The Plastic Empire Podcast Interview with Chris Sterett of Dr. Wu

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by prime-el, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What if 3P has ties to organised crime (like a Chinese mafia)? :lol  They're still dealing in crack, just the plastic kind.

2. zy80

zy80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ”严正声明,本人根本不认识这个人,更不可能是我的成员,里面的内容纯属无稽之谈!“

[​IMG]

the picture within the picture:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Translation from Google: "Solemnly declare that I do not know this person, but I can not be a member, which the content is nonsense"

Can Chinese speakers confirm??

4. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    ”严正声明,本人根本不认识这个人,更不可能是我的成员,里面的内容纯属无稽之谈!“

"Disclaimer:I don't even know this guy. Thus, he can't be one of us. Everything (in the video) is horseshit!"

5. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

There's no way in hell Chris would make this stuff up. He is honest to a fault.

6. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pedro will get to the bottom of this :p 

7. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Guess honesty and doctor can't go together.

8. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Really interesting. I'm surprised that no one else has focused on the thing that most interested me:

3Ps put together "assembly teams" based on especially skilled factory workers. And apparently they rent the factories on off-times (evenings & weekends?) to allow this assembly team to put together collector-quality figures.

Having been discontented with Hasbro's bad labor practices myself, I both like and hate this. Like because it's good to see these factory workers getting a leg up, with a small business--dislike because this sounds like it's adding 10-12 hour shifts to what are already, usually, 60 hour weeks. But if it allows them to get out of the sweatshops...

In any case, I wish there were a good, reliable source of info on the 3P industry online. It's all painted as so shadowy.

9. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Do we know this is definitely Dr. Wu saying this, and not someone else?

10. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    in this case i wish i never said yellow transformer and would like to be detached from it but i was live, but i will go into specifically how and reasons why sabotage is a thing, hopefully no longer but it looks like it still is, but i asssure you there was, the factories work a little different than you described and i will detail all of this next show,im sorry for the misunderstanding and if i may use this chance to let those who misunderstood or i said it wrong out of anxiety but i do remeber and i hope im right that i said a new MP every other month, was a part of their strategy not every month, and that would include repaints, hope that helps the mp every month misunderstanding.

i thought the igear ones were great but you are right, its just way easier to use a pre existing mold and way cheaper to bass your fig and transformation etc on. some day we will get good coneheads :)  hope all is well
    bro im really sorry but thats new stuff and i just dont know, anything i can say would be pure opinion, but i hope u and urs are doing great :) 
    honestly i think the game has changed a lot, like i was saying on the podcast, at these meeting in the evening everyone that attended knew what everyone else was making and in my time it was not a problem because there was plenty of market for every ones version. yes with the predakings there was issues but that just because MMC didnt attend these meetings and one of the two others broke a verbal deal between the two not to make their version. but now a days i just have my opinion on whats the current reason. always respected you, hope all is well :) 
    off hand the Igear impactor by the designer that left before it was made therefore could not be made by anyone. the sickest Megatron head i have ever seen in my life done by a designer on here by the name of Tecrom designs i believe , he is a phenomenal designer, i need to contact him its been to long :) 

thank you very much kind sir :)  XTB and KFC and Unique toys and DX9 are the same company, i will discuss keith x and the misunderstandings involving him but i can assure you he is not the middle man. hes very powerful in the 3rd party world but not on the middle mans level. Badcube might be part of the XTB umbrella but i cant say for sure, just noticed things during its development. Fanstoys has no issues with the middle man, they where selling their first product on FB doing all their own sales pitches to stores. they refused any influence and kept very secretive. ( on FB quackwave was only 105 or 115 shipped from their page)
    in regards to selling designs for $1000 being cheap yes it was but this is what he would offer for upgrade designs, im sure he would offer more for a full figure, matter of a fact 2 popular customizers on this site made custom g1 combiners and where bought by Mr. X and are the ut preds the ut abominus we have now, he also bought their designs for a devy, computron, and i cant remember what else, but he had those back in 09 or 10. i dont know the designers you are speaking with i would love to talk with them :)  , anyways where were we? i cant confirm but most companies have more than one designer now or days or if they are a established company.
    ur kind words mean alot thank you May God Bless you and yours

