The official TFW Transformers 35th anniversary thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sol Fury, May 8, 2019.

1. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Well Said EmFalcon73!

I was also in the key demographic for Transformers - I was 8 years old in 1984. I didn't collect comic books so my first exposure to Transformers was probably the cartoon. I was immediately hooked after watching the MTMTE mini series. My first Transformer was Thundercracker and I can still vividly remember getting him with my dad at our local department store. In fact, I pretty much remeber how and where I got all of my Transformers as a kid - they were that special. The same cannot be said about the other toys that I got in my childhood (Star Wars, He-Man, G.I. Joe, Mask etc.) However, after watching the first few episodes of Transfomers, all I could think about was getting Soundwave - he was easily my favorite Transformer. Fortunately for me, my mom was on top of things and I got Soundwave (along with Mirage, Prowl, & Trailbreaker) for Christmas in 1984:

christmas1984.jpg
    Thanks for the flap crease Mom!

I haven't stopped since. Transformers have been a huge part of my life. There is just something magical to it - it's hard to describe. The history and characters are rich and there are just so many ways you can immerse yourself into the fandom. I don't think that I will ever stop.

Postscript: Soundwave didn't last long as my favorite Transformer - he was overtaken by Grimlock (after just seven episodes!)

I almost forgot - edgs2099 - your story had me cracking up!

• Like Like x 4
  2. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Looks like your brother wasn't so lucky. Connect Four? Do you think there is a Connect Four forum somewhere and he is having a similar conversation? Probably not!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Lol. Don't feel too bad for him - he got Optimus Prime and Sideswipe. I dont know why he was so happy about that Connect Four game.

• Like Like x 3
  4. TFfangeek

TFfangeek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I made a short video with my Transformers toys displayed as the cover of the Marvel Comic Transformers Issue #1. Please watch here:

What do you think TFW2005?
    Also....HAPPY 35TH BIRTHDAY TRANSFORMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gneric Robot Dinosaur

Gneric Robot Dinosaur General Issue

News Credits:
    This cover got me, too. And for those times, the content inside was like WHAT??? The autobots hanging upside down like corpses, Optimus' head decapitated. Crazy stuff. I was hooked.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Seeker Elite

Seeker Elite Power for ones self is all that matters.

20190509_101740.jpg
    I know that exactly what you mean about that cover. I was already hooked on Transformers at the time but I never had any intrest in comics at all until, just like you, I passed by a comic rack in a Walgreens and saw this cover and I had to have it. It stayed burnt in my memory ever since. Just 2 months ago I was in the local comic store to pick up the first issue of the new IDW Transformers new restart storyline and took a look through their dollar comics when I came across the only Transformers comic in there and it was that very one. I felt like I had just found buried treasure and almost screamed like a kid at Christmas. I immediately grab it up and now have it in my collection, and I will never let go of it. You said it right, it is iconic and I cherish it as much as any of my figures because it was a great part of my childhood.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you for sharing your story. That is definitely a special moment.

And welcome to the forums!

8. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

I first got into transformers in May of 1984, for my 6th birthday. My first transformer, and My favourite was Jazz. after that I get hazy as at one point i owned a Hound toy, but i think it was a knock-off because i remember getting it from one of those cheap houseware shops, you know the ones that sell cutlery, lamps and rugs. my next big transformer present was Ultra Magnus, Cyclonus, Kup, and Hotrod soon came afterwards. I didn't even get into the comics until 1989, time wars was my introduction to the comic world, before that i had to put up with Wide Awake Club, Wacaday, and Video rentals to get my transformers lore.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    When I was 6, my parents were still together, and I remember turning on the TV Saturday morning to channel 11, and there was this new show called Transformers. At the time I had no idea the magnitude that they would have. It was a story about transforming robots. What's really interesting is when I asked for a transforming robot, my father went looking all up and down Manhattan and managed to find one of the few transforming robots he could. A GoBots Leader 1. And of course I loved it to death, but it wasn't any of the characters I was watching on TV. And as my birthday was much later in the year, I watched many friends getting Hound or Mirage, or one lucky little kid got Metroplex. It wasn't until closer to my birthday that I got my first actual Transformers, Powermaster Joyride and DuoCon Batttletrap. A few months later, Powermaster Optimus Prime, and Cassettebots Slamdance, Triggerbot Backstreet joined the fray amongst my Star Wars, Starcom, one lone Visionary, Mask, and Starcom figures. Because I was an only child, I kept my stuff in decent shape.

