The Plastic Empire Podcast Interview with Chris Sterett of Dr. Wu

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by prime-el, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Razor24

Razor24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't lose any sleep over this my friend. Chalk it up to experience. Think of it this way. Pedro and the guys at The Plastic Empire didn't just step outside and grab the nearest guy off the street to interview. They approached you! That alone shows that they saw you as an honorable person who has had credible knowledge of the subject matter.

With anything you do on the internet there will always be haters. Comes with the territory (just look at all the Bobby Skullface haters! :rolleyes: ). But I am sure more people appreciated what you had to offer this community than those that didn't. You and those close to you know the truth about your history with 3P and therefore your credibility and that's all that matters.

Why Dr Wu denied having any affiliations with you I do not know (I hope he responds to your emails and you guys can clear things up) but as someone that you have personally helped in the past when I was trying to get in contact with Daisuke I do not doubt for a second your credibility and all that you have done in the 3P space. So don't regret your actions and wish to have been hidden behind a Bane mask. :) 

Do what you believe is right and makes you happy. Screw the rest. If you decide to do more Podcasts I'll definitely tune in. My only advice next time is play with the "bubbles" before you go on air not during :D 

This. And "piss in your Wheaties"... love that line :lol 

2. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    who woulda thought there would be so many awesome people on TFW lol JK im just thankful i reckon. Oh and being broke makes not throwing my computer out the window possible :)  because of people like you i will continue, hope all is well with you and yours :) 

thanks brotherman, i gotta ask, where did this "piss in your Wheaties" come from, id love to hear the back story :) 

u are so awesome, thank you. How can anyone dislike Bobby Skullface? :)  dude is rad :) 
    Sorry again i couldnt be more help with Daisuke.
    i will take all your advice as well as the last piece, i was doing what ever i could to calm my nerves and just have fun, i do apologize and will not let it happen again :)  ( for all i know you can pause your camera or something, idk :)  )

3. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I thought that was a fairly common term...though I was using it differently than its typical usage. The phrase is commonly used (or at least I thought it was common) by asking "Who pissed in your Wheaties?"...or apparently the cereal is sometimes swapped, but it's asked as kind of a smartass response when someone is in an obvious bad or crabby mood...whereas I was altering the phrase just to say don't allow people put you in a bad mood.

4. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Chris, we have seen companies like Machine Boy, Neo Art Toys, Wu Kong and others release copycat toys at half (of less) the price we see normal 3P toys get released. Can you explain how they can do that? I can't imagine copying a mold cost so much less than making one from scratch that the price of every toy is less. Are these KOs being made in higher quantity? Are they avoiding this mysterious "middleman" you speak of? Do they steal the molds? How come a Warbortron toys costs $100, and I can get a good quality KO of it for $25? Are these toys being released at a low cost by the competition of the original company who designed the toy to destroy their rival's sales?

5. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I've dealt with Chris on several occasions. He's legit. It sounds like some goofs were made due to the hectic nature of a live podcast, but the man definitely knows what he's talking about.

6. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Like what Chris mentioned before, these 3Ps might have sold their molds to others when they have no use of them. I suspect even HasTak might sell their molds too as they know most collectors will buy the official anyway. That's why we get KO MPs that are so accurate and they could get away with it just by naming themselves "Takasa."

7. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to make a figure, it's cool that you were in the biz in the past. When I had money to invest I had a chance to speak to a designer before and I can say they were asking 3k to 5k for 3 figure's designs that were already finished, that I previewed, which is in line with what you were saying in the pod casts. DISCLAIMER Obviously I'm not an expert, just sharing my one experience.

I'm sure it's quite the task to make a figure from a to z but I get frustrated that there are many obvious shortcomings that companies must realize up front with their figures and yet they chose not to correct or change them prior to release. That may not be the designers fault but it does hinder the execution when cost benefit arguments ensue.

Most of my complaints seem like simple fixes, (ie KFC octane's wings), I mentioned an idea for octane prior to FT revealing sky fire and they had actually produced that same idea. so If I could think of it just looking at a jpg, they certainly could have. Maybe they did but said, that would raise the price and parts count. Other issues are hands, joints and face sculpts. Does seem like these things are intentionally left uncorrected for future upgrades. I mean if someone could make crappy hands or faces on a figure and then charge 10 times mark up on an upgrade under an affiliate's name, why wouldn't they? That's just not me though, I believe in doing it right the first time even if it takes longer.

