The official TFW Transformers 35th anniversary thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sol Fury, May 8, 2019.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    This was a fun read.  Glad to hear so many memories!

I got into Transformers because of dinosaurs.  I was nuts for them and when we went to blockbuster and run out of Land Before Time and Godzilla to rent (what a great combination!), we found a Transformer tape with robot dinosaurs on it.  It was supremely awesome and I remembered the characters instantly.  It was the G2 era and none of my friends cared about Transformers but whatever, more for me!  Then Beast Wars was announced and I was stoked!  Bought the toys and then watched the show and was even more excited.  That\'s about the time when my whole elementary school went nuts for Transformers.

I remember watching the Transformers movie and thinking it was so cool.  Honestly, I always liked good villains but it was nice that the heroes had some personaility too (which wasn\'t always the case in kid\'s shows) so when Galvatron and Unicron showed up, it was the best day ever.  Not gonna lie, there were more ups than downs in TF history for me.  I trailed off TFs around the Cybertron era; bought a few but that was about it.  When Classics was announced, I was back in for good.  I have every retail release from the Generations line since (and a lot of the exclusives which let me tell you, those Botcon exclusives are stupid expensive!) and I don\'t regret any of those purchases.

I\'m excited to see what comes next.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Underlord

Underlord Pig Extreme, launch missiles!

News Credits:
    Clacton UK, where houses randomly explode
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    My first Transformer was Wideload. Even at three years old I remember being more impressed with the Snarl decoy that came with him :lol  Fortunately I got Hubcap later on who really ignited my passion for the toys.
    A lot of the bigger toys I got for Christmas, G2 Dreadwing for example, but the best Christmas was getting all four Protectorbot limbs to go with Hotspot, who I got in the summer holidays.

• Like Like x 6
  4. analogue

analogue Logically Illogical TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still remember picking up issue number 1 in the corner drug-store in the small town where I lived. I grew up in rural Idaho, so getting a hold of the toys was difficult. It was a three hour drive to the nearest store where they were sold and we only made that trip once every 5-6 weeks. But, my parents ordered me a Shack-wave from the radio shack catalog. At first I was disappointed, but when issue 4 came out, I was excited because there was my Shack-wave, in the comics - he was official in my mind. Issue 5 just cemented my love for the character and the brand from there on out. We didn't get the cartoon where I lived, so the comics were everything to me and some of the best stories that, in my opinion, were ever written about Transformers.

• Like Like x 9
  5. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Take Your Heart!

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My story came in a few parts:

I got into it when I was ~5 years old when Energon came out. I got into the cartoon and my mom surprised me with Strongarm and from there, my parents would get me a pretty decent amount of figures from that line. After a few years of collecting Legos, the 2007 movie came out, and reignited my interest. I picked up Jazz and a handful of other figures, and I got absolutely hooked on the Animated show. But even then, Legos were still my primary interest.

And then ROTF happened. I picked up Sideswipe, since he was the coolest figure of the line to me, and I kept getting more and more figures, getting ROTF Optimus for my 11th birthday, and Jetfire with my birthday cash. At that point, I was strictly a movie TF collector, until I was surprised with the Challenge at Cybertron set of figures. That's when I got into collecting outside of the movie line, and that point forward was the start of me collecting as a serious hobby.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was great to see how Transformers has, and still is, touched so many lives, so thanks for the article!

For me, it's always been the TV shows that has made me love this franchise so much, as it continues to present us a number of classic and iconic characters, with interesting stories, plot lines and animation.

My first exposure to the brand was Transformers Animated TV series; it was a great and wonderful show which I've always seen as a modern day G1, with a bit of a twist for some of the characters. I loved the animation, the art style, the settings, the stories and always seeing the transformation sequence; they seemed quite memorising to me at the time.

Nearly over a decade later, and this franchise is still one I adore very much, and thanks in part to this website, I've had the chance to appreciate the old and new TV shows, especially Transformers (1984), Beast Wars Transformers, Transformers Robots in Disguise (2001), Transformers Cybertron, Transformers Prime and Robots in Disguise (2015); and the 1986 film. I've even managed to branch out into other aspects of this franchise as well.

I look forward to the upcoming second season of Cyberverse, the future movies, video games, comics, toys and whatever they have in store for us within the next 15 years and beyond!

