a violation of privacy laws. So telling anyone to NOT say that they were fired, and to say they left otherwise is indeed lying on your application. You want to know what lying on your application gets you?

Not hired.

But if you do get hired, and they discover the lie, guess what? You get fired. If they find you a dishonest person, how can they trust you with company sensitive/proprietary information? They can't. So why would they keep you? They won't. I've personally seen it happen to several people. They lied to get a job they wanted. Soon after it was discovered they were not being honest. They were "let go" as how they worded it. So from being unemployed, to shortly being employed, back to unemployment. That's not what I call good advice. Unless that company needed workers and were told to overlook that someone got fired in favor of hiring the exact skill set or talent they needed, having been fired these days normally don't mean shit unless your face was plastered all over the news for doing some shady ass dumb shit.

*edit*

I will add this though.....if you quit in lieu of being fired (something I've seen on several applications shown to me by others), and you say you didn't......that's also lying...and that will also NOT get you hired.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  2. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I'm scared. The court date is set for a non jury trial involving Capital One for the 26th at 830 AM. I'm worried we won't have representation and get boned, or worse, the plaintiff has so much overwhelming evidence that my defense of being unemployed won't cut it. Of course, in some ways, had I not followed someone's bad advice, I would have gone job hunting right after I was canned. I keep hoping that this is one elaborate nightmare and when I wake up I'll be going into work, going to school or on my death bed and all this was my life flashing before my eyes

3. Rattrap Primal

I don't have the money to move out of state, and to me that would lead to temptation of living on my own with limited resources (ie getting back into debt). That and I'm staying to help my mother out around the house and if I work out of state and commute, I'd probably waste half my money on gas, and have even more taxes to pay (like working in PA and living in NJ)

There are listings online, but I've had maybe one hit in months, banquet prep, which I knew wasn't my speed since it would require moving chairs, tables, etc from one Ball Room to another and set up in a speedy fashion. I helped a friend move out and the TV Cabinet he and his girlfriend had was so heavy it almost killed me trying to get it up the steps, so I knew I would need a lot of help to get that done, which I knew odds are I wouldn't get.

So what people are saying I shouldn't even say I got fired? So how do I explain the gap in employment? Or if they contact AMC? What happens if I'm considered too old or not what they want? Jobs are computer driven now, and I still get confused of RAM or OS or Circuits........and I was a crappy student in math (too much abstract, not enough practical operations that I would actually use.)

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wow, that was almost a snuff movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There's a difference between using computers for a job and understanding them.

6. Rattrap Primal

I know that, it's just frustrating that my PC's Hard Drive is down and I have no way to fix it

7. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

First, congratulations on quiting smoking. That takes like, Green Lantern level will power and you should be seriously proud of that. My dad smoked for a long time and I saw how hard it was for him to quit, so I genuinely mean congratulations.

As for the whole application thing, I really should have started my post differently. I was just relating my experience and how things work out here, apparently there are some regional differences. I do know that out here in CA, prospective employers actually can't ask if someone has been fired, either or the applicant or their previous employer. And that's also probably why it isn't on applications out here. It's turned into this weird bizarro "don't ask, don't tell" kind of scenario. Personally, I'd prefer it work the way things do where you are as I prefer to honest, but that's just not how it works here. As for my current employer finding out, it would be pretty tough. Most of my previous employers don't even exist anymore so there's not even anywhere to verify anything. My first job was 4 1/2 years at a grocery store on an Air Force Base that is literally not there anymore (even the buildings are gone). After that I was at Blockbuster Video and we all know where they are now. Then there were various call centers that all folded up and are no longer there either.

That's what I was suggesting, but that's based on my experience and the way laws and hiring works out here. You might want to check the laws in your state and maybe see if you can talk to some people that do hiring to see what they say. At the very least, you will want to explain the gap in employment regardless of if you list getting fired or not. Most employers (again, this is out here, your mileage may vary) will not want to hire someone with long periods of unemployment without some explaination of what you were doing during that time (going to school, assisting family with problems, etc...). Also, they can't not hire for being too old, that's age discrimination, which is illegal everywhere. Now, if you're not what they're looking for, well, then you just keep pounding the pavement and apply somewhere else.

8. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    You wanna know what made me quit? The intermittent smell of it on ME that I detected. It was enough to fucking gross me out and wonder....how others view me if even I....a smoker....can smell this shit. So...that serving as partial motivation helped me quit. I'm on e-cigs, but I hardly ever use those. I actually enjoy being able to breathe when I jog, do HIIT cardio....and not feel like I'm about to have a heart attack :tongue: 

Well....CA is different. Way different from when I grew up there. I mean hell, did you know there's this weird consumer privacy law that prohibits insurance companies from telling you how much you'd save if you bundled multiple insurance products with your auto policy? And that you'd only get those savings as long as those products were considered insurance products? Every other state allows insurance companies to tell you exactly how much you'd be saving. California? Nope. Or at least, the insurance company really shouldn't be.

