The Ongoing Legacy Motormaster Batch Number Documentation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Onyxstrike, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Onyxstrike

Onyxstrike Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    As the name of the thread outright spells out, this thread serves to document any and all batch numbers of the now-releasing Legacy Motormaster, primarily to keep an eye on what batches have "pre-yellowed" out of the box.

For context: Legacy Motormaster has started to hit Australian retail and some people have reported that he's starting to discolor right of the box, specifically on the trailer that forms the majority of the Menasor frame. This phenomenon of photodegradation is not unknown to the fandom, hell it's been around since practically the beginning of the franchise even. It's only now that it's started to become an issue, presumably with COVID still being a problem that exists and still affecting the manufacturing side of things. After seeing and hearing reports of Legacy Motormasters bought from Australian retailer Big W starting to discolor I've decided to make this thread in order to see if any future batches won't have this problem of not having discolored patches of trailer underside right out of the box and if any batches that make it to release elsewhere won't have the same problem, especially as Summer is around the corner here in the United States.

The broad regions I'll be covering include the U.S., Canada, the U.K., and Germany (all the current countries Pulse delivers to), the rest of Europe, Australia, and Japan (A TakaraTomy released version will work just as well). I'll also be including a "shared" category for any batch numbers that end up being shared between two or more of them. Just sound off with where you bought it from (state/country and store or website) and an image of the five-digit batch number on the back of the box!

U.S. batch numbers: 20521, 20831, 21131, 21171, 21231, 21271, 21321,
    Canada batch numbers: 20911,
    U.K./Germany/Europe batch numbers: 20831, 20881, 20891
    Australia batch numbers: 20521, 20831, 20911, 21011, 21091
    Japan batch numbers:
    Shared batch numbers: 20831,

In addition, I will be separating the batch numbers by if they have pre-yelllowed out of the box or not.

Pre-yelllowed batches: 20521, 20831, 20891 (slight discoloration), 20911 (slight discoloration),
    Still-gray batches: 20521, 20831, 20881, 21011, 21091, 21131, 21321, 21171, 21271,

The batch number is a five-digit code stamped onto the back of each box, and has a good chance of being different. The easiest way of finding it is angling the back of the box so light hits it in just the right spot. Examples include @lethoma, who was the first reported case of a yellowing Motormaster:
    [​IMG]

And Discord user Domino, whose copy hasn't yellowed yet at the time of this thread's creation.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 20
  2. Onyxstrike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This new code comes from Lethoma again, from their newest Motormasters acquired from the Big W on Redbank Plaza QLD. 20220616_083224.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Discosis

Discosis Member

News Credits:
    Hi, could you separate the batch number lists into batches with confirmed yellowing vs ones reported to be okay please?

Can confirm a 20521 batch here is showing no yellowing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2022
  4. Onyxstrike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Done and done.

And right as I finished adding that category too, hah.

5. Seanprime

Seanprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So to confirm these are yellow right out the box? So once us in the US start to get MM we will be able to tell immediately?

6. Onyxstrike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    From what I can guess based on the second-hand accounts I keep hearing, they are. I can only posit two very similar theories as to why these copies are yellowed out of the box (with some exceptions). As per the TFU.info account of the April 20th fan roundtable, Hasbro puts their plastics through a UV treatment standard. If these copies somehow didn't get a sufficient treatment most likely they might've yellowed while they were in the shipping crates because heat is triggering some sort of fire-reacting chemical mixed in with the PA plastic. The second theory is very similar to the first but relies on the guess that they did get sufficient UV treatments before shipping off, but due to shipping delays or what not they ended up sitting in the crate longer and baking in it. Being in Australia's hellishly humid climate seems to have not helped either.

Either of these seem plausible, and exceptions do exist from these Big W bought copies where they're coming out of the box with no yellowing. So it might be the majority, but that's just my guess. Hopefully by the time Motormaster reaches the U.S. it won't be that much of an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    Yep. Straight out of the box.

9F73D7DB-5A6C-44CE-98EC-A910CF7C3639.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    I picked up my Motormaster today and I figure I should contribute.

Australian purchase.
    Batch: 20911.
    Current condition: Good, though some minor signs of discolouration near rear axle/inside forearm pivot.

I'm pretty happy with my copy and I've inspected all parts. There's what I consider a natural variation in colour between the plastics used, but also a minor variation between parts using the same materials (below).

I'll endeavor to keep watch and report back any changes over time.

motom02.jpg

motom01.jpg motom03.jpg
    Light source: Shaded natural light.

• Like Like x 5
  9. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't want to yellow..png

• Like Like x 11
  10. TotallyTruthful22

TotallyTruthful22 New Member

Holy moley! I never thought I would see someone on these forums so close to me! I grew up in Capalaba and know that shopping centre well!

Anyway, I snagged a Motormaster yesterday from Big W Loganholme, Queensland, Australia. Batch no. 21011 and no greying whatsoever.

• Like Like x 3
  11. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Won't be that. We don't have a hellishly humid climate (except for up in Queensland and the NT), certainly not along the lines of what parts of the US mean by humid, and we're also in late autumn / early winter (which, apart from actual rain, are somewhat dry seasons). And this discolouration doesn't appear to be showing up on other toys that will have been sitting around alongside Motormaster.

Either way, thanks for the thread. I'll certainly be keeping note of these batch numbers if and when my Big W gets some Motormasters in... Big W appears to be cocking up their big mid-year toy sale more than is usual this year (at least for Transformers, anyway).

• Like Like x 4
  12. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Has anybody from Hasbro commented on this? Because for Motormaster's asking price this is straight up unacceptable.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That’s a good sign, managed to get one today (Big W Hallett Cove, SA) and it’s also 21011

Haven’t opened it yet

Edit: not yellow:D 

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  14. aussiedzfan

aussiedzfan Well-Known Member

My Motormaster arrived from Big W Sydney via post. Batch number 20831. There does appear to be some slight discolouring on the shoulder joints you can see on the underside of the trailer. Either that or I am seeing things o_O 

265E32F6-8ECA-4FE5-869B-FF36C9CD02B8.jpeg 15C583E8-8400-461D-9883-068FC8AEB0A5.jpeg

EDIT:
    Pulled apart Motormaster trailer. Worst yellowing is in Menasor white hip joint

BD32355D-2DF7-4FCD-AFA8-EB7BB2EC37D8.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  15. Onyxstrike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So apparently the U.K. is about to get Motormaster soon via In Demand Toys! This thread's gonna be picking up steam faster than I thought!

16. aussiedzfan

aussiedzfan Well-Known Member

Exchanged my Motormaster at Big W Browns Plains. Batch Number 21091. No yellowing that I can notice after checking it over. Also much tighter joints.

17. Optimusmegs

Optimusmegs Well-Known Member

That's unacceptable, hopefully u returned it for another. Hasbro is gonna be getting a lot of calls and complaints from people if this non sense hits north America like this

18. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    Not my picture. Mine arrives today.

19. Dogbomber

Dogbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How is it? What is the batch number?

20. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Batch 21011 continues to be good, with a caveat.

None of the plastic is discoloured as shown in the pictures in this thread, but the grey plastic is swirly, and the swirls reflect a brownish colour from a certain angle. But I had to look for it to see it.