The One and Only Official “I have seen the movie!” Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheSpacebridge, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

rotf was kick ass i seen the 9 35 show last night and couldnt sleep last night thats how excited i was

2. Spyro

Spyro Banned

Just got back from seeing it. Thought I was gonna cry when
    Optimus Prime died.

3. ssintimidator

ssintimidator Member

I don't think we need spoiler warnings anymore, anyone c oming here sh0ould have seen it by now :)  Does anyone suggest reading the prequel novel or does it add nothing to the film that Defiance or Alliance did? Not that Alliance added much to the film.

4. FuRiOus_StyLZe

FuRiOus_StyLZe Hasbro can suck my nuts..

finally saw it...it totally kicked ass. Way better than the first one. :) 

5. Spyro

Spyro Banned

It was just a precaution. :) 

6. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

Saw it last night 3/10 Way too many subplots and plot holes to be enjoyable.

7. CarafelliusMaximus

CarafelliusMaximus G1 Junkie

Carafellius Reviews: Transformes 2.0

I'm posting this a little late. I saw the movie opening night but I've been busy and haven't managed to get a review up until now.

Initial thoughts:

Satisfying. The movie grabs you and doesn't let go. I got the same feeling after watching the Hellboy movies. It's action packed doesn't stop. Three words describe it all: Pure. Epic. Win.

In depth:

Overview
    Ok, so this is the second go around for these movies. Now until I saw it I had my doubts and I had not liked these new movies at all. However, this movie changed my opinion. They did a really nice job of reducing the human roles a little and balancing the robot to organic ratio. I loved that. It genuinely felt like Transformers. They had a great plot for this movie, much better than the first. I still don't like the character designs much, but the great storytelling overshadows it and I can deal with it.

The Transformers
    They managed to do a little more character development with the Transformers this time. Expounding further on their origins on both sides, such as the original peaceful Primes and the first Decepticon, The Fallen. Although, I'd rather see a little less focus on Skids and Mudflap, because we pretty much got their characters and they got to be a little annoying. I'm hoping maybe Ratchet and Ironhide will see a little more development as well as giving Jolt a little more screen time, although I think it's clear he's sort of taking on the role of Ratchet's assistant. They way they introduced Jetfire, tying in the fact that the Transformers had been here for as long as humans have for the most part was a nice little touch. I'm hoping they'll expand on that on the almost certain future installments, showing the other old Transformers.

Organics
    The humans were really entertaining, although Simmons and Sam's roommate were slightly unnecessary and a touch annoying. I think they were both essentially the same character. Simmons I think lost a few marbles being out of the government and in a deli, which made him obsessive. Sam's roommate was just as obsessive in the same way. So the two blended together to be similar annoying characters. Sam and Mikalea had a relationship going on and it was nice to see Sam remaining loyal to her throughout. It was great to see Epps and Lennox being liaisons to the Autobots and working directly with them. It was good use of their characters. I give the casting department props because they seem to be able to find actors who are good at playing annoying government agents that you simply hate and want to die.

SFX
    The special effects were top notch on this one as well. It's really obvious what wonders one can achieve by being granted a bigger budget. The fact that there were so few scenes with solely humans in them I can count them on one hand is great. I loved the fact that they were able to keep a Transformer on the screen 90% of the time, weather in vehicle or robot mode.

Drawbacks
    Now with all the good there does come a little bad. There was some drawbacks on the film. I didn't like what they were doing with Prime's character, he seemed a little cold hearted this time around. I'm not sure if that's from losing Jazz in the first movie or maybe if it was a result of the government work being less than appreciated, I'm not sure. The writers might have done it too so it made his "death" scene a little easier to accept, and it does make sense that his revival wasn't instantaneous and took some effort. Soundwave's voice was a unique oddity. I'm not sure who's decision it was to go with Dr. Claw. Maybe Frank Welker tried a few original G1 voices and either couldn't pull them off or felt they didn't fit right. Then again maybe the voice director didn't like the older voices and preferred the partial mix of G1 Megatron and Dr. Claw. There were a few scenes I noticed where the CG didn't quite pull it off and it looked a little less than realistic. Now with a movie like this I realize you need your major graphics going to the super important scenes. So the couple little instances of less than amazing CGI I can live with. Devastator's roll was a little awkward. It seems his only purpose as the Decepticon super weapon was to uncover the machine in the pyramid? It seems like a waste of budget and a really excellent character. They could have done so much with him, its a real shame. Perhaps though, since he was only really nailed in the torso and shoulder, maybe enough of him survived that he can make another appearance in the next movie. My only other complaint is there is not enough characters named. There was a ton of robots on screen. Usually more than one at a time. There are a lot of toys on the shelves and they all have a name to put to a face. Unfortunately if you're probably like most average audience members, you'll watch the movie before you pick up the merchandise. The lack of name dropping in the film sort of detracts from the toys. The voice actors had a lot more lines this time through and I just wish they would have inserted a few extra lines specifically naming more of the Transformers who had toys.

