The Predator (2018) "It's not a Reboot!"

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by MetalicGrunt, Jun 24, 2014.

1. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

Suicide Squad features some really really bad editing as well, not suprising when this like the Predator was reshooted multiple times. I really do wonder how to original version would have looked like if this is the "improved" version

2. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Heh, guess all that's left to do for the next one (yes, there will be a next one because Hollywood never learns) is to make a terribly contrived prequel origin story.

• Like Like x 3
  3. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not often that I hear Mike say "This is dumber than a Transformers movie, even." :D 

I think you really need to watch more movies. I recommend Things, Troll 2, the Room, Samurai Cop, and all the Birdemic and Neil Breen movies. ;) 
    I mean, yes, this is a terrible action movie, but I would not say this is the worst movie ever. There is soooo, sooo much worse out there. It is at least competently shot with acceptable effects. So is Ghostbusters. They are bad in other ways... MANY other ways.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

This has made me want out to check out Mandy ,,seems like an interesting film

• Like Like x 3
  5. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I actually kind of dig Samurai Cop. That movie is so bad that it's good.
    That said. I do think The Predator and Ghostbusters are both visually interesting movies. I even said that I thought the practical effects of the Fugitive were damn good. Anyway. I get your meaning, though. Yes, there are worse movies out there. I am being a tad hyperbolic. I'm just really bummed out that this is probably going to be the franchise killer. At least for a few years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Man... The Alien and Predator movies just can't seem to catch a break can they?

Predator 1 is amazing. I watched this movie as a kid on TV (censored of course), but it was so good. A classic 80s action movie through and through.

Predator 2 is good. Not as good as Predator 1, but it gave us a lot of the Predator's classic weapons and more background about the aliens.

Aliens vs. Predator and Aliens vs. Predator 2 were...movies. *shrugs shoulders*

Predators was really good to me given how much it paid homage to the first Predator movie even with the silly "bigger, badder Predators".

The Predator though...just...wow. Everyone's already pointed out the flaws with this film already, but it just feels like this movie wanted to be a reboot rather than a continuation.

7. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Predators to me, was like a side story that really just gave us a better picture of their desire to hunt anything they deemed a "worthy challenge." I mean, we did see in AVP that Alexa Woods was given her honorary mark on her face after she helped to kill the Queen. So it's like their culture is heavily imbued with the notion of gaining honor through the hunt. Kinda like with tribes of the past where men became "men" when they successfully killed their first prey. Also, Predators more or less gave us a better look into their species on screen. It let us know there were different types of Predators.

Not saying all of them were Oscar worthy or anything, but that's just my take on it.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Well I just watched this gem. I feel kind of odd about it I really thought all the Predator characterization changes would bother me but I didn’t find it really annoying. I mean there are tons different human motivations and beliefs so different groups of Predators okay I’m willing to run with it. But the movie was just so terribly done, really the second half is a shit-show. I actually was okay until the upgraded Predator shows up then it’s just downhill like a bullet train. The upgraded Predator is just stupid, like really stupid, and the thing at the end of the movie? I really don’t think that could look any stupider. What a total shame if the ideas where shit it would be easier to hate it but the bad execution just makes me sad.

9. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure if I'd watch it or not, but then I thought I might not get the chance to watch another Predator movie in theaters so, I went ahead.

It was better than what I expected. Some stupidity in it, the jokes can get cringy at best, but I'll be honest and say I had some fun with it. The characters do grow on you and it was nice that they let them live long enough before the eventual massacre.

The plot is kinda stupid, that one dog felt like a very forced joke and a mood killer, some effects were very cheap looking, but the action scenes and Predator fights were cool.
    If we're counting Predators and the two AvP movies, I'll put this as my third favorite Predator movie in the franchise.

7/10

• Like Like x 2
  10. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally watched it, boy this movie is dumb. Fun, but just dumb. Had high hopes on account of black - even IM3 feels better in rewatch but this movie is just sooooo dumb. Some nice setpieces, backstory n characters, but a lot of, uh, inexplicable stuff that makes u go, wha?

• Like Like x 2
  11. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

Something to keep in mind about why they'd want to utilize human DNA for living on Earth is the fact that their bodies can't handle our atmosphere for an extended period of time.

This is more or less established in Deadliest of Species that the air they breathe has a different composition, and they'll need a gas mask after a while.

Not sure if that's what the movie intended, but it is a thing to consider.

12. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    The predator had an almost 76 percent drop in ticket sales for its second friday. Predators was 79 percent drop overall in its second weekend.
    I suppose these movies are going to be on par for their overall performance.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

Yeah huge drop for it, will be number 4 this weekend. While it will probably end around the same as Predators but unlike Predators this has almost double the budget

14. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The more I read about this film the more it seems like Studio meddling was involved (the practically re-shot the last quarter of the damn film).
    Shane has too good a track record for him to put out such a stinker.
    I would've much rather wanted a sequel to Predators than this garbage.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I'd love to know what this "too good a track record" is that you speak of. As a director, he did a decent first attempt with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, completely shit the bed with Iron Man 3, nailed it with The Nice Guys aka his ONE great movie which still bombed, and then shit the bed again with this Predator nonsense. And as a writer... what... the Lethal Weapon's?

Genuinely, I have been trying to figure out for years where or why Shane Black of all people gets this weird "he's normally great" pass when I see virtually nothing in his resume to justify it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's shame there'll be no predator movie after that.

17. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh definitely. I absolutely adore Samurai Cop. I laughed all the way through, and I want to watch it with friends someday. There are many other such movies too, but it takes a special LACK of talent to make them... you cannot make bad good movies on purpose. They just happen. :D 
    The Predator is indeed a bad movie, as you say, just for other reasons - bad script, bad directing, many terrible ideas that should have been axed in development. I don't think it killed the franchise, though. I sadly saw Terminator Genisys and it was terrible in a similar way, utterly unenjoyable and stupid with "why would you do that???" moments. But it was not enough to kill the franchise, here we go again with yet another attempt in 2019. I bet we will see another Predator movie soon as well. Nostalgia still sells well.

Huh? The predator in Predator 2 loses his mask in the warehouse confrontation, and then runs around maskless (and sans an arm, and injured) for the rest of the movie without trouble.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  18. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

The City Hunter had a gas mask as part of the Medicomp (he also didn't exactly last that long after he lost his mask, either):
    [​IMG]

Also, in the Deadliest of Species series a human was almost killed by breathing the air in a Predator ship, so I gotta assume they don't exactly breath our Earthly air.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Bingo. The city hunter was having problems once he lost the mask. He had to take deep breaths through the mask. Plus he took a few shots to the chest from a shotgun. He wasn't in the best shape by the end of that movie.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'd like to see the predators become allies of humans again.