The One and Only Official “I have seen the movie!” Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheSpacebridge, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Okay, so after much being pounded into my head on this site...

...I have now seen the ROTF and I was pleasantly surprised.
    Absolutely overshadows the first film and kicks it into oblivion.

Sure the dialogue was very pedestrian, but Prime got the best lines, which is good.
    The action was better and more importantly it was more often. The film was paced a lot better as well, though still a few scenes that ran a tad longer than required.
    Some scenes just needed to hit the cutting room floor:
    The second shot of the humping dogs was needless (at least the first gave Sam's dad a good line), Wheelie humping Mikaela's leg made me cringe and the stoned Mum scene was out of place.
    I guess the easiest way is to add the pros and cons, so bare with me;

PROS:
    • Adequate G1 references and homage.
    • Decent Roster Of Bots.
    • Decent Screen Time This Time Around For All The TFs.
    • A Plot That Actually Interested Me.
    • The Action Was Framed Better.
    • The Addition Of More Colouring Helped Identify TFs much better.
    • Didn't even notice the 'movie mistakes' all these sites are spouting about, many happen in split second scenes anyway. Talk about picky.
    • Devastator. Finally. Would still have been good to see a clear constructicon group that interacts. Not just appear and form Devastator. I think they short changed the Constructicons by not fleshing out the concept that they are actually individuals that combine. It seemed like he was just one conciousness.

CONS:
    • Many TFs were never called by name. Unless you examined the toy packaging before hand, many remain nameless.
    • Sideways had a strong and promising intro. He had more potential.
    • Simple things like "Ravage Eject", "Look! Its Sideways!" or "Grindor! Assist Us!" would have helped to identify a lot of the TFs.
    • Soundwave was underused. He played an integral role as an 'intelligence' type, but would be nice to see him in action.
    • Soundwave's voice was, as people keep saying, like Doctor Claw and detracted from his character when all I saw was a chair with a metal glove.
    • The T-X/Mystique clone 'pretender' was a silly idea and really could have been left out. I think the writers were watching 'Sarah Connor Chronicles' when they wrote that character to keep tabs on Sam.
    • Too much comedy releif. This film could have benefitted from taking itself more seriously IMO.

6.5/10

In other news:
    Sorry, but I feel I have to say it: The famous 'Twins' issue is balarky. They may have been overused, but if this was live action and they acted that way, no-one would have a thing to say.
    They are no more characitured, stereotyped or anything, than the portrayals we got in the old British TV Comedies like 'Are You Being Served', 'The Goodies' or 'Monty Python' - people are too sensitive these days. Back then it was no biggie at all. Socity is more uptight now than it was then, a flipside to the usual conception.
    The plot wasn't bullet proof, but it was easy to follow and reminded me very much of a few G1 episodes.
    Thankfully, Starscream is back!

2. Hand Of Omega

I did. Kind of obvious it was Cybertron to me. It looked just like the ruined world we saw in TF1.
    Plus, there was no reference he went anywhere else.
    Sorry for the double post, I couldn't figure out how to combine this one with the last one.

3. nemetoad

nemetoad Well-Known Member

I liked the overall movie. However, I have three major problems with it.

1.) The amount of characters killed off seems dumb, especially when Bay said at one point "Arcee had to go. Didnt like her design in the end." I'd rather them come back and be developed before they die :<

2.) Development is key too, and something extremely missing. Scenes like Megatron and Starscream on the Nemesis and whatnot are great, showing actual personalities. However most the Transformers just seem to be fodder. Focus less on the humans, more on the robots may be good. I dunno. I mean, it felt like the cast got downgraded rather than added to overall. Optimus Prime, Skids, Mudflap, Starscream, Megatron all got a lot of screentime. Everyone else? Not so much.

3.) Near the end I noticed characters just sort of disappearing with no explanation. Wheelie dropped off the face of the Earth, then both the Twins, etc. What? It just sort of bother me.

But overall I think they did a decent job. A very enjoyable movie, just.... eh, they should do better next time. Less on-the-edge humor, more personality.

4. Hand Of Omega

To be honest, the disappearance and reapearance of characters didn't really strike a cord in me. I didn't even notice to be honest.
    Has a lot to do with having just watched G1 again, where characters inexplicably drop in and out of conflicts and plots at will - obviously as a showcasing method.
    Killing off Arcee just cos he didn't like the end result of the design is crazy. They should have made her a pink and white Porsche Cayman, VW Eos, Mini Cooper S, Ford Thunderbird convertible (like Halle Berry had in 'Die Another Day') or something like that.

5. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I usually don't give my 2 cents for films, nor read into what others say since I don't really find any importance to do so, but this is one of the few times I will. I really liked this film, I'd give it a 10/10 because it did a lot of things right. Don't get me wrong, a lot of stuff pissed me the hell off, but some of the stuff I didn't find funny was made to entertain people with wide tastes who didn't watch this film because it was TF's.

First off, I let go of all my G1-fanboyism and checked it out at the door. No reason to be G-Whiner becuase this film, along with any other incarnations, except Beast Wars of course, never set themselves up to be a direct continuation of G1. I mention Beast Wars because the Beast Bots actually visit the Ark and it all took place during the original bot's slumber. This film was just inspired by G1, as good or bad as it was.

What really pissed me off was the human interactions, Sam's mom, Leo, and the lack of some of my other favorite transformers was pretty much most of the reason that made me go: "But, they could've added Ultra Magnus instead of the whole college thing..." I'm not a big Devestator fan, so seeing his cheesy ass death was alright with me, I could care less for who the hell The Fallen was, seemed like the movie was more about Prime and Sam, rather than The Fallen.

I liked the fight scenes and the dialogue. Why I gave this movie a 10, because honestly, for a freakin' movie about toys, it captured the way some people played with their toys. I remember when I was around 8-9 years old, my friends would make explosion noises with our mouths and often spit a lot from all the blowing up that we would do in our imaginations. Bam, Bay gave us a shitload of explosion, no surprise there.

Second, the violent dialogue. With Ironhide calling Demolisher a punk ass Decepticon. As well as depicting kill shots and over the top violence. I have some friends who grew up in the 80's playing with TF's and they tell me they never played in a vulgar manner that my friends and I played during the mid 90's, of course they don't speak for everyone who grew up in the 80's, but this is what made me love this movie so much. My Prime figure toppled any other toy me and my friends had, Galactus, Darth Vader, Iron Man, it was good fun. My rating is a bit bias, I know that, but I highly enjoyed it. For a movie about toys that isn't a direct continuation of G1, I loved it much more than the first. Let's face it, hardly anything can be what G1 is/was.

6. BradTheMad

BradTheMad Well-Known Member

Didn't like it as much as the first one, actually I rather disliked it. I wanted to like it but after settling down and re-viewing it in my head I had to admit it just wasn't for me.

Bad points:
    Optimus Prime was way too violent and out of character. Prime is the calm leader, not the psycho sword-wielding type. I've always been a Decepticon fan but also respected Prime because of his calm and in this movie he was just...mental. Not so much that he finally fought back, was about time actually, but that he seemed to enjoy it.

My all time favorite Megatron got neutered and was shown as a sort of rip-off Darth Vader. Even worse; he called the Fallen "master", followed him around like a puppy and the Fallen even called him apprentice! I was waiting for lightsaber sounds right there and then.
    Where's the Megatron I know and love? He was portrayed perfectly in the first movie so what happened here?

Another point which actually fits in with this one is the Fallen; wasted potential. I could have even swallowed the whole master/apprentice thing had the Fallen done more then just talk for two minutes and die in 40 seconds flat. I didn't find him threatening at all.

The pretender; wannabe Terminator, really bad...ulgh. Could have been so much better. I've never been a fan of Pretenders but I kind of liked them being socially awkward and not knowing or being able to perform errr..."biological relationships" like in the Marvel comics instead of trying to hump every single second. It was just way too obvious that she was "bad".

Decepticons really got it in this movie, which is to be expected as they always get their tailpipes kicked in some way, but this was way beyond funny. They were much too weak and were slaughtered easily whilst not a single important Autobot fell (Prime not counting but hey he came back). Ravager, Scorponok and many more, gone in a heartbeat...thought it was supposed to be their revenge?! They should have titled it "Kill all Decepticons".
    It really makes me dread the last movie as I'm afraid it will be a "good conquers all"- flick where all Decepticons die, the Autobots all survive and Sam and what's her name marry, have lots of babies and Bumblebee transforming into a children's toy car for the last half hour or something...
    I'd so prefer an open ending or the two sides having to fight together in face of a bigger threat but I guess that's just me.

Stop using names like Matrix of Leadership, the Fallen and Seekers if you make something completely else out of them. It was really confusing the heck out of me! Really I don't mind new stuff as long as it's done well and fits in.

Old Transformers walking around on a crutch?! These guys can live up to millions of years without problems but a couple of hundred years cripples Jetfire? Bay-verse gone a little too crazy for me there.
    Another thing that irked me even more; Transformer babies born in blue womb-like sacks..just NO! Is this Bay's way of "humanizing" them?

Lame humor only little boys with raging hormones will find funny. No I don't like all the so-called sex-stuff in it. Did I laugh at some things? Yeah sure but it was just too much.