Final Thoughts
    Overall though, this movie is a satisfying action packed ride through a new Transformers universe. This movie really is Transformers on the big screen. This movie has a little something for everyone. It's packed full of action, it's got some mythology/archeology with the Tomb Of The Primes and the Matrix Of Leadership. It had some comedy with the Twins, and all of Sam's scenes with Alice were amusing. You would be hard pressed to find something you didn't like about it. Although I wrote a lot in the drawbacks section, really there's nothing in there that one can't deal with and by far doesn't make the movie unwatchable. I give it a perfect score 5/5 10/10 A+ etc.

I want to thank Hasbro for bringing us Transformers for over twenty years, Paramount and Dreamworks for giving these films the green light and Michael Bay for directing these amazing films. This has been a Carafellius Review.

8. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    He’s also in it. He’s the one who shoots Arcee in the face when they find Sam. It took me three times seeing the movie to catch Bonecrusher’s face but it’s him.

9. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Same here. Just got back from the 3rd viewing. I saw him this time lol. Theater was PACKED. Lots of kids with their parents. We had to sit in the front section. So much cheering and reaction it was great. 80% of the audience stood up and applauded at the end. Awesome.

10. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

This was one of the things that bothered me most about this movie. As much as I enjoyed it...seeing Constructicons walking around after Devastator was formed had me a little heated. I got over it when I remind myself that people who aren't really familiar with the universe are behind this. LOL

11. ICEPnguin

ICEPnguin Constructicon

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    maybe im just to settled with my g1 roots, im die hard old school, and to see the joke they created sharing the name devastator kinda bothered me. what did it really devastate? an old pyramid? it got its @$$ handed to it by mudflap and that character was a joke. why not bring back huffer, brawn cliffjumper instead. i know its a new take on an old thing, but at the beginning of the credits to say its based on the hasbro action figure line, and then completely change every single character doesn't add up. yeah, the movie had lots of action, and the camera moved ALOT but for me this movie looks more like something from the terminator line of movies instead. as im sure most won't agree with me, i think maybe letting pixar do an animated kinda thing would be more entertaining for me. oh well, best i can hope for is that if/when they do a third part they won't further ruin the history by creating watered down versions of great transformers past. last thing i want to see is a horrible metroplex or a crappy omega supreme or another combiner that can run around in duplicate or worst of all dinobots that get a transmetal treatment. god i hated that series.

12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    just saw it a third time today. i like it more each time i see it. all this complaining about the plot being too confusing and/or non-existent makes absolutely no sense to me. i'm baffled that people don't understand the plot. it's fairly straightforward, and it is fully explained.

i did notice a couple of continuity errors, and a couple of excusable plot holes, but nothing so big that i couldn't enjoy the GIANT FUCKING ROBOTS BEATING THE CRAP OUT OF EACH OTHER.

Michael Bay was born to direct these movies. i'm not saying they're "good movies", whatever that may or may not mean to whoever, but he is unsurpassed in his shooting of action sequences and special effects.

anyway, this movie rocked, and if you found enough "flaws" in it to cause you to not enjoy it, then i really, truly feel sorry for you, because you are missing out on something really special.

13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Spot on. Everything is spelled out through the course of the movie.

14. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finally got around to seeing it... not exactly a lighthearted romp, eh? I felt like I was repeatedly punched in the face for 2.5 hours. Jetfire's character coming across as an old fool is my only major complaint, and his historical exposition in the desert felt forced; otherwise I was totally entertained.

All the things people have been raging about for the last few days (Dev's balls, the dogs humping, pot brownies, the leg humping, the twins, etc...) got HUGE laughs from the audience, and for me did nothing to detract from the story.

