The Official Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capirus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Veridioz

Veridioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Super megatron, The 35th anniversary megatron, Core megatron, mpm and mp36 megatro even the shattered glass version can be reissued. it feels odd that the only massive release for the main bad guy for the anniversary is the concept art version.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Powerbomb

Powerbomb pERceptor NOT pREceptor!

I grew up with TF...I love TF.

But I'm tired of TF.

The Magic is (mostly) gone. It's too 'big' now. Ditto for Doctor Who, & Star Trek.

Once the movies came around, when crap like 'masked singer' has an episode about TF...When the cartoons aren't fun like Beast Wars & Animated.

Hell I love Beast Machines too, because it's so weird. Even the mostly terrible marvel comics were fun...at times.

*sighs*

• Like Like x 5
  3. Denzimus

Denzimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think we're about to be in the stabe where we get some Megatron figures honestly. There's a few listing's for him next year.

4. Powerbomb

Powerbomb pERceptor NOT pREceptor!

Missing Link Megatron.

The only question is, when.

5. Traffic Cone

Traffic Cone TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I recently picked up Gears. He is a really neat little figure, but he got me thinking...

When Hasbro first started this deluxe-class minibots trend with ER Cliffjumper, I kept hearing that they were compensating for his small size with his engineering and his accessories. So what happened to all of that? Gears' transformation is about as simple as they come; it's not a bad transformation, but it can be done in seconds. And for accessories he gets... a gun. No, his chest plate does not count as an accessory. There's nothing else that makes Gears seem like he got any extra TLC for his budget. Even Beachcomber got some premium treatment with the pinned wheels and rubberized tires. So is Hasbro just done trying to justify the deluxe price point for these? It seems like now they reasoning is just "Hey, you want a good minibot don't you?". I had a similar feeling with SS86 Brawn, and I fear that this is all we can expect from minibots going forward.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Inflation really is a thing. And as much as Hasbro has raised the prices of the figures, the cost of production has also increased. Hasbro has tried to cut costs while keeping the figures of (mostly) good quality by filling out waves with package refreshes, but they have also cut back on some bits. For example, Grimlock and Slag both came with minifigs but we haven't seen that (crap) Wheelie mold in a while even though Grimlock's had multiple re-issues at the same price. Sludge and Snarl didn't get minifgis, and now the last Dinobot, Swoop, is significantly smaller and simpler than his teammates but sells for the same price. I know he comes with the swords (which should have been with their proper owners in the first place), but those are very inexpensive toss ins.

The other thing is this: Cliffjumper worked. It showed Hasbro that the Deluxe-sized mini-bots will sell. Warpath sold. Huffer sold. Cosmos definitely sold. So did Beachcomber. And after the Kingdom artwork was shown, fans have been salivating over Gears for 3 years. They likely realized they don't need to do the song and dance about justifying the price anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Traffic Cone

Traffic Cone TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    In other words, yes, Hasbro is done trying to justify the deluxe price point for minibots. They are smaller than other figures for the same price, because they know people will pay for it.

I get that inflation is a real thing. It's also a convenient excuse. Fortunately for companies, it's virtually impossible for the average consumer to know whether price increases or quality declines are due to inflation or simple profit seeking. Across our entire economy, there is ample evidence that some companies have used inflation as an excuse. Im not saying that they're all doing it, but some are, enough to make that explanation a bitter pill to swallow. Whether or not this is the result of inflation, I still think it sucks that there's just a subset of deluxes where you have to just accept that you're getting less for you money.

• Like Like x 4
  8. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Voyager Class

News Credits:
    Because they barely justify his size. It's all nothing but copium and corporate simping in the same category as "parts count" and "character" (whatever that dumb shit meant).

It's insulting enough that he cost what Voyagers used to go for 10 years prior. It's like rubbing salt into the wound that he's also the size of a Scout Class figure which, by the way, was around $8 in 2009. Hasbro really had the audacity to call a Scout Class a Deluxe and sell it at 150% markup for what, exactly?

Cliffjumper was a figure made a year too early. Had he come out a year later when Hasbro introduced the Core Class they would've had NO excuse not to sell him and Animated Bumblebee as Cores.

Admittedly, however, I don't feel like Gears and Brawn are quite small enough to be Cores. They're still sizeably bigger than Cliffjumper, who was in a class of his own when it came to size (10cm). I own neither figure, but the pictures I've seen suggest they're around the size of SS-18 and BB Cliffjumper. So... 11-12cm tall, perhaps. I'm fine with them being Deluxes, but I wouldn't object if they had their own size class below the Deluxes but above the Cores.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mister D

You cannot possibly look at Cliffjumper and Bumblebee and think those could have been done at a core price point.