• Like Like x 6
  7. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Honestly, I have my older brother to thank for getting me into Transformers (as well as M.A.S.K.). We both watched the show religiously for as long as it aired. Between the two of us, we ended up getting a good amount of figures for the couple years we were both into them, too.

I still remember who had what even to this day...
    My brother had Optimus Prime, Starscream, Skywarp, Red Alert, Hot Rod, Cosmos, Wheelie, Jetfire, Kup, Brawn, Beachcomber, Warpath, Seaspray, Slag, and Swoop
    I had Bumblebee, Ultra Magnus, Smokescreen, Sunstreaker, Hoist, Sludge, Snarl, and Blurr

...Yeah, he had more Transformers than I did, but I still played with the figures he had all the same. XP We had all the Dinobots but Grimlock between the two of us, which bugged me for years.

Anyway, eventually in 1986 or so, my Dad got us for Christmas what he considered "the greatest mistake he ever bought", which was buy us a Nintendo Entertainment System. The one with R.O.B. the Robot and Zapper.
    My brother became super devoted to that over toys from then on.

As for me, I stopped caring about Transformers for a time some point after the 1986 movie (and its traumatizing scenes), probably around 1987-88, cause something new caught my attention. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I have so many fond memories of that toyline/cartoon/1990 movie.

By the early 90s, I recall seeing Transformers G2 toys on shelves and the cartoon briefly on TV, but didn't really care at that point. I was also getting to that point where I was "too old for toys", and ended up purging my toy collections out completely, embracing the Super Nintendo, Game Boy, and Sega Genesis as my new interests.

And then we get to around 1997 when I think I was looking in Toys R Us for something, and stumbled onto Beast Wars toys. A friend had told me about the show and even had some of the toys. I still wasn't really interested until I saw the Transmetal figures. As a kid I was always a sucker for chromed figures and even in my older years, I still get a kick out of seeing that stuff on toys. So with the Transmetals, here was Transformers just COVERED in chrome.
    I recall picking up Optimus Primal as a test of sorts. Once I got it home and saw how much articulation and just sheer fun these new Transformers were, I was out at TRU picking up Megatron and Cheetor a few days later. I then started to watch the show and was shocked to see how it tied into the old G1 cartoon. Not being a reboot, but a continuation/prequel! I bought (and still have) almost every Transmetal and Transmetal 2 character Hasbro made that appeared in the show.

Beast Machines nearly killed my Transformers interest again though due to the jarring redesigns and change of personalities to the characters, but then the original Robots in Disguise happened. Optimus Prime was BACK! Sure he was a fire truck, but he looked like Optimus, and the Autobots were back as well! I bought the entire line.
    Then the Unicron trilogy started, and I was fine with it, but rarely picked up any of them due to not being a fan of the gimmicks on them.

It was the Classics line we got before the 2007 movie that finally gave me the Transformers I wanted. A Megatron that turns into a gun again (albeit Nerf blaster colored), a Bumblebee, freaking ASTROTRAIN! That got me fully back into Transformers, and have been fully invested in that line throughout its many variations (Henkei, Universe, Generations, Reveal the Shield, the Prime trilogy), and the Masterpiece line with its attempts to give us dang near cartoon accurate versions of the G1 characters with their original 80s vehicle modes again only further made me happy. (We got a Masterpiece Sunstreaker!)

Now here we are in 2019, the new Siege line is giving us some of the best non-Masterpiece Transformers we've gotten yet. We've gotten characters that haven't really had all new figures of them in 30+ years like Flywheels (now named Skytread) and even Omega Supreme is coming!

I'm still all on board the Transformers train. Sure it's had its ups and downs (and way downs), but the fact that it still exists here 35 years later with new generations of kids being able to experience it. That says something about it.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    My story technically begins in 2008, when I caught a bit of Transformers: Animated on TV, specifically Transwarped. I had no idea what it was at the time, but I never really forgot it. It lingered in the back of my mind until I got my first "Transformer" in the form of the original Millennium Falcon crossover. After that was a few Power Core Combiners, but it wasn't until 2012 that I truly got invested into Transformers, when I discovered the original G1 cartoon.

Since then, I became a huge G1 fan, then re-discovered the show that subtly impacted me those many years ago, and developed an even stronger affection for it.

• Like Like x 8
  9. StArS cReAm

StArS cReAm "IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!!!"