Hardly a masterpiece of film, but doggonit if I didn't enjoy myself. :thumb 

15. Agonize

Agonize Decepticon

I remember when Prime got impaled by Megatron saying : "Oh shit, not again".

The way he smacked Megatron around was AWESOME!

Prime : "Weak ... waste of metal ..."

16. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking of Prime kicking Megs arse. How in the hell did he make Megatron shoot himself in the face?

I don't believe his Gun Arm has a trigger. I know I'm reading wayyyyyyyy and I mean waayyyyyy too much into it but still. The thought just popped into my head a minute age while I was on my way to the kitchen and stopped me dead in my tracks and pondered for a minute.

Megs should have been like. "........yeah that's my gun barrel......see it all the time...." :sly: 

17. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

I love the hell out of this movie. It's definitely a see-it-again flick.

My faves:

-Soundwave may not have had the vocoder, but I say big whup - he sounded creepy as is.
    -Starscream's suck-up attitude with Megatron really defined his character. His closing line was definitely a line that no other Transformer could pull off.
    -Jetfire's "old coot" persona was portrayed very well, and he remains one of my top favorite robots of the film.
    -Tony Todd as The Fallen was EPIC.
    -Skids and Mudflap are hilarious. Recently purchased Skids, and I'm still looking for Mudflap.
    -Arcee and her sisters have really grown on me. Has the thrid one's name been revealed yet?
    -The "revival of Megatron" scene was somewhat disturbing - "Ve need partz - keel ze leetle one!" *Long Haul, Mixmaster, and Rampage rip the "little one" to shreds*
    -I'd give my left arm to have Frenzy's head in a glass case. :) 
    -The Primes meeting Sam in his out-of-body experience was epic on so many levels.

Things to take note of (if they haven't been said yet):

-Barricade - why is he not in this movie? Oh wait - because he was one of the Decepticons hunted down in the past two years. :) 
    -Not that I know anything, but I'm hoping that Arcee and Chromia(?) were just wounded is all and not killed.
    -There are more Seekers out there disguised as very old vehicles - a steam locomotive is really Astrotrain (this isn't G1), a WWII tank is really Warpath, etc.
    -I would say the $100 Devastator set is on-screen accurate due to the lack of individual robot forms, but the toy doesn't have the balls to be on-screen accurate. :p 

18. Beastbot X

Beastbot X "Soiled" Himself

News Credits:
    If I didn't already have a signature, this would be it.

Actually, it seems like both the prequel novel & comic writers took pains to NOT kill Barricade. I don't know if was originally planned to be in ROTF and was cut, or if they're saving him for TF3, but he's not dead.

19. Agonize

Agonize Decepticon

Right, I've seen the movie last Friday and I'll sum up the good parts and,ofcourse, the bad ones.

- The opening scene with Optimus Prime
    - The upcoming threat of the Fallen ( as said by Demolisher )
    - Sideswipe : "Damn I'm good!", for a minute I thought he was Duke Nukem
    - Introduction of Jetfire
    - The Twins ( I liked them! "Giant robots suck!" )
    - Megatrons revival ( the Doctor was awesome! )
    * "We must have ze brain on ZE TABLE!"
    - The Forest Fight ( I yelled : NOT AGAIN! ) was just too awesome.
    * "I'll take you all on!"
    - The "death" of Optimus. He got impaled and yelled "No!".
    - The Fallen coming to Earth
    - The Decepticon Flagship Nemesis
    - The way the Goverment just closes NEST and asks the Autobots to leave
    - Devastator
    - The way Jolt and Ratchet rebuild Optimus
    - The "death" of Sam ( man, Bumblee panicked ... I fucking nearly cried )

And there's MUCH MUCH more I really liked.

I disliked the fact the ending dragged on a little TOO much. The line deliverd by Prime ( "Give me your face! ) felt a little akward. The "I rise, you fall" line made up for that.

Overall, a solid 7.5/10. Enjoyed it.

20. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I finally went to see it yesterday with my sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew and they did'nt like it. They said the story was moving too fast.

But for me, the things I was disappointed at is..

1. Soundwave's voice

2. Too much humor

3. Only one line for Sideswipe

4. Megatron answering to The Fallen.

5. Devastator really had no big role in the film

The things I like is...

1. More action than the first movie.

2. More lines for Megatron and Starscream

3. Prime more stronger and aggressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.