The Pretenders

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Juggalo_Prime, Jul 26, 2010.

1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    It was theorised that if the shell was destroyed the resulting cerebral feedback would likely kill the owner, however this happened to one of the Pretender Beasts and he lived through it, but with a major CPU-ache.
    In later years, Pretenders seemed able to just lose their shells and forget them completely will no ill effect ('Scream, Bee, Grimmy etc...), leading some to postulate that only those created with their shells and not placed in them later had a strong enough bond with their shells to consider it an integral part of their being. A second theorum postulates further, that really the whole thing was just a bad idea and shouldn't be thought about too much.

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think the biggest problem with Pretenders is they were called Pretenders. With monsters and animals and whatnot and the size issue of the human and animal form ones pretending was always going to be difficult. Would we be more forgiving of the gimmick if it has been called something other than Pretenders? I could've even lived with them being called ShellFormers. Not that I hated Pretenders myself but the name given to this type of figure gimmick does seem to be the biggest sticking point for people when asked about them in fiction. In toys it's usually the iffy alt modes these figures had.

3. Eternalm

Eternalm Hasbro owns my Childhood

Really, watching Masterfoce is probably the only depiction of them that I've liked.

I recently got a hankering for them though, and I bought a bunch of the Decepticons. As TFs they leave a bit to be desired, but they're actually a lot cooler than I remembered them being.

If nothing else, the details on the shells is pretty incredible for the time. The autobots on the other hand all just looked like a bunch of fat guys in fat space suits

4. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    They are the predecessors to what eventually becomes the organic downsized TFs in BW/BM.

That's about the only way to explain it, without diving into the lame Sentai like 'robots hiding as humans' bit in japan with the colorful pretender suits.

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Um, unless this refers to several Marvel UK stories that I haven't read...no.

6. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    I know exactly what you're talking about. It is so wrong, but at the same time you are so very right haha.

7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Yes. Cloudburst and Landmine went flying around the galaxy and encountered the Mechanibals?!? This was a Bob Budianski story in the US comic if memory serves correctly. I think they were chasing Dark/Dread wind/wing, they encountered a tribe of amazon women the same size they were.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    So only really one story then. But it was a good use of Pretenders. Pity others weren't like that.

Seems most alien races were huge like the TFs. I wonder how that affected the other disguises a TF might've used offworld. I suppose they could become skateboards or scooters or something to keep to the scale of the larger aliens.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    You take that back, all of you. Pretenders are bloody awesome, especially Bludgeon, Octopunch and Thunderwing. :p 

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Ummmm..That never happened in the show.:thumbs2: 

11. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    There was also the Matrix Quest story with Longtooth, Pincher and Doubleheader in. And the other one with Bumblebee, Jazz and Grimlock in. Actually, the Pretenders played a large part during Furman's first U.S. comics but many were killed off during the Unicron battle.

The U.K. comics are well worth reading and you should look up the Titan graphic novels and even the smaller black & white stories too.

12. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    We remember Landmine/Lander :( 

I think the best story involving pretenders is Masterforce. In Masterforce the pretenders have been on Earth since prehistoric times, the Autobot(Cybertron) pretenders chose human forms to blend in, the Decepticon(Destron) pretenders chose Monster forms that frightened early humans.
    It's worth watching Masterforce if you've got the time. It's not all Pretender story, but it's still a great series.

13. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The Pretender aspect of that series was neat. First graders being the pilots for Headmasters was weak. And Powermaster Optimus Prime not actually being Optimus Prime was epic fail.

14. Eternalm

Eternalm Hasbro owns my Childhood

I basically watched it while thinking "this isn't really a Transformers cartoon" and then it was actually pretty awesome.

Ginrai not actually being prime is not so much of an issue then, and also there's all kinds of magic in the early eps that doesn't really make sense in the greater G1 continuity.

15. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    That's what I did when I watched Headmasters.

16. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

This.

If you can, watch it subtitled, it's much better.

I used to full-on hate the Pretenders when they came out. Then I watch Masterforce, and now I love them! Masterforce is how the Pretenders should always have been handled. They way they were depicted in the Marvel comics was pure stupidity.

And they kick major ass in Masterforce! It's just too bad that about half way through the series they basically get pushed aside for the Headmaster Jr.'s and the Powermasters.

17. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    :lol . Meant comics. But had show on the mind.

18. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime died in Headmasters. Ginrai is a replacement for him but does not become a true Autobot until the end of Masterforce which is focused upon during Victory.

In modern terms, transtectors would be Transformers bodies without life or a spark. Its up to the humans to give the Transformers body a life and spark of its own by being partnered to it. At the end of Masterforce, all Headmasters and Godmasters become proper Transformers of their own and leave the humans behind on Earth to go meet everyone else who is fighting in space. However, as far as I can remember, only Ginrai and Minerva are prominent in Victory out of the Masterforce characters.

19. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I know. I watched the whole series from start to finish.
    But seeing Powermaster Optimus Prime called Ginrai with a human basically being in charge of his body was ridiculous.
    And never once when this dude was parading around looking like Prime did any of the Autobots/Cybertrons say anything like: "Heyyyyy... you look like Optimus!" like they had forgotten who Prime even was to them.
    And Optimus Prime being killed off again in Headmasters right after his resurrection was an even bigger epic fail than bringing Powermaster Prime and making him not Prime.
    What the hell did the Japanese people have against Optimus anyway?

By the way, this is coming from someone who liked Prime's death in 86 and is a huge fan of the Rodimus / Galvatron era. I don't think a TF series NEEDS to have Optimus and Megatron all the time. But the Japanese brutal treatment toward Optimus turned me off to 2/3rds of the Japanese era. I can only watch Victory with true enthusiasm.

20. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I think the Pretenders line was a way for Hasbro to compete with the new figure lines such as Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The same way Micromasters was Hasbro's way to cash in on the Micromachines craze. By the way, the Pretenders rock!!!!!!