Ever since my Dad showed me G1 when I was really little I've been in love with this franchise. Because of it I've met one of my best friends ever. Besides that the best thing so far was meeting Peter Cullen, he seemed like such a nice guy. Yet, because I'm young-ish I've still got way more opportunities ahead of me related to the franchise. Hopefully I'll have some good stories to tell on the 50th anniversary.

• Like Like x 6
  10. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    It's funny; the cartoon didn't super grab me immediately; my parents liked it better than I did. It took me a few months to get into the brand. I'm pretty sure my first one was Kickback, and I think Grimlock followed soon behind. By the time I got Grimlock, I was smitten. I had (awful) Transformers tennis shoes, all of the coloring books (but strangely, didn't know about the comics until issue twenty nine), was able to watch the cartoon (generally the same episode) twice a day (once on a local station, and later in the afternoon on a Canadian station) and things went swimmingly until, oh, 1988 or so.

I still loved Transformers, and even would occasionally be able to buy some with my own money... But at that point, the cartoon folded, and I had no idea why, even though it was shown as reruns in my area (Seattle) until probably 1990 or so. The comics became my primary focus for the next couple of years... and then there were no comics, and no toys. Thank goodness I had discovered TFUK which at least gave me something else, something tantalizing to try to find and buy.

Sure, it all came back a couple of years later with G2, but it wasn't what I wanted; I wanted things to pick up where they left off, but we got neon colors and stupid decals all over the toys I already had, and an extremely lazy rehash of the cartoon. Then, a couple of years after that petered out, we got Beast Wars, but I was very resistant to it, and retreated into trying to buy (what I considered to be REAL) Transformers off of friends and garage sales and the like. Fortunately, the internet and burgeoning fandom led me to discover the Japanese toys (and media), Beast Wars got a lot better in a hurry, and fan media like Continued Generation 2 helped keep my love alive. By then, I was a young adult, and even if there have been plenty of stumbling blocks along the way, Transformers, in some way, shape or form will always be around, and that feels pretty good to someone who felt like they had died more than once.

As far as a specific childhood Transformers memory... A couple of things come to mind. One was my eighth birthday, where my parents had got me no presents, instead opting to let me go wild in the toy store and buy literally anything I wanted. They never did anything like that again, and we weren't exactly a rich family, but we were very firmly middle upper class, so I was usually treated very, very well on birthdays. That night I got Metroplex, Galvatron, Rodimus, Kup, Blurr, a Sharkticon and maybe a couple of others in an orgy of spending not unlike winning a spending spree. Complete spoiling, but you know, I still have 'em all.

The other Transformers memory that springs to mind was also a birthday, probably the next year. I don't know how this worked, and 30 plus years might be coloring my memory, but I sent in robot points for Reflector... and somehow, I recall the mailman bringing him / them on my birthday, as if Hasbro waited to make sure I got it on my special day. Surely a massive coincidence (I don't think they asked you for your birthdate when you sent in a mail order), but something that made me feel warm and fuzzy towards Hasbro and Transformers.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I remember as I kid I went to my cousin place, he had a bunch of minibots and insecticons in his room. I freaking loved Beachcomber. It was my favorite bot. Every week after that I would get one for myself with the allowance money I would get from my parents. I remember finally got Blaster on Christmas as a kid. So cool. Right before hight school I gave alway all my transformers to kids on the block. In high school in my sophomore year, I started getting into comic, I started collecting like every Toy Biz action figure, however I went to my friend's place and he had a bunch of transformers I remember having them and I started trading my Marvel figures for transformers. I got hooked. I started going to every yard sale and flea markets I could find looking for vintage transformers, I started re-watching all the cartoons I watched as a kid. I went to a store called Play with This at the Pennsauken Mart in New Jersey. I purchased a complete dead mint G1 Slag and Twintwist. The owner of the shop Scott was taking to a customer and mention ebay. I quickly got on ebay and starting buying transformers lots like crazy. So yeah, years of collecting, years of cons, toy shows, yard sales and flea markets. I wish it wasn't going to rain this weekend, I will go out on the hunt too.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    What a great read, can\'t believe that Transformers is now over 35 years old now and I can\'t wait to see where it goes from here.

