The Official Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capirus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    FEDi.gif

It's the lack of support at retail prices. End of story.

You don't purchase, we don't order. I think alot of people out there learned a hard lesson about whether distribution was a supply problem or a demand problem. I just happen to be one that won't shut up about it.

Don't even get me started on eBay. You CANNOT order toys from a distributor, sell for retail price, and turn a profit there. Even if every toy in every case was good, the math doesn't work. And that's before the shenannigans of placeholder preorders, embargos, swappers, reissues, do-overs, etc. People that just buy toys don't get it. It's a venture that takes something you're passionate about, takes a dump right on it, and then strangers lend a hand to rub it in so the stain never comes out.

The reason you don't have eBay alternatives? Because they all make the same mistakes that eBay makes and often doubles down on them.

• eBay's commission is killer. 99% of competitors come out with a higher take rate.
    • People don't like or can't use PayPal. 99% of competitors only offer PayPal.
    • Monthly fees. eBay pimps Stores because they can't deliver the traffic necessary to make listing fees palatable. Oh, and did I mention, those are on top of, not instead of, commission fees?

I had an eBay store when they were $20 per month. It was not even revenue neutral, meaning that I didn't see an additional $240 in sales to offset the $240 in rental fees. Months where eBay brought me no customers at all, they still took their $20. I left that store open through two Christmases with no uptick in traffic. All it did was up their take rate from ~18% to ~27% for the year.

Online rental fees now are in the $30-$50 range! Truth be told, a decently sized/priced show is almost always a better investment than equivalent dollars in online rent. It's positively mind blowing that $90 for a weekend in Philadelphia delivers more sales than six months in front of a worldwide audience.

• Shipping is killer. Half of venues only support flat shipping. Or underfunded marketplace-dictated shipping. Or, like Amazon, both.

Sellers have NO control over shipping. It costs what it costs. And when some asshole academy like Amazon comes along with $4 rates, three things happen. We ship your crap in envelopes. We pad the item price to make up the shortfall (and it's always to the maximum possible because we have no control over _where_ customers come from). We take our stuff somewhere else. And when every marketplace has the same braindead shipping setup, that somewhere else is BST forums, toy shows, and flea markets. If you're in a shit area that let all of your toy stores and comic shops close because they were 50 cents more than Walmart, good luck with the latter two. God damn, I wouldn't be driving to the far ends of my state and beyond if Harrisburg had a functioning collector community, that's for damned sure.

• They drown sellers in rules. It's a hobby business for some of us. We can't ship your Sunday night order Monday morning. We can't eat a return if you decide Tesla's shoulders are "too heroic" after you've opened the box. It's damned hard to replace parts when you can't order enough to absorb the occasional QC error and the distributor and manufacturer point fingers at each other for more widespread issues. Half the time we can't even contact you, with questions or suggestions, because the Gestapo reads and censors all communication. And then there are the thieves, that on Amazon, get their money back even if you have a photo of the mailman handing them the box. You can't even block those assholes from doing it again and again and again.

• After all they do to chase sellers away, they unsurprisingly end up with no selection. My test for whether a marketplace is worth bothering with is to search a few items and see what comes up. If I don't find any GoBots, that's a huge red flag. For others, it might be no hits for "Star Trek" or "Fans Toys." Well, you know how often I check those sites? Once or twice a year. Sellers can't afford to waste time on marketplaces that people only check once or twice a year. It's a vicious circle.

Those markets are only even remotely viable when supply dries up and people are scrambling and _if_ they can find them through a Google search. The hard truth is, though, that people willing to spend money preordered or bought at Target when it came out. The people searching at the end are mostly bargain hunters and their value, from a business perspective, is directly proportional to their desperation. In the age of constant reissues and do-overs, that's in short supply. Even if it weren't, I found it difficult to take advantage and usually just took stuff off the market instead.
    Oh, and this isn't exclusively market related, but WTF ever happened to money orders and personal checks? You've added a minimum of 4% cost onto everything you buy by only using PayPal. Hell, I eat that fee when I offer Square*, and I can never get anybody to take me up on that. I know I've been typing out S-Q-U-A-R-E but people must read "PrinceOfNigeriaBankTransfers.BIZ" or something.