Later, when I was 9, and my parents had divorced for a year, I would go into the corner store near my school and in the comic rack was a new Marvel comic, Transformers #1. It was one of my favorite titles. I'd save my allowance and buy a new comic each month that I could. Of course, it was also a bittersweet memory, because my mother in one really bad moment was so angry with me over something I did like not cleaning my room or not paying attention in school that she ripped up my Transformers 1. I taped it back together after retrieving it from the trash, and still have it. Still haven't replaced it as a reminder that some things are precious.

When I met my wife, I didn't think I'd take up collecting as a hobby again. I had been a mass comic collector, and had to stop because it became too much. I had the random figures from each time I found something cool. Rail Racer. Alternators. The occasional figure. But my wife suggested I take up collecting to keep myself busy. It was early 2007, and the live action movie was coming in a few months. So I picked up a couple movie figures. Jazz. Barricade. Leader Prime.

And I went hunting for a Camaro Bumblebee. I remember thinking, I wonder if there are places where people have spotted these figures. And that's how I came upon TFW. I know the site and its boards get a lot of flak for various reasons. But within I found a community close to where I lived. And one of the members (Superquad7) had suggested a meetup. I thought, hey that's a cool idea.

Fast forward to now. I've met more people in the communities, boards, groups than I ever would have thought possible. I've made close friends, and some great acquaintances. I've met legends in the community, unsung and otherwise (they're legends to me though). Everyone I've met have added to the experience of not just enjoying Transformers as an engineering object that can change forms, or just be fun to play with, but to actually appreciate the diverse environment, for better or worse at times. So for 35 years as a brand/franchise, Transformers have been more than just some simple figures to me. What a crazy, wild ride.

• Like Like x 3
  10. diablogunner

diablogunner Defender of the All-Spark

I got my first Transformer, JAZZ at Gibson's Department store in Las Cruces New Mexico in 1984. I was there looking for the latest GI JOE figures and was obsessed with the Porshe as a kid, so he was the one I had to have. To this day he is my favorite Transformer and character. I remember seeing the cartoon as small sets airing on the BOZO show on WGN. I recorded them with audio tapes so I could listen to them while I played with my toys. Those were the days! I have been collecting since that day. Sadly a large part of my G1 collection was in a storage facility during my teen/early 20's years and like a dummy I was broke and stopped paying the bill. Lost almost all of my G1 collection and a huge part of my classic Real American Hero stuff, including the original GI JOE headquarters and vehicles. I could kick myself now.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Berser Car

Berser Car Well-Known Member

Tumblr:
    Back in the early 90s I first watched Transformers. It was the first episode of Masterforce, I think, as I kind of remember what now seem to me like introductory scenes for the Autobot pretenders, And then the godmasters were slowly introduced the following episodes. I don't remember details of the dub other than Ginrai was called Optimus. Due to cultural osmosis or something, I knew that was the name of the Autobot leader, and it seemed weird to me that there would be a human boy with that name (years later, in my country, a kid was named after Optimus Prime, but that's not relevant for my story). I think I watched it to the last episode. I kind of remember a scene with the robots thanking the humans for taking care of their bodies, or something.
    A day later, same channel same hour, Transformers Victory began. I was confused due to the change of characters and settings. I don't remember anything about Victory except that gag of a decepticon chastising other for using a primitive gun, and the other responding by replacing his gun with an axe.
    At some point of my childhood, we rented Transformers the Movie and I finally met the original Transformers that my older cousins talked me about.
    I kind of forgot about Transformers among all other cool stuff like Power Rangers, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and others. Then one day I saw in the cable tv magazine that something called there simply "Beast Wars" was about to start on HBO. The name got me curious and I waited for it. You can imagine how my jaw dropped when I saw the intro, with the CGI, the transformations, and the Transformers title. I really enjoyed it but never got to watch the later seasons back then.
    Then came RID and Armada that I watched complete, but didn't really follow anything that came later.
    My interest in Transformers only got resparked recently, and now I am trying to watch all the old media I missed. Transformers Cyberverse was the first Transformers cartoon I followed, watching each episode as they came out. And Bumblebee was the first Transformers movie I watched in cinemas.