And I'd take your word for it in that things may have changed drastically. But from what I do know, while employers may not be allowed to ask (in CA), somehow... in some way, they tend to find out anyway. How? Beats me. My friends won't divulge that to me. And that's probably due to privacy laws or information that I am not privy to. All they do is give me that look and say, "We know....in most cases, we just can't tell you we know." Sound like BS? I think so....but hey...if that's how it is...then I'd rather be honest. But I'll even concede to the fact that if YOU KNOW....that they're not going to check...well shit...that's up to you.

Most employers these days only want 10 years of work experience listed on your resume. So if you were fired 12 years ago....why are you going to put that on there if they only want to see 10 years worth? (given that job doesn't extend into the 10 year limit....meaning....after you were fired, you worked somewhere else).

9. transtrekkie

Well it's good that you found that motivation and are enjoying feeling healthier.

Yeah, I heard about the insurance law and you're right, it is crazy out here. Land of the fruits and nuts. In fact, I'm kinda surprised that there isn't a "Crazy shit from CA" thread like there is for Florida. We have all sorts of new crazy legislation... I do have moments where I'd like to move just so as not to live somewhere so insane.

10. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    Laptop or Desktop? PM me more info like the model number and I'll try and help. Push comes to shove I'll mail you a spare, used, but functioning HDD with an OS pre installed. Just do me one favor and STOP saying that you can't do something and just get out there and actually do SOMETHING. Again not to sound like an ass but you are acting like your own worst enemy at this point.

11. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Well, when I got out of the service, I stayed here in CO. Much cheaper COLA. And gas isn't $4 a gallon either :tongue: 

12. transtrekkie

Indeed. Since this is the rant about life thread, gas prices are defnitely on that list.

13. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    you know what makes me mad? the price of stamps. how does 20 of these things cost me $10? should be $5 at most... these thingd are itty bitty pieces of paper...

14. Rattrap Primal

1) I talked to the lawyer, he said the court date I didn't have to be there, the creditor would win anyway. I could get them off my back when the bankruptcy starts, but that could take a bit to get the money.
    2) I know a job would help, I've been looking, but I hit roadblocks with being overqualified or not being knowledgeable or not being etc etc etc. this economy sucks for jobs

15. racbgar

racbgar Well-Known Member

OMFG I know jobs are suppose to be stressful but I don't think to the point where i want to cry myself to sleep at night. tonight esspecially, we are not suppose to be in wrap for more than a min and my partner and i were in wrap for about 2 mins today but that is because we were doing some "paperwork" for the customer's account and there was no one on the floor to help us out so we can get it right. and we got yelled at for it. I did kinda say "well we are working on getting out of wrap but no one is helping us" and when i was looking for some help i saw about 5-6 hands raised or people looking around for help. and there was no one and if there was they were just standing around talking to other floor help about their day and crap. i couldn't believe it. i am already thinking about looking for another job. and i am not even out of training yet. i am going to keep this job though until i find something better.

16. transtrekkie

Holy crap dude, that IS insane! I also work in a call center, but it's a call center for the State. So our standards are so lax that they're not even really clearly defined. But at least management doesn't yell at us for it.

17. Rattrap Primal

Where's the call center? And is it the type of job for a 35 year old Unemployed Box Office Cashier?

18. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    I've worked for call centers in a variety of roles. I can tell you, a lot of them are just like how racbgar said. Most of them are numbers driven. In fact, the more numbers driven they are, the more likely you'll see an even higher attrition rate. Call center jobs are not easy....and sometimes the stress level they put on you is not worth it. I talked to a manager for an airline call center, and even he said more than half his reps if not half the entire call center were on anti-depressants of some sorts.

You have to have a really strong will, strong mind, and an extreme amount of patience to last in a call center environment, especially if its a toxic one. Reps never get any respect from the customers they service....and it doesn't even take half a shift before one answers the phone with that "I don't give a fuck about your problem" tone. I could probably write a book about how most call center jobs suck ass. Despite that though, depending on your salary....it does help pay the bills.

19. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 This is noise

Insomnia fucking sucks. I'm honestly dying to be able to just sleep but I can't.

Got my grades in the mail today two Ds two Bs in the classes that I should have been able to get As in and two Cs. Of course it, that thing that thinks it has the right to act like a Father has to throw a hissy fit over it and make me feel like shit about myself more then I already do. He's a fucking dick to everybody and then gets pissy when people tell him off.

I've been in unbearable pain for the last two days due to my leg get smashed in a door.

20. Aladar20003

Aladar20003 Aladar The Outmoded Autistic

Ebay:
    the definition of emotional pain

My life is slowly starting to fall apart. I'm suffering mild insomnia because whenever i finally start snoozing i have what i call deathmares where the closest person to me being my girlfriend constantly winds up dying in many different ways while i'd never wish this to happen, my only source of info on a half of my family that was hidden from me all my life died just before i got dotm skywarp, my girlfriend's moving to oregon while im in arizona, i rarely get to spend time with her in the first place because we're cities apart currently, my mom and stepdad are worse than animated sentinel in douchebaggery,the list goes on. It's equivilant exchange at it's best too. For everything phenomenally good that happens, something equally horrible must happen in return. mp smokescreen,graduating from high school, ride exclusive evac, dotm skywarp. My great grandma dies and my girlfriends moving away. why must this happen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.