I know HasTakTomy cuts corners for cost issues but they also have the largest runs and it makes me mad that they cut those corners. With 3p, I'm sure it seems to be different tolerances on changes, but the end result is probably the same, maximizing profits.

If you ever want to produce something again, Id like to meet with you. I thought you said you wouldn't go back in without your brother and I get that. I hope he is doing ok as health is everything. I have many ideas and not sure 3p or official would ever go those routes. That doesn't mean they wouldn't sell, that just means they don't realize it yet. Wishful thinking to do something I enjoy for a living vs what I actually do :)  I think thats how FT started out and fans praise them.

Look forward to hearing more. When is the next podcast?

Something you said struck a chord and I was hoping to share my take. People have to earn a living, I think it's ok to make a profit. I think fans are OK with that as well. What isn't ok in my eyes is if you intentionally fall short to just charge more for fixes or future designs. Or when costs come down and you don't pass it on but you do pass on cost increases. Not saying that's always the case but IMO that is difference between earning an honest living and greed. It's not about how much the profit is, it's how you make it.

It sucks to be broke but know you are not alone and hopefully its temporary. I've taken large steps backwards in my career and done so multiple times if I felt things weren't right, even if I was doing really well financially. It made things tough in the short run but things were always better in the long run. You seem like a straight up person and that's cool but I hope you can expand your perspective to see you can still earn a profit and keep people's respect and your integrity.

8. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Hasbro doesn't necessarily keep all their molds. I've heard that some toolings end up as boat anchors. Which, given how big they are/how much they weigh would be a decent secondary use.

9. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:

KFC probably made Octane crappy so UT can sell more of their copies.

10. TheGreatScrotum

TheGreatScrotum Well-Known Member

Completely relatable, here. In perspective, anyone giving you grief over the words you say, the opinions you hold, or the fun we as fam take from this hobby - those people, including companies that reap huge financial reward from us: they're just flat out doing it wrong. In summation, when I see you, the next time there's a convention or wherever, fam, I'm buying you a beer or four. You're the fuckin man.

11. Razor24

News Credits:
    I agree. I like his reviews.

Don't be bud you helped me out enough. I have no ill feelings towards Daisuke. Just a shame I never got to get anymore of the Shattered glass sets other than the one that was mass produced. I loved his work.

All good. I wasn't offended at all. just thought you'd want to keep it off screen in case the guys wanted to keep the podcast PG-13 lol :thumb 

12. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Daisuke, is he the Maiden Japan person?

I still regret not getting his inferno head guard. He was amazing.

13. Razor24

News Credits:
    Shhh we're not allowed to refer to him or his work by name... We will get smacked by Mods.

but yes I have it and it was amazing work

14. prime-el

prime-el Member

Join us for another double-header this weekend! Chris Sterett--goodwill ambassador of all things 3rd Party--rejoins us for another round of Transformers 3rd Party questions on Saturday at 10 PM EST. Our last conversation with him was a smash hit, and this one promises to be just as intriguing! On Sunday at 5 PM EST, we will have SDCC reports and overall new stuff to chat about. Be there!

15. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No more Pedro. Please.

16. Kane429

Kane429 Member

17. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looks like it is just wrapping up now so I'll keep an eye out for the recording.

18. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Future Chris' purple wig is very fabulous~

19. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

My wife says Pedro's voice rings through her head. Pedro put your mic level 3 clicks below the others please! :wink: 

Even if some of the info no longer applies, it's still cool to learn about the 3p origins, old practices etc.

Since the cost is not unreasonable, I'm hoping we see more diecast in figures like the future MP combiners where strength is needed and weight in certain spots.

20. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here's another summation of the new video:

-Keith X is NOT The Middleman.
    -3rd parties USED to be made at the same factory, all the casts were kept in the same closet.
    -According to some designers, there is sabotage and stealing of casts going on, personal stuff etc.
    -Companies that are doing well now used to go under different names, and made crappy stuff in the past.
    -In the past, companies used to piggyback on other companies' casts to save money. This was back when they used to share factories.
    -Fansproject wanted to work with The Middleman, who is wealthy and has contacts with the film industry, to make their own original cartoon series. Unfortunately this fell through.
    -The middleman has a stranglehold on certain companies, and can dictate to them what they can and cannot make.
    -When 3P has finished with their old molds, they sell them off to other people.
    -Fansproject is looking to improve their products even more.