The Official Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capirus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    If you want to complain about scalper prices... fine. But enough of this bullshit of guilting people who do buy from scalpers. You have no idea their situation. This idea that if you don't pay retail you are the scum of the earth is utter bullshit; everyone places value on figures and it can be wildly different so enough of the guilt trips and holier than though attitudes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Now that's a rant.

I'm sorry bro. Sounds like you've had quite the run of bad luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

I think it is ridiculous if someone posts an unpopular or controversial opinion, then be swarmed by alot of people who are mad at them for having a different opinion. That's how they think, and you're rage posts will do nothing to sway them. All you're doing is creating drama out of one person's opinion. If you disagree then do it in a thoughtful manner, but not by direct attacks!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Metro Prime

Metro Prime No sympathy for the self-inflicted

TrU never managed to build their own online presence, instead choosing to outsource online sales with Amazon for 10 million which was not exclusive and led to further financial losses.

In 2005 TrU was purchased by Bain Capitol (a group of investors who kill businesses with poor management choices) also purchased fellow Toy seller FAO Schwartz and tanked it as well. It seems their corporate strategy includes poor customer service, limited inventory, and not staying competitive, and then making plans for liquidating everything for a huge payout for themselves.

And that's what I've learned from a quick Google search. There is a lot more to the story of TrU's failure, but that's the basic root of it.
    The business started failing, Bain Capitol purchased it with a "leveraged buyout" (buying the company with its own value?) and further ran it into the ground before liquidating the properties for an executive profit.

Bain Capitol is a business killer for executive profit.

Excuse my ignorance in such matters. I don't understand how they did half of what they did or why they choose Toy sellers to destroy with bad management. Considering their record of buying failing businesses and making them worse, only to liquidate for a personal profit, I'm wondering why anyone would want them anywhere near their business at all.
    One could simply liquidate their assets and enjoy their own personal profit and just skip these guys altogether.

But I admit I do not understand corporate decisions or why they are always so centered on profit now, and not long term gains. It baffles me.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    All I can imagine now is Bane from The Dark Knight Rises raising TRU over his head before breaking its back.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible TFW2005 Supporter

The real problem is that with the loss of dedicated retail toy stores like TRU, KayBee, and Child World it has made Hasbro completely reliant on stores like Target and WalMart. Since aisle space is at a premium in those stores, Hasbro is forced to focus on fewer and smaller toys. Dedicated toy stores could devote half an aisle to Transformers, which would allow Hasbro greater latitude in what they were able to make and sell. The reason we are getting so many store and online exclusives can be tied in part to the closing of TRU.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Mister D

We know Tarantulas is coming next year in a new mold. What more do you want?

• Like Like x 1
  8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're not alone. After a while, every TRU near me that I could get to was the same old song and dance. If they did have something I wanted, they wouldn't sell it to me because of street dates. If they didn't have something I wanted, they had a ton of it weighing down the pegs and shelves. They were doing 2021 pricing back in 2016! (And somehow, we actually paid it. Not sure why, but we did.) The only thing I'll give 'em is this... If you called and you got the right person on the phone, they'd actually help you and hold items for you so you could go and pick 'em up. No muss, no fuss, in most cases. Can you imagine them being open, now? They'd be filled to the gills, underwater in Selects boxes laying around everywhere. They'd be great for exclusives...to a point.

I don't know if their rebirth will ever happen, but if it does, it worries me. I want to have hope that the new CEO and company would be able to run the place the way it needs to be, but when the two pop-up stores that existed for roughly a year (maybe less) closed due to opening during the pandemic (who's bad timing was that?!) it told me all I needed to know.

I see both sides of the argument. I do. On the one hand, feeding the scalpers is a TERRIBLE thing because it helps them manipulate the market in their favor. It really sucks. On the other hand, I've lived in CRAP places where distribution doesn't even come close to that zip code. I could tell you horror stories from Energon, onward. Oh, man... Getting those Maximus combiners completed was a financial nightmare. I think I paid close to $150.00 to get all three completed. And this is 2004 money we're talking about. Had to. No one had them locally, no one had them online at the time except scalpers on eBay. It hasn't gotten much better since then. BBTS has fallen by the wayside on a lot of things since then and there are so many stores to deal with these days it's all a blur. =\

9. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    What's more frustrating is there is this false narrative that "If no one buys from them they will sell them cheaper!"