LOL yeh that does make sense now that u mention it :)  and thank you very very much.
    -Galvatron they know they have to make it, they have the proto im sure its only a matter of time imo. The combaticons are sketchy because if they where of the original designer has/tak will probably want the new designers take imo, its what they have done in past.

in dino mode his head would have been up to metroplex's chest :) 

every where is, but thanks for letting it be known, hope all is well

Wow i might be wrong but i swear you went by a different tfw handle / user name idk and i have always hada lot of respect for you. didnt Curamen buy a Grand Max from u? he is a very respected member of the TFer community and i believe 100 he would vouch for me 100 especially since he saw me in the beginning giving Dr.Wu his start by selling the sharkclones no store would buy to his LA group. but anyways, first things first answer your questions/statements the best i can

- glad u laughed :) 
    - Lies well that hurts, but i respect your opinion.
    - i do hope i actually said every other month, and i didnt say that Has/Tak would go for tick for tack, the attack was a new mp every other month with collectors grade i.e generations etc filling in the gaps using up all the expendable income. 1 reason why is because they know most of us when faced with $200 for 1 3rd party mp or $200 for 3 has/tak mps for the same price, for most there is no question 3 is better than 1 to the majority and thats all they really care about, the majority where the money is.
    - im no random stranger, i am a random fan but many respected members of the TFer community would vouche for if i where to ask, but that is not the man i am.
    - never said one guy was running everything, those he could concede he would those he couldnt he either would or wouldnt sell their product. Many companies fearing not gettin a return on their product would go for this deal to save themselves from a possible financial disaster. in 2014 stores went from buying 300-600 of an upgrade set to 36 pieces, 78pieces, just exactly enough to fill the preorders they received in the week or two they had the item up on their site. so many 3rd parties got scaredand would "sell out". As far as Has/Tak talking to employees well ask some guys in HK working at the mall where action robo use to be what they see. idk but i think u might be surprised what u find out. but its all hear say :) 
    - im not in high school and not a looking for attention, i will always respect your opinion but i have had a saying for about 18 years now, "I dont waste my breathe with lies" embarrassing quoting myself but that has been my out look on lies for longer than that.
    May God bless you and yours

yes this......well it sucks. i mean what if this is really Dr. Wu? he has not responded to my emails since the show. i cant even , i dont know how to respond, if someone can and has the time and is kind enough, please ask Dr. Wu if he denies knowing me, does he deny, Transformazing toys? does he deny Zenith Forge, Maiden Japan? how come outa of your run of 200 sharkclone sets my group and the la collective owns over 170 of those sets, why have you been sending multiples of every color of everything you make that i give away to my friends in the VTC? i mean im getting emotional, so i will post like an idiot then address Dr. Wu or who ever this is in a way that every human deserves to be spoken like, with respect and honor.

in conclusion, as i said i made mistakes and have corrections and apologies to make, but mistakes due to the circumstances wont stop me from at least finishing my story, if i wanted to i could prove everything that i said correctly. And have people vouch for my honesty but im too honest to need to do so much to prove my honesty, right now i believe i am doing so. in my day there was only 6-7 people running all the 3rd parties, maybe maybe 8-10 but thats it up till 2014, thats the truth not cause i said it is but just was that way. like i said before me lumping MMC, MT and FP all as one company was wrong, they are all different companies ran by different people. so my 4 turns into 6 now, then i forgot Igear, so 7 and that about covers it, i will try and think if there is more.
    p.s. just added pics of the customs that where bought by X. i hope the customizers dont mind me showing the pics, if they do i am sorry and i will remove them immediately, thank you

Attached Files:

• ut.JPG
      ut.JPG
      File size:
      202.1 KB
      Views:
    • utcom.jpg
      utcom.jpg
      File size:
      151.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Chris, imo dr. Wu might be denying knowledge of you because he is still in the game you aren't. Possiblity huh? Has there ever been something like a secrecy oath?

Anyway, question for you. I am curious about the seperation or links with china from hk, i take it china does a lot of the KOs, i was wondering why we don't see so many 3P KOs although we are seeing more and more? Do 3Ps have agreements with the KO companies?

12. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    that shits hilarious, thanks for the lol, Cheers good sir :) 

13. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    Hello Mr. Cha Chi ( :)  cool name ) idk but from the translation its harsh, total denial of me and what i tried to do for him, he owes me nothing i know that, i owe him if anything but if that was the case he could atleast contact me and say "dude! MFer! WTF! oh well i had to say that shit sorry bro, dont say this this and this for now on you knuckle head" and then we are family again, thats how we always have done things. i kept my mouth shut about 95% of what i have learned, now i dont feel i should be so careful and not in a revenge way but in a well if its like that guess it wont hurt saying these "terrible" secrets on the next show. i mean they are true and if im out im no longer his brother, than i can say these things cause they wont hurt him, but it will prove i am who i say i am, "i am what i am and thats all that i am im Popeye the sailer man, Doo! Doo!" :)  yeah a little crazy but that doesnt make me not honest or honorable to a fault now does it :)  yes, always secrecy lots of secrecy, but what could i have said about him that was bad? i keep wanting people to tell him things, like "if im not your brother than contact FP MR. S and ask him what he told me the other day about what he was looking for, and what i said" anyways sorry :) 
    during my days after Mikes KOs some 3rd parties took over the ko market. So there where no worries, but there where times where a company would be like, "im done making these" and they would sell the mold to someone else who would use the molds to make more of the product at a cheaper price and sell to China. So the 3rd party would actually sell their molds to their product to someone else to "KO" it or better said would be, "use an old worn mold, with cheaper materials" and sell it as a ko 3rd party. Guilty actually got in trouble with us for trying to KO or copy our product but we put a end to that real fast. also to answer your question all the factories where in China, i dont know of any in the city. so yes they do sometimes, now or days idk but back them it was only done with consent, hope this answers your questions, Blessings to you and yours

14. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

If KFC, XTransbots, Unique Toys and DX9 are all the same company, why do they sometimes announce competing products at roughly the same time? We’ve seen two Blitzwings go head to head, three Galvatons, two Cyclonii(?), not two mention the Octanes and Wreck-Gars, but there’s more time between releases for those.

15. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    i'd say because the illusion of option is better than no option, insurance, and more money. one MP Galvatron will only sell so many units whether there is option or not. Option allows one to do well and one to do great, or one well, one better then another even better, all making money.
    hope this helps :) 

16. mista2x

mista2x Well-Known Member

@Chris - Thanks for taking the time to do the Plastic Empire show and for the replies here. That was the most entertaining TF cast I've seen and I appreciate the insight. :thumb 

17. the oaf

It still doesn’t make much sense to me. There are really only two types of consumer in this industry. There are those that will jump on a new third party product of a character because it’s the first homage to be released, and there are those that will wait for what they consider to be the “perfect” version of that figure, even if it means waiting forever.

Very few consumers, given options at the same time, will choose more than one, so by releasing two competing products side by side you’re forcing them to choose. If it were me, and I were mercenary, I’d release one, which would probably sell more units as even though some people might not be completely happy with it, the lack of current options might make them get it anyway. Then a year later, I’d release the other. It would still sell units to anyone who was holding out and liked the design, but might also sell units to people who weren’t entirely happy with the original figure and wanted to change it. By staggering the releases you double-dip on the impulsive consumers, and overall unit sales will increase.

18. Raika

Raika Well-Known Member

Chris, could you talk a bit about the Transformazing armour sets, the reception to them and what the follow up armour/trailer would have been like had they sold better?

19. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe, in the case of things like Galvatron, might both figures be designed by different designers anyways, even if they are made at ther same factory?

20. the oaf

It still doesn’t make much sense to me. There are really only two types of consumer in this industry. There are those that will jump on a new third party product of a character because it’s the first homage to be released, and there are those that will wait for what they consider to be the “perfect” version of that figure, even if it means waiting forever.

Very few consumers, given options at the same time, will choose more than one, so by releasing two competing products side by side you’re forcing them to choose. If it were me, and I were mercenary, I’d release one, which would probably sell more units as even though some people might not be completely happy with it, the lack of current options might make them get it anyway. Then a year later, I’d release the other. It would still sell units to anyone who was holding out and liked the design, but might also sell units to people who weren’t entirely happy with the original figure and wanted to change it. By staggering the releases you double-dip on the impulsive consumers, and overall unit sales will increase for the overall umbrella company.