• Like Like x 6
  10. GitGudGabe

GitGudGabe v e h i c o n

News Credits:
    Evolution leaders getting marked down to 35 at target says it all.
    Hasbro has been trying to market the cost cutting "shrinkflation" as "parts count" and complexity, but the consumer ain't buying it. Why do you think they've started covering up leader boxes? It's so that the layman can't see the disappointingly small figure inside. And there's an example for each price.
    • Deluxe minibots- cliffjumper came with a large accessory and two small ones, as did Huffer. Brawn, and gears, contrarily, just have one small one, and nothing else.
    • Voyager has been the least effected, but there's still a bit of shinkage. Remember how many accessories Seige voyagers had? And don't get me started on gamer edition. But as a direct example- hot rod had a lot of accessories, and a visor gimmick. Override and 86 Ironhide, two smaller voyagers, have one accessory and no gimmick- when both had opportunities to (cyber planet key or retractable hands for ironhide)
    • Leaders are hit the hardest by this. The dinobots are the only leaders that resemble the old price point. Evolution Megatron is barely bigger than previous voyagers, yet has weird shoulders, no accessories, and few moving parts that don't facilitate burning Megatron. While Skyquake is bigger, he's nowhere near the dinobots, and only has two accessories, which are far less impressive than his on-screen counterpart's. Sandstorm is easily the worst offender, being a Voyager that adds value with... Rubber tires, a winch, and a cage? Hell, we're getting a leader Springer, when Seige gave us a reasonably screen accurate one with 4 accessories at Voyager!
    • Commander, while being the least effected, could easily go this way. Ultra Magnus does not have nearly as much going on as Armada Prime, but he costs the same. He very well could have, but is a lot less ambitious. I hope the price point is more Armada Prime and Magmatron than MP lite or lapping combiner wars

. Does anyone use his corpse mode?
    And don't even get me started on those nimrods who want a Voyager Arcee,

• Like Like x 3
  11. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

I didn't realise Hasbro had come around and removed all those things from our houses! That's intoler...

...hang on, all my DVDs and comics are still here, enabling me to enjoy those things whenever I want. How strange...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

No need to start insulting fans for wanting something.

Besides, we're all a little like Nimrod when hunting for Transformers.

13. Jeeaxus

Jeeaxus J->E Translator, Comics Fan, Recent Collector

Instagram:
    I had to transform Takara 2010 Unicron back and forth for a photoshoot tonight, and I can't believe people wanted something even bigger and more fiddly than this.

Last edited: May 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  14. GitGudGabe

GitGudGabe v e h i c o n

News Credits:
    Bible pun- well played, sir!

• Like Like x 1
  15. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Voyager Class

News Credits:
    Assuming Cores are basically the Scouts of the 2010s, they absolutely can.
    IMG_1101.jpeg IMG_1100.jpeg
    If this were 2009, Cliffjumper would have had absolutely no business being in the same size class as a typical ROTF-era Deluxe. I admit we'd lose a bit of "quality" (accessories, mainly), but Hasbro would lose far more in terms of their profit margins every time a CJ is sold.
    What else can I say? The plebs yearn to have their wallets squeezed by their corporate idols.

Hasbro could start selling Bumblebee as a Leader 20 years from now and we'd still have folks here proudly telling the world they just pre-ordered him off of Amazon for $70 before shipping.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sophora

sophora Well-Known Member

But there's also improved articulation, waists, wrists, and ankle joint. Such things need increased parts counts, older legends class would most likely omit such articulation. It's funny when people speculate how far Hasbro will go with price increases while also removing features.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Budgieking

Budgieking Avian knight

News Credits:
    So... i recently bought a legacy metroplex at a used toy shop, for cheap, and only after did i notice that it was missing a ratchet in his ab crunch, ended up ordered a brand new one from amazon, and it somehow was also missing the same ratchet...

How the fuck does something like this happen twice?!?

I have Already returned the one, and now am doing some experementning to try to tighten the other, however i am extremely doubtful anything going to work...

both bummed, and extremely pissed...

QC for titan figures should not be this bad...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it was a crapshoot in that some copies are borked and the ab crunch just doesn't work at all, and some copies were fine and fully functional. I'm in the latter camp, but even at the roughly 50% price I paid I'd be super pissed if that joint didn't hold.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mister D

The cores are absolutely not the same as the Scout class. They are more akin to the old legends class figures.

• Like Like x 4
  20. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Precisely what I was going to say. Scout is probably about 75% of a modern Deluxe.

Soon to be 1:1 comparable, most likely. But don’t worry, the Scout-sized Deluxes will still have ankle tilts, so they’ll totally be worth the $35 they’ll cost at that point. /s

• Like Like x 5