The whole Witwicky the amazing hero shtick...please, I'm there to see Transformers and I honestly do not care about a single human character. They just aren't in depth enough to care about them and the whole romance thing was very badly done (bad script, even worse acting) and could have been fast-forwarded.
    Also, a human getting some trippy vision from the original Primes about sacrifice and yadda yadda was just overdone.

Good points:
    The relationship between Megs and Starscream; so wonderfully in character, especially when they retreated at the end of the movie. Loved that!
    They at least did something good with two of my favorite chars.

Soundwave; cool new design which didn't totally forgot the original character, I wooted when Ravage ejected. I also didn't really dislike the voice so much as others.

Constructicons! I loved those guys but so little screen time...would have loved to hear them talk and interact more.

The new "doctor", actually liked him and his fake German accent. Comic relief too but in a dark and twisted way which fit in.

CGI has also definitely gone up a notch from the last movie, I could tell more money (and time?) was invested. Of course they didn't have the re-invent the wheel and some of the work was already done but kudos to the CGI-artists.

7. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Didn't Cybertron have those huge jagged metallic pillars?

8. AkatsukiFan

AkatsukiFan Legendary

Movie

Who ever reads this if you didn't see the movie yet do not read the Prequel

I HAVE SPOKEN!!!!!!!!!!!:horse: 

9. Hand Of Omega

My point exactly, except some of them were lying down or broken in the shot of Megs arriving. It was a jagged, metallic 'mess'. The Hatchling chamber was kind of obvious too.
    One person I saw it with reckoned it was a planet near Earth, like Venus or Saturn, I don't know why, but its clearly Cybertron.
    Some critic in the newspaper also wrote that the Fallen resided in a paralell dimension or something. WTF? Do they actually watch the film, these... 'critics'.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    He was on Saturn or one of its many moons. The thing he stepped into was the Nemesis, or so I'm lead to believe.

Now I've seen the film four times, twice alone and twice with company. And each time I come away with a feeling worse than not liking, or loving it or even hating it. I come away not caring. There are parts of the film that are good, parts that are bad and likewise with characters but, I just feel total apathy while I'm watching it. Even though I saw the first one eight times in cinemas, the film, especially the Autobots landing never lost its awe and majesty and Megatron never felt less cool. RotF on the other hand is just so....bland and safe. Not every film must spark revolution or a new type of thought, but at least let off a few fireworks (although not the kind Mr. Bay is so fond of, we have plenty of those).

11. Hand Of Omega

What in the name of Scourge is the Nemesis? :peoples:  Thats the third time its been mentioned as part of the film. :throw 

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well, within most G1 and G1-based related canon, The Nemesis is the Decepticon Flagship, their Ark so to speak.

13. Hand Of Omega

Uh, yes, thats all well and good, except that it wasn't in the film. Neither was the Ark. :confused: 

14. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Yeeeeah, Rambo Prime rulez!

Was that awesome!

Oh man and Megan is really a hotty! *drool*

15. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I think most people just use it as the defacto name of a decepticon ship. It wasn't named, but it's easier for people just to call it that.

16. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Just got back from my fifth viewing. still amazed by the fight scenes and special effects, but the bad writing is really starting to stand out. i don't blame them though, i blame the studio for pushing it through the writer's strike. i liked the ideas behind the story a lot, but the way it came together was a little sloppy here and there.

17. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Okay. I feel a need to go a bit more in depth in my review. I'm going to review TF07, and ROTF here. (This is prompted by having just finished the first film on DVD, so it's fresh in my mind.)

TF07:

Pros:
    A lot of heart. (Sweet, charming, silly.)

Great action sequences. (The final battle is the most impressive.)

The characters. (Excellent performances all around. Especially Shia.)

The first transformations of Blackout, Bumblebee, and Optimus. (Still breathtaking, even now. They just make you take notice.)

The score. (Works so great with the film. Quite possibly the best melding of audio and video I've ever seen. The music was so much a part of the film, it felt like it was it's own lifeform.)

Cons:
    Shaky cam. (I had forgotten just how bad it really is. It's...a waste. Really.)

Story. (There is none. They're here for the Cube. Whoopity doo. Sam's life was so unimportant and boring. I get that he's a hapless loser turned hero. I just didn't need an hour of that shit. Gah. As lovely as Rachael Taylor is, and as funny as Anthony Anderson, and they're both endearing....their entire subplot was just an absolute waste. The more I watch the film, the more I see how unimportant they were. At the very least, a much shorter version of their piece of the pie would've worked just as well.)

Bounces all over the map like crazy. (One minute it's the Cube opening sequence, then it's Lennox calling his wife, then it's Blackout handing their asses to them on a silver platter, then it's Sam's life, etc. Back and forth, back and forth. Problem is, one key component is missing...the Transformers themselves. It was constant back and forth between boring and drawn out military action, and Sam's boring life, and being the constant goofus.)