I think I wrote too much, but at some point I noticed I haven't mentioned my experiences with the toys so I will write separately about them down here.

As I mentioned above, my older cousins knew of Transformers, had watched it. One of them, who lived next house over, recently moved for study reasons, and my aunt gave me access to his toy box. Among them there was a robot I would later identify as Shockwave. I'm not sure anymore it was him, but anyways, my love for transforming toys begins back then.
    I never had true Transformers toys back then, but a cousin my age who always stayed for the end of the year holidays always came with a backpack full of toys, that his mom got because she worked taking care of children and the parents gave her the toys the kids discarded. They included some Transformers, like the entire Monstructor team (that I noticed could connect to each other but never managed to combine completely, some jumpstarter, and later years some BW stuff like gator Megatron, Optimus Primal, and some turtle or armadillo. I still keep the Primal he left at my house nearly a couple decades ago.

In my adult years I started to buy toys for myself, but keeping it limited until I got a room for myself (its hard to keep stuff in good condition in big family houses). Most of what I got was nostalgia based, but I didn't really get any Transformer until a couple of years ago.
    My interest in the franchise was recently resparked, and then I met a person of my same age and country who has a big collection. I would probably still have none if that hadn't influenced me. I had been looking at transformers media back then, exploring what could interest me. I learned about the Combiner Wars toyline (after it had already ended) and loved the gimmick. I found some Combiner Wars toys at low prices being sold with other old stuff, like Age of Extinction, and got some. Meanwhile I was waiting for my first current line purchases, POTP Starscream, then Jazz and Dreadwind, that had just came out and I ordered them from Ebay.
    At this point my collection is a little over 20 bots, with nothing bigger than a Voyager, but I am really proud.

TLDR: I knew Transformers as a kid and started buying as an adult.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Roadblock1977

Roadblock1977 Well-Known Member

My first Transformer ever was GRAPPLE. Got him on my 8th birthday. What a feeling! Then Christmas rolled around, and I got THRUST that same year, as well as TRACKS. Since then, I've been hooked. I still have the only one I've kept over the years: GOLDBUG. The first Transformers I started getting by myself were G2 Transformers, then Beast Wars. Since then when I found out about the secondary market, I've rebuilt my G1 collection and am quite content.

• Like Like x 3
  13. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Now that was definitely mean't to be. Fate is a funny thing! I just google imaged "Iconic Transformers comic covers" and the first cover shown is indeed the Shockwave "are all dead" cover.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Berser Car

Berser Car Well-Known Member

Tumblr:
    Forgot to mention. My toy collection has sparkled my 3-year old nephew's interest in Transformers, and last month I got him his first one, a Rescue Bots Flip Racer Optimus Prime. He loves it.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sixwing

Sixwing I'm not inclined to resign to maturity!

I wish I had the "Are All Dead" issue. I borrowed a copy from a friend once. I think that was one of the first G1 issues I read.

• Like Like x 1
  16. autumnsdescent

autumnsdescent Gridcon - Double Agent

News Credits:
    I was looking down in class, my eyes got wide, and I got excited!  I was 8 years old and in the 3rd grade in 1984.  We were in the middle of a math lesson when my friend John covertly pulled out G1 Bumblebee and Brawn in car mode.  As he quietly transformed them in front of me, I remembering thinking that I had never seen anything like those toys before.  Shortly thereafter, I found out that Transformers was a quick-moving phenomenom.  All my friends were discovering the brand at the same time I was.  My dentist\'s office even had a Transformers coloring book that introduced the main characters of both Autobots & Decepticons.  I was able to convice my mother to buy Jazz for me at the store that week.  On trying to transform him the first time, I broke the front of the car.  I didn\'t know I had broken him at the time - I thought that it just came apart in 2 pieces and then fit back together.  Again, I was 8.  (Side note - this is one of the reasons I am really impressed with the designs of many of the new TFs to where parts snap on and off so that it\'s harder to break them!)
    After Jazz came a barrage of the minibots.  By January of \'86, I had some heavy hitters like Optimus and Megatron, Shockwave, & Soundwave. I never really got the chance to pick up a lot of the mid-sized Autobot cars or Decepticon seekers.  So today, I am in love with the Masterpiece, Combiner Wars, Titans Return, & Siege lines.  I always wanted Jetfire as a kid and the Combiner Wars (Generations) Jetfire from 4 years ago is an amazing figure.  I always wanted Hound.  Siege Hound is incredible.