No... they won't. The scalpers will simply sit on the figures, wait till they are out of circulation, and STILL sell them for a high amount. Scalpers aren't stores that sell them on a discount. They buy them believing they will either 1) Turn around and sell them fast or 2) Hold onto them for a long time and sell later for an even higher amount.

And because someone has the wealth to be able to buy from a scalper so they don't need to waste time and money hunting for figures doesn't make them scum. Believe me... people who do buy from scalpers would LOVE to get their figures dirt cheap too. But they have evaluated the pros and cons and made a different decision than those that don't. Acting all high and mighty because "I only pay retail price" just makes you an ass.

• Like Like x 4
  10. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

Wait for real?!…..ignore my rant in that case

• Like Like x 1
  11. LegoLover58

LegoLover58 Bumblebee Gourmet

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Stop tormenting us with movie Bumblebees and reissue the Earthrise seekers already, Hasbro!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    S1 design with the TM saw weapon, I think deluxe

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mister D

Unless the scalpers have a warehouse they have to move the merchandise at some point. Rules of supply and demand still hold true. Wanna bet that Ironhide and Ratchet drop in price once the Legends: Evolution figures are released next year?

14. Dinocon93

Dinocon93 Dinobot Warrior

I figure this is how most scalpers live.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    MP's need to get it together.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrSoundwave64Z

MrSoundwave64Z Currently rebuilding my UT collection

I was transforming my RID 2001 Optimus Prime out of his super mode and I accidently flaked some chrome off the chest.

This pretty much sums up my reaction to that

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. BlastOff682

BlastOff682 Well-Known Member

You know, I'm really looking forward to getting all of these new figures coming like the worlds collide pack, origins bumblebee, SS figures and all that, but it's kinda discouraging to think that Scalpers are going to swipe them all up before I even have a chance to find them, (Reason I say this is because I had a bad experience with some of them once) since distribution has been so ass these past few years. I love toy collecting but it makes me upset to have to drive to a bunch of places hoping to find them and having no luck, I hope they make more so it's possible to actually find one.

• Like Like x 2
  18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Because they are acolytes of a religion that hates when non-rich people have the unmitigated gall to experience happiness.

19. Metro Prime

Metro Prime No sympathy for the self-inflicted

Ah yes, the religion of corporate greed. Where you look down upon all of those who didn't screw everyone over for a dollar. It's all the fault of the meek and merciful.

Behold a new Christ
    Behold the same old horde
    Gather at the altering
    New beginning, new word
    And the word was death
    And the word was without light
    The new beatitude
    Good luck, you're on your own

Blessed are the fornicants
    May we bend down to be their whores
    Blessed are the rich
    May we labor, deliver them more

Blessed are the envious
    Bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain
    Blessed are the gluttonous
    May they feast us to famine and war

What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful?
    What of the meek, the mourning, and the merciful?
    All doomed
    All doomed

Behold a new Christ
    Behold the same old horde
    Gather at the altering
    New beginning, new word
    And the word was death
    And the word was without light
    The new beatitude
    Good luck

What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful?
    What of the meek, the mourning, and the merciful?
    What of the righteous?
    What of the charitable?
    What of the truthful, the dutiful, the decent?

Doomed are the poor
    Doomed are the peaceful
    Doomed are the meek
    Doomed are the merciful
    For the word is now death
    And the word is now without light
    The new beatitude
    Fuck the doomed, you're on your own

The Doomed - A Perfect Circle

• Like Like x 1
  20. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously what a huge waste of packaging. At least if you’re gonna fit a Legends in a Deluxe box give him a shitton of weapons like you did with SS-44, Hasbro.
    BE75E55E-8612-43AE-82CE-68FA9B346304.png

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 8