The Official Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capirus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Fucking how??? Some paint just seeped in, and now this shit happens? Ordered some gorilla glue so it’s not the end of the world but still
    9084D481-90EC-4AAC-8DB8-CCF8DCF54B1E.jpeg

2. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

This is the problem with society as a whole, tee hee.

Yeah... It's frustrating how susceptible electronic systems, websites, and social media are to manipulation and abuse. Botting. Brigading. Censorship. Boosting. De-boosting. Shadow-bans. Sketchy shit. Who knows what's real or who's in control of what?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Depends on the paint type , some aren’t meant for certain plastics . And when it comes to joints like that sometimes it just cracks from the thinner in the paint + stress or some other chemical reaction.

4. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    I didn't use any thinner, and the primer and paint are all Tamiya...

5. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Gundam & Micron Densetsu Enthusiast

News Credits:
    Nut sure if this is relevant info, but certain types of paint such as enamel-based paint are known to react poorly with some formula of bare plastics, making them more brittle (At least on Bandai's Gundam model kits).

If the Tamiya primer and paint you've used are Enamel-based, that might be what's going on with your Megatron.

6. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    yeah like what @YellowCorvette said if you’re using enamel paints that might be the case. Red / yellow / white paints regardless are pretty damn corrosive when they seep into joints from what I remember . Best to just mask and spray

7. Mudslide

Mudslide Sick of exclusives

Plastic crack is addictive but cracked plastic is depressing.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:

They are, actually.
    Which really only goes to prove this post right.

When you look for these on ebay, there are few, and those few are selling for the prices listed. This isn’t scalping. Scalping is buying something with the intention of turning around and selling it for double to con people. This figure is selling for the prices asked for it, and thus thats it’s true value. Material/cost value? No. Thats even cheaper then what Hasbro charges you(cause you know, they have to make money somehow.)

But this isn’t scalping at this point.

For example. I have an Earthrise Runabout I bought it last year. I want to sell it. If it goes for $50 on the aftermarket, I would be a fool for not selling it at that price. I’ve seen people on here demand that all aftermarket items be around MSRP, but thats just not how value works.

If if I told you I had an exclusive figure from 20 years ago that there were only 200 copies made, and I paid $60, but it goes for $600. It’s not worth $60, the consensus of people who own it or want to own it, have decided it’s worth $600. And truthfully, it because of it’s nature.

SS Dotm, while not an exclusive, was a highly sought after figure that not only comes with one of the objectively best Movie Optimus figures to date, but all his accessories and trailer to boot. Not to mention his status as the star of a movie trilogy that was an objective success. That alone makes it highly valuable to hundreds of thousands of collectors around the globe, and would mean it’s value would only appreciate after Hasbro stopped selling them.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. OZsket

OZsket Well-Known Member

I think SS Ironhides ******ed prices come from his scuffed release.

10. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

True.

For buying TFs specifically, one benefit of the current world is that the "market" is technically global. The prices I see on ebay have been insane for quite some time. But I can compare these prices to (non-ebay) shops in Japan, Spain, Italy, France, the Netherlands, the UK, the US and get a more accurate idea of the true market value of an item.

Some examples:
    I recently bought a complete Energon Wing Saber. On ebay he goes for $200 to $400. I widened my net, searched other shops and countries and found him for $50.
    I found a new sealed Generations Tankor for $24 delivered from Australia from some action figure shop there.

• Like Like x 2
  11. volatus

That's just an opinion, not a fact, and it's one I don't share. Sometimes it's not just about getting as much money as you can. Sometimes it's possible to do things for a mixture of motivations, and make\charge less money than you maybe could. But then, it's your figure, and you're certainly free to dispense with it as you choose.

It works however you want it to work. If you want it to work that way, then it works that way. I've never charged anyone more than retail plus shipping for a figure. But again, that's your choice... Just don't pretend it's impossible to do things the way some people feel it should be done. We're not helpless and forced to compromise with an uncaring world here. Any one of us can make it a little bit better at any time we choose.

12. deaddude

deaddude Well-Known Member

Ironically, doing this - selling sought after items for prices far below what people are paying - effectively rewards scalping. If I know a figure goes for $100 on the secondary market, and I see you selling it for $20, I may as well scoop it up even if I don't want the figure, because I know I can easily flip it. The audience for buying your very-flippable item is likely larger than the audience for the figure itself, because pretty scalpers scouring the secondary markets will take anything they can get. Selling it for closer to the market value, say $80 in this example, actually better ensures that it'll get into the hands of a genuine fan because there is little to no money to be made in flipping it. What you're doing isn't fighting scalpers, you're fighting market valuation.

• Like Like x 5
  13. volatus

Of course. I'm not just putting up a listing for $20 for an item that sells for $100+, that would be silly. A reseller would immediately buy it. I only make those offers directly to individuals, usually people I know or have worked with before. Sometimes to strangers, who later became friends. Yes, it could bite me in the ass with someone just going "lol that guy is stupid I'm just gonna resell this" but it hasn't happened yet that I'm aware of, and if it did, it would certainly not reflect good integrity on the part of the individual. Then again, liars and scammers are out there, of course. I just like the concept of "keeping it in the family," as it were; helping another collector obtain and enjoy something at a good price, as others have done for me. Don't worry, it comes around. And even if it doesn't, there is a kind of reward inherent in becoming the change you desire from the world.

• Like Like x 2
  14. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

I've done a bit of both when selling. In most cases I would be a fool to sell anywhere else besides ebay, but when I do I tend to sell it for a bit under the current ebay market price.

I will add that the best place to sell figures for cheap and ensure that they get into the hands of genuine fans would be at conventions or on websites such as this. So the prices I list on my sales here for example would be considerably below the price I set on ebay.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fallout

Fallout GARY WAS OUT DRIVING DRUNK BEFORE WE LEFT BED

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    didn't everyone hate universe/henkei dinobot and the 10th anniversary/cybertron megatron and primal molds?? why can't i find, like, any of them complete and/or not absurdly priced? i got a $30 green megatron a couple months ago but dinobot and primal in both of their decoes are almost totally dried up unless you want a junker or wanna drop $60-100 on a deluxe that nobody has made sound worth it lol

16. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're talking about the Dinobot with the faction-changing symbol on his chest, Deluxe Class, correct? If so. PM me.

17. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible TFW2005 Supporter

This would explain the condition of my recent Core Class Dracodon and Soundwave boxes.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  18. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...I can actually hear it, in my head, in his voice. I can hear it!

19. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    This makes me mad, and not at BBTS.
    5900E591-A63A-4E0D-ADE6-944ACEF4A34B.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  20. maloney4playz

maloney4playz tfp enjoyer, waspinator appreciator

bruh ive been trying to hunt down the ss32 optimus mold for ages and the only place i have a chance at getting him is to get the oversized KO that's out of scale with evey other figure in my collection

i feel for you man, finding a toy when you either cannot buy it or you pick something else just hurts. i found ER skylynx and an MPM barricade in store on discounts, and then i chose to get ss car dropkick instead, and i had the money to get them both. then another time i saw a mattel spinosaurus, but chose to get ER starscream instead. all i've learnt from this is that "if you want and can get something, then by all means get it." anyways thats also why i now have ss86 grimlock and kingdom galvaron on the same desk

apparently ironhide and ratchet are coming in the ss86 line so theres still some hope

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1