"The One Where They Go to Earth" Should've Been a Two-Parter

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Agamus, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I'm one of those people that liked the Autobot Megatron arc in MTMTE, but I also think it skipped massive portions of the history it needed to cover in order to be a completely valid exploration of Megatron's evildoings. Elegant Chaos elaborated on his circumstances and intentions, and Dying of the Light sort of dealt with his rage, but a massive part of his character and this history of the Decepticons that's never touched upon is his racism.

Beyond a sentence or two in issue #39 it's never explained why techno-supremacy is such an intrinsic trait to Decepticon ideology, or how or why Megatron developed those ideas himself.

Megatron Human.jpg

^ Those three panels should've been an entire subplot. Imagine if that conversation had gone in length into how his racist ideas came to be and what they specifically were, if we got flashbacks showing us how they were formed firsthand. It would've been the perfect chance to go way in-depth into questions like how much of Decepticon expansionism was fueled by techno-supremacy and why it's so prevalent, or how exactly his time on Earth changed Megatron. And not only would it make those issues alone more worthwhile, it'd also take the weight off of addressing Megatron's relationship with organics off of Dying of the Light and allow that arc to solely focus on exploring Megatron's blind anger.

It would even fix Nautica's nonsense character arc, if the Indie Disco arc were shrank into one issue instead, by cutting out her BS backstory with Firestar entirely. Seriously the entire series would've been fixed if issue #43 were doubled in length instead of #41-42.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Not compressing stories that should be compressed and compressing stories that should not have been compressed are two of of my biggest issues with IDW as a whole. Lot of wasted space on stories that could have been told in less space, and potentially so many interesting scenes we have missed out on just because the writer didn’t leave themselves enough room for a decent pay off.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

I can barely even think about MtMtE without a certain sense of heartbreak.

What has happened to IDW?

4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Yeah... no, we didn't need more of that. I doubt it would've made the story any better than it already was.

5. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    Massively agree. Megatron's racism wasn't discussed nearly enough considering how prominent his story was.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

It was more species than race, though, right?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    It's a common mistake fantasy and science fiction authors make when writing. What they mean when they say 'race' is species. The words are sometimes used interchangeably when talking about fictional species, but they aren't the same thing.

That was one thing IDW did right, they created a term for Megatron's bigotry: Technoism. The belief that mechanical life is superior to organic lifeforms.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

"Belief?" Pfshh... I would say 'observation.' Mechanical is superior in every way :) 

• Like Like x 1