*Processors are idiots about multiple revenue streams. They only allow one bank account per e-mail account. So, in order to keep sales channels separate, you have to find other processors. Incidentally, this is what makes every venue only offering PayPal so hard. Anyway, I chose Square for P2P so that's what I ask for in BST posts.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Feed my eyes (Now you've sewn them shut)

News Credits:
    The "vacuum bots/cons" (as I like to call them) that started popping up during G1 season 3. Completely useless crap. I'm looking at you, Duocons, Throttlebots,

3. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    I second this! And would go further to suggest that the mold mates Misfire and Slugslinger are great as well.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

SS DOTM Megatron....... what the hell were they thinking?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Oh, do I have some TF steam to get off...

Combiner wars are impossible to get nowadays due to uber high prices. As a new collector, I can't bite for obvious scams.

The remolds also got to a point where there were some real duds in the PW trilogy. Starscream, Dreadwind/Darkwing, Menasor, Cyclonus, Galvatron, and The dinobots come to mind.

I love the movie designs but I've wasted $40 on Studio series crap like Beetle bee and dropkick. I feel burned.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube (Old):
    It’s like they couldn’t be bothered to come up with one (1) new mold.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Darkwing /Dreadwind were two of the best toys in potp.
    Cyclonus was a great improvement over the Universe mold.
    It would have been cool if they had gotten dedicated molds, but that's no guarantee for a great toy.
    And I far prefer an ingenious retool to battle damage.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    My ass, That is the best official Cyclonus, great articulation, target master, screen accurate.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube (Old):
    Agreed, they just needed to perhaps scale him up to a voyager. I really want a Scourge in the same vein (voyager class, G1 shape, actual targetmaster)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    Yeah, Galvatron, Cyclonus and scourge all the same height.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Then Hasbro should base their design for the next chug Cyclonus on your ass.
    I'm not above buying a new chug Cyclonus if it's as good as you claim.

12. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    Have you owned universe cyclonus???

13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I have him. It's not that I don't like him, but there are things that bother me about him that I think CW does better.
    I think he looks cool in altmode for the most part and he's got a fun transformation.
    I won't say the CW is perfect, but I'm happier with it as my chug Cyclonus... Plus Universe's Nightstick obviously :) 
    Universe Cyclonus is impersonating FFOD4 Prima on my Sunbow Primes shelf with Vector Prime's big ass sword in his hands.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

The weird thing about combiner wars is that the deluxes are more expensive than the voyagers. Also most of the time the combiner is being sold together. I don’t know if asking for just one or two parts of a combiner that someone is selling is a dick thing to do or not. I’ve been trying to find a cw fireflight and skydive since 2016, haven’t given up hope.

• Like Like x 2
  15. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I would seriously suggest you buy the Unite Warriors Superion reissue while it's still cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  16. LarELar

LarELar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or they could venture on ‘the dark side’ of this site to find sellers on AE, where the cool become brave...:cool: 
    A while back, I wanted another groove and went that route... Ended up getting 5 figures for the price of 2.

17. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus 9 Great Demon Generals progress: 3/9

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's something that drives me nuts a bit.
    "It's hollow"
    Hollow this, hollow that!
    Do people honestly think that the toys of old were made of entirely solid chunks of plastic?
    News flash: they weren't. Aside from internal workings for joints and gimmicks, they were hollow too!
    The only change is that now you can see it!

• Like Like x 8
  18. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is what bothers most people even if they do not fully explain that as the reason

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  19. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

I hate those types that want an update of a character we just got, I’m talking about the people who want “non-headmaster” versions of characters who were lucky to even get a toy.

• Like Like x 9
  20. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is pretty annoying. I got Sky Lynx way late in the game and tried looking for some limbs for him, only to find stores had mostly sold out by then, and re-sellers were charging $50 for even guys like Alpha Bravo and Rook. I can only imagine how it is trying to find an actual canon team.

• Like Like x 2