I was in middle school when the first Transformers movie came out, at the time I got into when after getting an Optimus Prime toy from Burger King. I asked my Dad on the way home if he knew anything about Transformers and he\'d tell me the stories of seeing the cartoon on the TV during the 80s with my older brothers. I became curious as I normaly am and started to browse Tfwiki daily taking in all the information I could get. I remember renting the first season of the G1 cartoon at a DVD rental store and seeing the first Michael Bay film. Afterwards I got my first Transformer which was the deluxe Barricade & Frenzy. I grew up with Transformers and while at first my Dad didn\'t understand as I got older why I liked to collect toys I didn\'t stop. I grew up with the Bayformer films and when the Prime cartoon came out that was the pinacle of Transformers for me, watching the cartoon, reading the comics I got off Amazon, playing Fall of Cybertron and of course Botcon.

My favorite memory to come out of Transformers has to do with Botcon, I went to Botcon 2011 & Botcon 2013. I grew up in a rural area and am not the most social person so I didn\'t have many friends. Growing up in a rural area I didn\'t know many nerds or collectors like me and at the time I spent a lot of time hiding my true self in school for fear of being ridculed for still playing and collecting with toys. Just the fun time I spent with my Dad in Pasedena & San Diego are fun memories worth remember but then meeting in person hundreds of people who shared a common interest like me really made the two conventions some of the best memories I\'ll cherish to my grave. I still remember standing in line at Botcon 2013 transforming the new Machine Wars Starscream they did out of HFTD Terradive, that figure got me spending the whole wait time talking to the guy standing behind me in line about what we liked about Transformers and about Starscream (who has since become my favorite character thanks to the Armada cartoon I watched on YouTube).

Even though my focus has turned more towards Marvel and the MCU, I will never grow out of Transformers as it helped shaped who I am. If it wasn\'t for Transformers I might not even be the same person I am today.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Sam's_Bee

Sam's_Bee College Autobot

I still remember finding Soundwave at a neighbors yard sale and praying he'd still be there when I ran home (two blocks over). To ask if I could get into my piggy bank and ask for a loan if needed. My mom fronted me the money but gently warned me that if he was broken I'd have to live with it. Hauled my ass back and there he was still in the box of odds n ends toys.

Walking up to ask how much was a huge undertaking for me as I stutter and it was particularly bad at that moment. To my utter horror, the lady said she'd have to ask her son first. She disappeared into the house with Soundwave in tow and I waited and waited. Fearing he was gone but luck was on my side as she returned. One of the best moments of my childhood was when she gave him to me in exchange for my hard earned money (stashed from doing chores).

Because my family was working poor that was the only TF toy I owned till the live action movies brought me back into the franchise. I never watched the original animated show because we didn't get that channel. But there was hand me down picture books featuring various episodes. Bee was my favorite but the lessons Optimus taught me struck a chord. Here was a giant alien being that could have easily laid waste to earth but he didn't. Instead, he tried to do what was best for his family, that his size didn't equal an evil and destructive being.

For a child with very little agency coming from an abusive environment it was a powerful message. That's stayed with me for thirty some odd years later.

• Like Like x 6
  14. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sex with me, so amazing

A war that been waging between 2 alien races expanded to be one of the most loved toylines of all time.
    Till All Are One.

• Like Like x 4
  15. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Few things last long enough for a kid to grow up and have a son that loves the same thing because it is still relevant to him. Even if I put all of my Transformers in a box and never showed them to my son, he would have grown up loving Transformers. You can kind of claim Star Wars, but even though my son does like Star Wars, the Lucas films ended four years before he was born and the new trilogy doesn't excite him the way Star Wars did when I was a kid in the '80s.

That is the lasting legacy of Transformers. Not G1, Beast Wars, Bayverse, etc. But that a single story and a toyline has stayed relevant to different generations without being forced or prodded by anyone.

G1 and Siege Optimus are 35 years apart, but still mean the exact same thing to an eight year old kid.

• Like Like x 9
  16. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    The year 1991 a slight glow can be seen from the living room a young child the age of 5 staring into the tv with the sound down in the fear of god his parents would turn off the tv, i use to love tv but then it happened my first ever episode of transformers, a flame was lite so bright no one could stop it, every morning and every afternoon it was transformers, my father would would say its just transformers the play the same episode in the morning and at night i didnt care.

then the end of season 2 happened i but i didnt know it as season 2 and the intro changed Rodimusprime, my god if they thought i was crazy about the toyline back then they had no idea what was about to happen i went crazy for it, a pleded for some transformers and they brought me the MIGHTY DEVASTATOR in all his glorias G2 colouring, i still wanted hotrod but my god i was happy with him, the rest of my childhood was blurr of samari pizza cats, transformers, heman, voltron, street sharks, tmnt, metabots, and dragon ball z.

i still renember it, i was about 10 BEAST WARS, i seen them on the shelf first my mum seen in my hands optimusprimal and megatron 2 pack and her words where OH GOD THEY ARE BACK, then the show happend and it was Transformers all over again.

then high school happend and it was all Pokemon and Dragon ball z for me, then one faithfull day i got my first pay check, i went into town thinking what am i going to buy myself there siting on the shelf highly discounted was a RID Optimusprime, i brought it, then i brought some more, and some more and i had a small amount and was happy.

