The Range: A thread for shooters/gun owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diamondback, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback Bitterly Clinging G1 Micromaster Malcontent

News Credits:
    Thought I'd open up a dedicated thread where fellow shooters on TFW can talk experiences, hardware, techniques, match scores, etc. All Things "Ammosexual," if you're a hoplophobe this thread is not the rec-room for you. Check the politics at the door.

Me: Former Executive Protection with a stalker I inherited from an ex out there, iron includes the faithful 1911 .45 that was my old duty sidearm and several AR's.
    *16" "jack of all trades" for 3-gun
    *10.3" Mk 18-derived briefcase-carry pistol
    *Canadian C8A3 clone (under construction) for the girlfriend
    *M4 clone (under construction)

---in planning phases---
    *M16A4 clone (gathering parts) - in memory of a friend who didn't fully come home, and Service Rifle matches
    *Canadian C7A2 clone (gathering parts) - GF's for longer barrel Service Rifle matches
    *12.5" GL/SSC near-clone (penciling out) - Home D ready-rack pistol

Other to-dos: Cimarron Buntline long-barrel SAA revolver (Wyatt Earp replica/Cowboy Action Shooting), Ruger 10/22 (plinker), side-by-side coach-gun (CAS), 1921/27/28 Thompson (Bucket List)

Okay, time to pass the baton. Who's next?

• Like Like x 3
  2. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    I'll join, even though I have no irons... wanted a few, can afford many, but with 3 kids under 7, I'm a bit overprotective.

Besides, California won't allow me to own a P90, :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  3. Diamondback

News Credits:
    Book recommendation: "Gun Proof Your Kids" by Massad Ayoob. Taught his kids to be safe that way, and at the same time they learned early to shoot well enough to be nationally ranked competition handgunners before their teens.

• Like Like x 5
  4. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    I mean, I "had" a few... a 92f baretta, a blued 357 magnum, a Winchester 30/30, and a 30.06. As well as an over/under 12 gauge...

Sadly, I lost them all when my father dissapeared and neglected to inform anyone of the storage unit.

2 of them, I know I can never buy again.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim Veteran

Yup, that is an excellent Book. Both of my kids enjoy time on the range with me and is a great family activity. No specifics on stuff I currently own, but I am fortunate that I live in a state that has good laws and allow me to own class III items. I am wanting to build up a Mk 12 SPR clone since one can't have enough AR pattern rifles and its fun to shoot a suppressed precision gas gun.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Diamondback

News Credits:
    God Bless Texas, BBR. Hope to move there someday, at least part of the year. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  7. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I worked at an armory for a few years. Used to shoot 3 gun, I am okay with a pistol, I am an ace with long guns and shottys. My favorite is my friends Zastava .50, looooots of videos of me destroying things with it.

8. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Just get a Mossberg 12 gauge. $189-250. You can get fancy, buy why? You can get a semi-auto 8 shot if you have extra cash. I have a Tromix Saiga 12-gauge, completely unnecessary range/3 gun toy that I can't even use 1/2 the time. But holy shiz is it fun.

9. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I’ve got a Remington 870 20 Gauge, a Remington Model 7600 .270, a .50 cal inline muzzleloader (my personal favorite), a Henry Golden Boy .22 carbine, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk .45 Colt. I got pretty much all of these from my grandfather. I wanted the .45 Colt since I was a kid, and it ended up being my 21st birthday present. I used to use all the long guns for hunting, but I don’t have as much time for that as I used to. As for new guns, I’m trying to decide whether to build my own AR like my brother did or if I want to get a better concealed carry gun (I love the .45, but I just can’t conceal it).

• Like Like x 2
  10. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Casual shooter and lover of firearms. Own an AR15 which in an ongoing project, a Canik TP9 SA, Ruger LCP, Mossberg 590A1, Springfield Armory XD9 Subcompact, Ruger 10/22 carbine, and a sporterized No4 Mk1 Lee Enfield from the 70s. Also went out to shoot in drag for the first time recently. Got a TON of looks from folks as they were driving past the quarry where we were shooting. It was wild!

• Like Like x 2
  11. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Never owned or shot any weapons IRL, but “Shoot an M134 Minigun” is on my bucket list.

12. Diamondback

News Credits:
    Some color-filling work on the lower for my girlfriend's C8.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  13. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Nice! Any upgrades?

14. Diamondback

News Credits:
    I'm installing the A-DAC bolt catch that came with it, but other than adding ambi mag catch and safety this thing's gonna be a basic "Milspec C8A3 clone with some Battlefield Modifications." BM's being that since Insight M3X lights are hard to get now, I'm building a MacGyvered SureFire G2 light for it as both US and Canadian friends used in Afghanistan, and probably an Aimpoint PRO (as a Canadian friend had on his in the Rockpile) since I can't get an Elcan M145 optic.

Here's the rest of its parts on the lower meant for my M4:
    [​IMG]
    The light's for my M4 too, came back from Afghanistan with a buddy then rode his police rifles until he started downsizing in prep to retire, but it'll be joined by a similar build for this one.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Nice. I ordered a Trijicon ACOG myself.

16. Diamondback

News Credits:
    Debating between an ACOG or a variable when the M16A4 goes together; the M4 and M16 are being built with intent to mimic USMC combat configurations other than the lack of DBAL boxes.

One other thing to note, those anti-walk pins are for ease of maintenance than anything: unscrew one side, shoot CLP into the middle of both pins, let the holes in them and capillary action do the work without any disassembly needed.

17. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I’m not going to lie, I’ve always been a closet gun nut.

Though I don’t think I’m ever going to ever own one. Just because of a variety of reasons. For one their probably extremely expensive.

I’ve often fantasized about having a good sized collection with one of each category. To store away, only to use in the event the world goes to shit. Of course that’s completely hypothetical.

I’m just rambling here. Just wanted to admit that.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    They're only expensive if you go after the expensive stuff. There's a lot of ways you can build one and it be affordable. There's also deals out there that can be had as well :)  Just gotta look for em.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Sounds just like building/buying a computer.

Either way, there’s no way my parents would approve of me having a gun anyway. Since I live under the same roof as them. I’m willing to bet they would NOT react well.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Yeah, it can be like building your own computer. Just gotta have the tools to do it too :lol  And I hear ya. If your parents are against stuff like that, you're probably better off waiting til you get your own place. Kinda like what I did :lol 

• Like Like x 3