The Official Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capirus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

I get that it'd be nice if Cliffjumper 'just transformed' but FFS, how many figures don't and historically didn't?

How many figures would you display without their weapons?

And my avatar's a good place for consideration... But think Siege Astrotrain and Apeface's alt modes if you want something more recent.

While I'm 'ranting', the obligatory reminder that Hasbro don't give a tuppeny fuck if X doesn't really scale with Y that you bought years ago, or that you won't buy something 'again' as a result. Enough people will as a general rule. The whole 'We don't need character X because...' is just nonsense. If you don't want it, cool, but someone else does. And half the people saying it will likely buy it anyway!

If you really don't like something, don't buy it. If you're 'right' Hasbro will soon learn. But you're gonna find more often than not you're 'wrong' I suspect.

Just as a final sum-up, a truly new collector isn't likely to know or care about previous figures, lines, history, whatever. They just saw a cool-looking robot at some point and maybe bought it. I mean seriously, what are they to make of all the acronyms used in a single page of a thread, for instance? People just want cool toys, and some of us uber fans go quite some way to accidentally put them off. Hell, that's likely true of people coming back to the fold.

• Like Like x 10
  2. transfan32

transfan32 “Dare to believe......”

If you don’t like a figure, don’t buy the figure. If you’ve got the time, money, resources, and energy to build a better toy, be my guest. Otherwise, buy or don’t buy, because this is all we’re getting folks. But don’t bash someone else for not agreeing with your opinion that the toy is complete shit. That’s not what constructive criticism and debate is all about. If you’re aware that your opinions can change, your an open-minded individual who is willing to have healthy conversation about the aforementioned critique and debate. If you believe your opinion is absolute, undeniable fact and everyone else is wrong, then you’re just an unwavering closed-minded asshole.

• Like Like x 12
  3. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Scale has to be THE dullest debate ever on this site.

• Like Like x 15
  4. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    I'd love a legends carbot line that kept scale with deluxe-voyager trains and jets, though.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Prime of Shadows

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Oh I love scale, I just hate debating it :lol 

• Like Like x 6
  6. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    For sure

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

100% It's theft, no way around it. The argument that cheap KOs prove that official products are overpriced is completely ignorant of the cost of the business of making toys, the r&d behind their production. I feel the same way about pirating music, movies, and comics.

Fans who post about how they hope something happens to a franchise/product in order to spite another segment of the fandom come across as incredibly sad and pathetic. How small and bitter those people are.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 11
  8. Prime of Shadows

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Couldn’t have said it better myself.

• Like Like x 4
  9. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It irritates me that every Earthrise figure has something deliberately wrong with them. On top of that, there's talk of another price increase. We already had a 15% hike from POTP to Siege and they're right back to cutting corners again like it was all for nothing.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  10. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Source? or are you one of those internet experts?

Years ago, I've actually worked in relation to patents, copyrights and trademarks, where I'd see the development, blueprints, etc. and the numbers were quite available to myself. I've actually seen the paperwork for several toys, which were popular action figures of the time (to be released).

And even with inflation, the numbers were very low in relation to the MSRP, and the profit margin was quite high, so you should consider such matters, before you start assuming and make your unfounded accusations or "assumptions".

And by source, provide figures, resources, detailed analysis of the impact of KO sales againt Hasbro, price differentials with cost analysis for the material used by Hasbro and the KO companies. Don't bother with article links either, you need to provide actual data.

• Like Like x 3
  11. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    Reading through the Earthrise discussion thread were you?

• Like Like x 2
  12. transfan32

transfan32 “Dare to believe......”

That and the KO thread.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less about major companies like Hasbro having their products knocked off. The concern I face within myself is being a consumer of products I know are produced under less than ethical standards. AKA the rotten truth of capitalism.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Fallout

Fallout i can't hear a thing on the radio

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    calling someone or a group of people "armchair [occupation]" because they question hasbro's business tactics or anything alonge those lines is dumb as hell. we're the consumers, we can speculate on n criticize the things we're spending money on.

...especially because 90% of the time, the ones leveraging the "armchair [occupation]" insult are sticking up for the criticized party as if they get a cut of of the profits or something.

• Like Like x 5
  15. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So KOs arent theft?

• Like Like x 1
  16. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you seen the AOE scale chart thread? There was a big debate there about whether Bumblebee in the Bee movie is 11 or 15ft tall. One guy even made a whole new size chart and brought up an official letter from a Hasbro representative just to prove their point.

Not that I'm blasting them, it's just funny how much a mere number can drive so many of us totally insane.

I've been and am in several fandoms besides Transformers like Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Mario, Minecraft, and FNaF and I don't see anyone there debating scale as much as we Transformers fans do :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  17. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Read my previous post (which the veiled attack from the other member was most likely about)
    The Official Rant Thread

And note that I am not defending KOs but understand the why they exist regardless of any opinion if they should exist or not. I just don't jump to an extreme and restrictive point of view. I actually take all various aspects of a situation in consideration.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. Main reason I had to get a KO DOTM leadfoot if I wanted the charecter since Hasbro couldnt be bothered to push the real deal out stateside

19. Prime of Shadows

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Not to jump in here, but I am sort of indirectly involved in this topic, so I’d just like to plug that I did not “just jump” to an extreme point of view. I firmly believe that KOs are wrong because they’re illegal and morally reprehensible. I’m aware of the repercussions their presence has on the TF market, and I’m against the ultimate culmination of that presence (namely, the reduction of profits for the designer company and the potential to cancel whatever line is being KOd. I’m not saying that will happen, but it could if KOs received enough support). That’s my rant.

• Like Like x 4
  20. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not exactly true. Hasbro planned to release him as a Target exclusive 2-pack with Topspin, but their stupid business decisions at the time (like overstocking Wave 1 and making too many Bees) forced them to cancel that along with Deluxe Soundwave, Wheeljack, HA Soundwave, and the Movie Trilogy series.

Leadfoot (DOTM) - Transformers Wiki