The preschooler gaming quandry

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kakashi, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Earlier this month, my daughter turned 4. Sometime shortly afterwards, games became a thing for her. She LOVES to play Mariokart. She also runs around on mine and my wife's Final Fantasy 14 characters. Some games have been causing drama, though. Like Luigi's Mansion 3. She was perfectly happy exploring the hotel until she discovered Polterpup. And then she wanted him ALL. THE. TIME. As you may know, Polterpup is mostly a tutorial/sight gag character.. Not a friggin hunting dog. So now she is banned from that game because she just whines for Ghost Dog the whole time. -.-

My question to you is, what games did or would you let your kids play at this age? Points for anything with an animal companion... Also, no phone games as we do not own a smartphone.

2. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Bah! You know the one true answer is... DOOM! ;)  Or maybe Mortal Kombat.

Okay.. Serious answer, use the SNES online app *and I know you have access to it!* to get her Super Mario World, that would give her Yoshi, and all of us loved Yoshi as kids. :) 

I would also suggest Spyro Trilogy. It's a good basic 3D game with a dragon... What's not to like? :D 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Well, around that age my nephew was playing simple games, like Pacman, or those educational games you plug directly into the TV. It's been a few years, now he's playing games like Super Mario Bros and Yoshi's Island and Kirby.

I agree with Tigran, get her Super Mario World. Young or old, everyone loves that game.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I don't know about SMW being tantrum-free, i'm almost 40 and I still lose my rag getting under the gate for the Cheese Bridge secret exit. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yoshi’s Crafted World & wooly World are both perfect for that age. Enough to keep it challenging for a 4-year-old but also extremely forgiving. And he has his pet dog, Poochie.

Mario Kart 8 is a great racing game too for any age.

Mario Tennis, Sonic & Mario at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

Journey is good.

I’ll keep thinking. My 3 year old is obsessed with Yoshi right now, so he doesn’t play much else. But I know there are some good ones out there.

• Like Like x 2
  6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I don’t have kids but the games I played at 4 was classic 2D platformers like Mario and Sonic. I also played classic arcade games like pac man and frogger. The Kirby games would be great especially since you have a Switch.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

I'm going to say Kirby Star Allies and Yoshi's Woolly World/Crafted World would be good choices.

• Like Like x 2
  8. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO ***FT Screwdriver Collector ONLY.!***

I can honestly say any Mario title would be fine but word of warning though: DO NOT PLAY ANY MARIO PARTY.! IT WILL CAUSE A RIFT BETWEEN YOUR FAMILY!!.!!
    But Yea when my Godson started getting into Gaming I gave him my Wii with "NEW" Super Mario and the whole family loved it especially since it's 4 players. Also they loved Wii Sports as it kept them active/moving vs sitting on their butts gaming. Hope that somewhat helps but AGAIN: DO NOT PLAY MARIO PARTY AS IT WILL CAUSE A RIFT WITHIN YOUR FAMILY...... Cheers;) 

• Like Like x 1
  9. RabidYak

The family friendly image of multiplayer Mario spin-offs is a sham, I used to regularly play 4 player Maro Kart with a group of educated professional adults and it frequently resulted in tirades that made Joe Pesci look like an amateur at swearing.

10. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Well, my eldest nephew (7) got interested in video games around 3 and a half. He mostly played classic 2D and 2.5D games like Mario, Sonic and Kirby. I introduced him to Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. and he just stepped in to the 3D gaming with Super Mario 3D Land.

His little brother (4 in February) has begun gaming and plays New Super Mario Bros. 2 on his own 3DS.

I would suggest Nintendogs but that might make your daughter want a real puppy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My 4 year old loves mario kart! She also likes flying around in dbz xenoverse (i think that's what it called).

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

My 5 year old plays Roblox on her tablet and Xbox with her 9 year old sister.

13. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

When I was a kid my parents had us play alot of Mariokart and Mortal Kombat! They grew up with those games too.

If I were an parent I probably would let my kids play Mortal Kombat, and some more family stuff like Smash Bros. and Sonic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Sounds like she's already developing her own tastes and at that age you can't expect them to be good enough to get through on their own. So simple and interactive games will do for now. Namely arcade games, Kirby, Mario, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Pet Care Sims.

Not pre-school age but when I was little? Various Pinball games, various Pac-Man games, Battle Chess, Donkey Kong, Snake, Rattle n Roll, Hogan's Alley, Arkanoid,Burger Time, Tetris, Q-Bert, some arcade game with a cat I can't remember. I was terrible at them.

My daughter when she first tried out games tried out Sonic, Ecco the Dolphin (she just swam around) Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3, Mario Paint, Yoshi's Island, Little Mermaid, Snoopy's Silly Sports, A Link to the Past, Crystal's Pony Tale, Ecco Jr. Kirby's Adventure, Kirby's Superstar, Paper Boy 1 and 2, Pokemon.

She is older now and she loves monster collecters like Pokemon, Monster Rancher, and Yokai Watch.

Adventure games like Zelda and Okami.

Fighters like Smash Bros. and Street Fighter.

Artsy/creative games like Mario Paint, Scribblenauts, Spore and Drawn to Life.

Rpgs like Earthbound and Fire Emblem

My littler cousins love Mario Kart 8 and Kirby Superstar.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MetalRyde

The first MK game came to consoles in 1993 and my dad bought it for me and I was 9 at the time. He did teach me the difference between fantasy and reality which I had no problem understanding.

By accident, my 7 year old nephew caught me performing Leatherface's fatality in MKX. He snuck up behind me with no noise, like a cat, and heard him say "is that blood?" My sister asked what happened and I said "he knows what MK is now." She responded with "yeah, I knew eventually he'll find out about MK."

He started with Smash when he was 5 and the day he saw MK, his mom gave the ok for Super Street Fighter 2 on Genesis

I'm just wonder if I should let him play a MK game when they visit this weekend. Probably go with the SNES version.
    no blood, just sweat.

• Like Like x 2
  16. RabidYak

MD would be better, still no blood if you don't put the code in and doesn't have dogshit input like the SNES version.

17. MetalRyde

MD as in Mega Drive?

I just remembered last month that MK1 on Genesis can still perform fatalities with no blood. Like Cage giving a super shadow kick that sends the opponent flying off screen.

I honestly didn't know about that until last month. 27 years but better late than never. lol

18. RabidYak

Yep, Mega Drive/Genesis.

That was the version I had at home at the time despite primarily being a PC and SNES guy, although the system ate allot of resets until I learnt to stop whiffing the code. :p 

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No idea. Basically anything Nintendo for the most part. They are super family friendly with Mario type games.

Me i had Atari as a kid. Combat was a fav as a preschooler. Then grade school it became Nintendo once that NES out. Punch Out, Mario, Duck Hunt, etc.

• Like Like x 1