Today, I have a 9 year old son.  He loves TFs as much as I do.  Between the two of us, we have over 100 Transformers.  He can qoute the \'86 movie like I can.  I had no idea when I was his age that Transformers would become something I would be able to bond with my own son about.  As I read many of the stories in this thread, we all really enjoyed discovering the brand.  Who else is bonding with their own kids through this?

• Like Like x 3
  17. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 Heroic Destructicon

Functionist Universe, Cybertron, Lower Tetrahex
    YouTube:
    I actually got into transformers via a bootleg G1 DVD from china with all the seasons plus the movie (plus it was about 80% english, they didn't include the original audio for the movie) some of my first transformers toys were from The unicron trilogy(i some how owned a galaxy Convoy even though i lived nowhere near japan AND THEN LOST THE ENTIRE THING EXCEPT THE BLASTER SO IT COULD TORTURE ME), some prime, a little from the movies, about 3 kreo sets, and lots and lots of G1 KOs. But later on I kinda moved on from transformers until i accidently found and bought a CW prowl which got me back in the game. From One Red Lambo robot to an Entire universes, thousands of stories and one heck of a Fandom.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Menial

Menial Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I don’t have a childhood memory per se. I couldn’t get Transformers because girl. (Don’t do that to your daughters. That sucks.)

On a funnier note, I went to Toronto TFCon. I brought RTS Jazz and CW Prowl with me, taking pictures with them. It was fun to imagine them having adventures. My favorite pictures is with James Roberts, who graciously accept my silly idea when I asked. That made my day.

You can see that picture at the end of this album: Jazz and Prowl visit TFCon Toronto

• Like Like x 4
  19. Galvatross

Galvatross Make TFW2005 Shrektastic Again! Veteran

I remember seeing ads for re-runs of the G1 cartoon growing up, but Beast Wars is the first cartoon I sat down and watched. With a setting on prehistoric Earth, Dinobot as a dromaeosaurid, early humans, and Megatron as a T. rex, I guess you could say it was T.rextastic, because dinosaurs are one of the things more amazing than Transformers could ever be, but robots who turn into dinosaurs are also pretty cool. Beast Wars was just imaginative, and I loved it.

I never watched anything post-Beast Machines, and even Beast Machines I didn't watch much in its time (For shame on me!)...until the movies. The movies sucked me back in to Transformers. The 2007 film had robots and hot chicks, but I loved the sequels for the most part even more. RotF had more zany action and more wicked-looking robots, and DotM fascinated me even more with its depiction of the war and Sentinel and Megatron, and then AoE was even more fascinating with its themes, lore, and characters.

During the earlier live action films, I checked out other fiction I had previously missed, and I became hooked on G1. Funny enough, the episode that got me into G1 was "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court." It was so bizarre, so campy, and so much fun, that I loved it. I may not view Transformers through nostalgia, but that doesn't mean I don't love it an less. It may be incredibly silly and ridiculous, but it captures the imagination like no other fictional brand.

Get Shrekt!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

When G1 Jetfire came out, my best friend Neil was lucky enough to get one for his birthday. I can remember, as clearly as this morning, going to his house, and him showing me Jetfire. He had put it back in its huge box, but he took out it out and showed me all of it- the transformation, the armor, etc. I was green with envy. I knew I'd never have one ("Never" as defined by a 14-year-old kid.)

Neil has been living in L.A. since the mid-90s. On one of his visits back to Chicago just a couple years ago, he brought me a gift- the very same Jetfire I had lusted so badly 30 years prior. No accessories, and it was deeply yellowed into a sandy brown, but I finally had Jetfire.

If I had to save one TF from a fire, it would be a tough call between that Jetfire and my original G1 Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 4