D DAY, the sirens where blurring and armageddon had come i was in town looking for a present for my friend and there i seen it Optimusprime Megatron Jetfire, Bumblebee, rodimus, starscream and astrotrain you guessed it Classics 1.0 had hit and i had to know more i looked and looked then i found this website along with tfnz and i asked where to buy transformers from and i got recommended BBTS with a very frightend credit card and some saved up money i took the risk and brought some transformers this is of course some time after classics 1.0, i had pokemon fever agian.

10+ years later 1480 toys, i feel my collecting days are behind me, this is ssjkazer and i send this message to the fandom if you are just starting dont, run the other way, it sucks the money right out of you.,

• Like Like x 4
  17. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    I didn’t discover Transformers until I was 10 in 2008. I was mostly on a “sci-fi high” (I liked alien films like War of the Worlds and those B-movies that premiered on the SyFy channel) when I discovered the first movie. I thought it was just another one of those SyFy films, but it also had the dude from “Vegas” (Josh Duhamel) and the guy from Holes and Even Stevens (Shia) so I figured I’d ask my parents for it. I immediately fell in love with the movie and I got excited when the teaser for the second movie was released in early 2009. And after a lot of convincing, I managed to get my parents to watch it and they’ve been fans of the films since. It even became a tradition for my dad and I to go to the movies and see the new Transformers film whenever one came out.

My most favorite memory is from Christmas 2009 when I got the leader class Optimus Prime. That figure was a major pain in the ass to transform, especially for a kid who was only 11 at the time, but I loved it. The toy was so good looking that it looked like it just stepped out of the screen and into my hands. My other favorite memory is walking down the toy aisle whenever my family and I went to Walmart and seeing all of the figures. As I’ve said in other threads, 2009-2011 will forever be the golden era of Transformers. The palstic quality was amazing, the paint apps were top notch, the designs were unique and the shelves were almost always fully stocked.

I continue to be somewhat excited for new toy lines and releases (I say somewhat because, if I’m being honest, the new toylines as of late are just G1 with some sort of twist). But, my god, I love this brand so much and I’m just thankful to have discovered it and to be a part of it.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Kafei

Kafei Fan of the robots

Good stories, makes me want to share mine.
    When i was little G1 Transformers reruns were just starting to disappear, one of my earliest memories as a little kid is watching robots transform while sitting on a giant couch.
    I also remember my grandma buying me my first TF, a Slingshot, while visiting her during the summer, and after that my parents got me a G2 Gearhead, i played with those all the time.

I only had those two for the longest time, and also while visiting my parents friends i used to play with their son, he was older than me and always let me play with his G1 Optimus and G2 Megatron, i remember thinking that the giant green and purple tank was the coolest thing ever, and Prime was amazing i remembered him from the show and i wanted to have one of him, but the G1 toys hadn't been around for years by that point, but to my surprise my parents found for my birthday the next best thing, an that was Thunderclash, all white and gold and amazing, he was my Optimus, i remember transforming him a lot, it was the biggest and most "complicated" Transformer i owned by that point, and the base mode was the best.

From those years i only have Gearhead left, the others exploded gradually i don't remember if Thunderclash died of GPS.
    After that when i was in school Beast Wars appeared, i loved the show and this time i was there for the first toys, my best Christmas ever is still when i got both Primal (that was called Black Jack over here) and Megatron as a present, and to this day i still have both of them in storage complete of all accessories, even with all the play they still look pristine, i took it as a sign that i had to preserve them, maybe to give as a present to someone else someday.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    “can I transform you from my girlfriend into my wife?”

Oh, how I wish this story was true!

• Like Like x 4
  20. DPrime83

DPrime83 Well-Known Member

Lovely words and sweet memories. Till all are one. 

• Like Like x 5