Way, way too long. (A good 20-30 minutes could've been cut and saved us from one of the most boring hours in cinematical history.)

Final thought: Fun, overall. Sweet and charming in many a scene, especially Shia and Bumblebee. Heavily flawed throughout. The editing, the pace, the camera work, all help to ruin what could be a truly excellent movie. As it is, it's okay. 3.5 out 5.0 for me.

ROTF:

Pros:
    Fluid movement. (Has jump cuts, but we're used to the style by the second film, and the editing has been handled much better.)

Pace. (A few moments of downtime that could've been shortened or at the very least sped up a bit, and some of the action scenes could've been slowed down a bit. But this one wasn't boring in the first half, or the second half of the film.)

Sam's parents. (They were terrific and deserved every bit of the screentime they received. They are genuinely great characters and made the downtime parts move so much faster and smoother. A delight.)

The twins. (Charming, and full of heart. They were the underdog fighters of this film, and while their dialogue is less than acceptable, I can see why they appeal to kids. They're a lot of fun, their hearts are in the right place, and they impressed me throughout the film. They picked up the slack where Prime and Bumblebee left off from the first film and didn't bring here.)

The characters. (They were great, again. They also had a bit more depth to them this time around. Not an ocean of depth, but more than TF07. Their performances were top notch.)

The comedy and timing. (So much better than the first film. I was genuinely laughing at the funny scenes, and Sam's one liners, whereas the first movie's repeated viewings kinda killed the ha ha for me.)

The special effects. (Even better than the first film. Who thought that could even be possible?)

Cons:
    Running time. (Still a bit too long, but since the pacing has been handled better this time, it's easy enough to sit through. I could barely get through TF07 in this last viewing, and ended up having to skip a few chapters just to keep my sanity.)

Underused characters. (Wheelie, Jolt, Arcee, Sideways, all could've used a bit more screen time, a bit more dialogue, and more impact. Actions do speak louder than words, so if they didn't want to write oneliners, etc...all they had to do was have these characters have a bad ass scene that put 'em on the map.)

Optimus Prime's personality shift. (After seeing TF07, I see why people called him a punk bitch, and it's all true, he is. But now he's violent, brutal. Where's the happy medium? Why must he go from one extreme to the other? The angry Prime could've been toned down, while the fighting Prime could've been upped a bit.)

The twins. (Even though they don't bother me, I do understand why many people would be offended by them. Hell, first time I saw them, I wasn't sure what to think right away. I'm not sure that going for the stereotypes like that was such a great idea.)

Final thought... ROTF is the better of the two films, for me. Pacing, writing, characters, story, action, all of it's there and works well, but they've added more on top of it, this time. It works so much better than the first one.

Special note... I see now why the critics didn't like ROTF. Transformers did have a lot of heart and charm and the wow factor. ROTF just throws us right into the middle of a battle, Prime's not quite so warm and fuzzy, Bumblebee's brokenhearted over Sam, so he's not the chipper wiseass he used to be, the battles do seem to confuse quite easily. You're not always sure who's fighting who, or if it's even a who. The twins could easily be perceived as offensive, and no one should blame an offended person because of it. But here's something to think about. Yes, ROTF has less heart and wow factor than the first one, but it doesn't need it. We already know what the characters are like, this film focused more on expanding their universe and it did just that. Well..if you remove the wow factor and/or the heart in TF07, the critics would hate it even more than ROTF. The charm is what helped sell TF07, you take that away, and ROTF truly would've been "more of the same, just more of it on top of the current excess."

So neither film is perfect. Neither one is so terrible that they'll divide by zero or some shit. Each one has it's pluses and negatives, this is true, but ROTF is clearly the more enjoyable of the two. And the box office doesn't lie, so I'm guessing, it must be an opinion shared by many. Love whichever one you want to. I'll stick with ROTF, far more bang for my buck, and well worth the dough spent.

18. Hand Of Omega

I really have to watch it again. I didn't see a 'Decepticon Ship' of any description in the entire film, they just fell to Earth like the first film.

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with this, and pretty much everything else you said about both films. I loved the parents a great deal. I just got back from catching RotF on IMAX a second time (soooo great, and this time I sat farther up so I could tell what was going on the entire time), and still chuckled just as much at the parents (Julie White in particular). I can understand a bit that by the time her character tackled the college student that it might've been a little over the top, but only a little, if any. I hope they come back for a third film just as much as any of the other human characters.

20. Hand Of Omega

The parents were far better in ROTF than in the first film. The final battle had a good flip side to the 'don't go to college' crying mom scene with the dad not wantinf Sam to leave during the battle - also well acted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.