the oscars tonight!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by tfprime32, Feb 26, 2012.

1. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    This. Does the fact that the movie won an award or not make it less enjoyable to it's fans? Who really cares? You enjoy the movie or you don't.

I learned this myself back when Pulp Fiction was nominated for Best Picture against Forrest Gump. I loved Pulp Fiction for many reasons, and thought Forrest Gump was not nearly as good as its legions of fans thought it was. It had it's moments, sure - but was it in Pulp Fiction's league? Not to me. And guess which film won Best Picture. Good ol' Forrest Gump. Was I ticked off, sure. Did I bother worrying about which movie won Oscars ever again? Not really. If a movie I liked actually won Best Picture, hey good for it - but not once has the presence or absence of recognition for a movie I like impacted my enjoyment of it. I still consider Pulp Fiction one of my favorite movies of all time.

What I see going on here, and this is not meant to offend anyone - an Academy Award for Transformers: Dark of the Moon would no doubt be a validation of sorts, a validation that the movie franchise had finally achieved some manner of legitimacy. Whether it was for Best Picture, Best Visual Effects, or Best Catering, I believe that many of the Bayverse fans really wanted to win just one so that they would have something to present to the rest of the fandom and say "Look all you haters - we've got proof that our chosen franchise IS the best!" And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And from reading the posts here, I can tell that when Hugo swept the awards away from Dark of the Moon, the disappointment was huge and furious. It's just like watching your favorite football team get clobbered in the big game against it's rival - the rival that your friends all like, and you know that the next day you're going to hear about how much your team sucks.

I'm not a movie guy. I've seen them all, I think there are good things about each of them - but conversely, I also believe they could have been much better than what they were. I do pop one of them in the Blu-Ray player from time to time to watch some of the scenes I enjoy, and that's because I love Transformers and sometimes that's what I need to satisfy the urge. To the fans, lovers, and defenders of the movies I say this: while it sucks for you that Dark of the Moon won no trophies, and will most likely be subjected to some good natured heckling courtesy of the Razzies, be glad of the fact that at least some of the things you enjoyed about Dark of the Moon were in fact recognized by the Academy, and those things were done well enough to put in the running for an award. Brag about that, if you will. Do the same thing for the 2007 movie.

Anyway, just my :2c:  I could be dead wrong, just how it seems to me right now at my kitchen table.

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm sure people would not have stopped there. If Dark of the Moon had won the effects award then the next leap would be that now no one has a legitimate reason to dislike the designs because it's a visual effects winner.

From there who knows perhaps one of those the designs must never ever be changed because they are award winners.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is so dead-on to what would've happened it terrifies me.

4. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does no one realize that the nomination is the recognition?

How many visual effects laden movies came out last year?

How many were nominated for Oscars?

In 2009? In 2007?

ILM's work on these movies has been acknowledged by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well you know how people are. The movie didn't win that Oscar so they just totally ignore that Dark of the Moon has won:

The Annie Award for Animated Effects in a Live Action Production.

The Visual Effects Society Award for Outstanding Created Environment in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture, Outstanding Models in a Feature Motion Picture, Outstanding Compositing in a Feature Motion Picture, Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture, and Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture.

And since it didn't get that Oscar they ignore that there were nominations for:

Evening Standard British Film Award for Blockbuster of the Year.

People's Choice Award for Favorite Action Movie and Favorite Movie.

Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture.

Teen Choice Award for Choice Summer Movie, Choice Summer Movie Star: Female, and Choice Summer Movie Star: Male.

Since Dark of the Moon didn't grab that Oscar people have this weird idea that the film hasn't received any sort of reconnection or awards because somehow the Oscars are the world's only movie awards.

6. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

You forget the total of 16 razzie nominations the trilogy has had.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Such angers in here...

Everyone goes into this knowing that it's all a fix and meaningless so why people get so wound up when what they expected to happen with DotM because of that actually happens I just don't know.
    And if DotM had won something would it really matter? It's all a fix and meaningless, right? Can't slate the awards beforehand for being pointless and then laud them for the validation of DotM's quality afterwards if it then wins something.
    Either they're pointless awards where the results are biased and fixed or they're not. How many people would suddenly change their opinion to a positive one about this whole awards process if BayFormers had actually won something?

It's almost like Schrödinger's Cat: Awards are meaningless, biased and fixed while simultaneously also being an honest validation of a movie's quality and worth - right up until the results of the awards are announced.

Yup.
    And indeed.

8. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

AWESOME post.

9. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

I think what hurts the most is that we lost to hugo instead of the others.
    Hugo's tech was done millions of times recently, but if DOTM was to loose, it would've atleast been an honor to loose to films like Planet of the Apes or Harry Potter.

10. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I didn't care if DOTM won or not as long as the it lost to something that actually deserved the award. Harry Potter had the same effects used in previous movies for the most part, but I wanted it to win at least one thing. Rise of the Planet of the Apes took motion capture technology to a new level that there was talk about adding a new category to the Oscars just for it. Real Steel's effects were also done really well just like DOTM minus the citywide destruction and the Driller. I would have preferred that DOTM had won because those special effects are still some of the best I've ever seen. Hugo won because critics love Martin Scorsese.

11. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Would those 'critics' be the same Academy judges who - for over a period of more than thirty years of brilliant filmmaking - failed to reward Scorsese with a single Oscar?

Didn't love him that much then did they?

12. daformer

daformer Earth's Reckoning

News Credits:
    Critics are bunch of useless shits.

13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Why? Because they have a different opinion than you?

When has a critic's opinion ever stopped you from seeing a movie you want to see? Or stopped you from liking a movie?

14. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    This. I don't need a critic to like a movie to validate or justify my own liking of said movie.

15. daformer

daformer Earth's Reckoning

News Credits:
    Well, do you think Transformers is a type of movie Roger Ebert will like?
    Well he gave it a full on negative review, and i was thinking..that's like me going to watch Bridesmaids. Its expected that im going to hate it. You get what im trying to say?.

16. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wrong. He gave ROTF and DOTM negative reviews. He liked the first one.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    While I can sympathise with feelings that maybe Hugo didn't deserve the awards it got over DotM when there were perhaps other more worthy alternatives awards could've gone to, I just see it all as some guys in the Awards backroom flipping coins to decide the winner.

Maybe there's some Hollywood polictics going on or perhaps there's some finer critera that meant Hugo really did legitimately edge out DotM and those other films you mentioned. Honestly I doubt there would be much less rage in this thread if POTA or HP had won instead of Hugo. That rage would just be directed at those instead.

18. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Well so he gave it a negative review? Do you base what movies you want to watch based on what Roger Ebert says? Who cares if he likes it?

The only thing that matters is if YOU like it. I stopped worrying about what critics said a long time ago. All they do is provide an opinion - which you are free to agree or disagree with. Their opinion in no way provides legitimacy to anything, at least not for me.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I liked Hugo. It was a good movie, it had more plot than DOTM and did not dissapoint like DOTM.